Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2022, 16:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kia Seltos now gets 6 airbags, rear disc brakes as standard

The Kia Seltos is likely to get some updates later this year, including 6 airbags across all variants.

Kia Seltos now gets 6 airbags, rear disc brakes as standard-screenshot-20220723-162744.jpg

The updated Seltos could start arriving at dealerships by August 2022. The revised equipment list is said to affect the car’s pricing as well. So, expect a slight bump in the ex-showroom prices.

At present, the Kia Seltos is offered eight different trims. The SUV gets 4 airbags as standard, along with features such as ESC, Hill Assist Control, Vehicle Stability Management, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System and all-wheel disc brakes with brake assist.

No mechanical changes are expected, and the SUV will continue with the same set of engine options – 1.5-litre petrol, 1.4-litre turbo-petrol and 1.5-litre diesel.

Thanks to Anshumaan for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 23rd July 2022 at 16:30.
TusharK is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 16:52   #2
BANNED

re: Kia Seltos now gets 6 airbags, rear disc brakes as standard

i think with the impending mandatory 6 airbags rule kicking in from October 1, 2022, KIA is gradually updating its lineup to comply with the mandate. First, they made 4 airbags standard across their lineup in their 2022 lineup from April 2022, now moving on to 6 airbags.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 20:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Kia Seltos is likely to get some updates later this year, including 6 airbags across all variants.

Attachment 2337596

The updated Seltos could start arriving at dealerships by August 2022. The revised equipment list is said to affect the car’s pricing as well. So, expect a slight bump in the ex-showroom prices.

At present, the Kia Seltos is offered eight different trims. The SUV gets 4 airbags as standard, along with features such as ESC, Hill Assist Control, Vehicle Stability Management, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System and all-wheel disc brakes with brake assist.

No mechanical changes are expected, and the SUV will continue with the same set of engine options – 1.5-litre petrol, 1.4-litre turbo-petrol and 1.5-litre diesel.

Thanks to Anshumaan for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News
Sir i am looking to book the Seltos Diesel base variant within this month.. So do you suggest that I wait for the update or book now. Also if I book now, I presume there is a waiting period of around 3 to 4 months, so will I get the updated model.
But lastly I have been hearing that the Seltos new model will be launched in the Jan 2023 Auto Expo and will start selling post that only. So what's your take on that.
Old 23rd July 2022, 21:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcatcher83 View Post
Sir i am looking to book the Seltos Diesel base variant within this month.. So do you suggest that I wait for the update or book now. Also if I book now, I presume there is a waiting period of around 3 to 4 months, so will I get the updated model.
But lastly I have been hearing that the Seltos new model will be launched in the Jan 2023 Auto Expo and will start selling post that only. So what's your take on that.
If you're looking at the base variant, then it makes sense to wait for the update where it'll get 6 airbags as standard. Don't compromise with safety on an already unsafe car.

Whether you'll get the updated car after booking or not, is something to be discussed with your SA. I understand that you haven't made a booking yet, so it's best to go to your nearest dealership and have a chat with them.

Regarding the launch of facelifted Seltos, i could only find an exact timeline of January'23 on Autocar India's article and nowhere else. They get their stuff wrong sometimes as well.

So, it depends on whether you want the car now, willing to wait 3 months for updated Seltos with 6 airbags or willing to wait for 6+ months for the facelifted Seltos which may or may not arrive in January'23.

Last edited by Doonite : 23rd July 2022 at 21:09.
Doonite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 15:27   #5
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I had been to SVM Kia in Chennai and the SA confirmed the following

- They just had the training today for the updated Kia Seltos
- Gets 6 airbags across the range with no increase in price
- Updated model going into production today
- HTK+ IMT (the model i was looking to buy due to its convenience) gets All Black interiors.

Kia is taking customer feedback very seriously.

On a side note - SVM Kia is much better than Capital Kia in Churns.

Reason - I wanted to drive the post-April 2022 IMT Diesel to check out the improved suspension and the IMT in Diesel.

At SVM I got the exact variant, exact Transmission and Engine and with improved suspension.

At Capital - I had to drive a pre-Apr 2022 HTX+ which was good, but i could not experience the IMT first hand and the suspension was pretty harsh.

Last edited by MAS : 25th July 2022 at 15:33.
MAS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 11:00   #6
MAS
Senior - BHPian

6 airbags confirmed in all variants of Seltos

MAS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 14:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Kia India has given the Seltos an update to now include six airbags on all variants, hiking the prices for the base models by Rs 30,000.

Prices for the Kia Seltos now range between Rs 10.49 lakh-18.65 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

Kia Seltos now gets 6 airbags, rear disc brakes as standard-smartselect_20220801143036_chrome.jpg

Quote:
Before this, Kia offered six airbags only on the higher-spec HTX+, GTX(O), GTX+ and X-Line trims of the Seltos, but now it's been made available on the HTE, HTK, HTK+ and HTX trims too.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st August 2022 at 14:38.
Venkatesh is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 17:35   #8
BHPian

Offering 6 airbags and rear disc brakes as standard is a welcome move from Kia. While there is little they can now do about the body shell, hopefully these features will help in preventing fatal impacts. Koreans understand Indian market very well - They know how to capitalize on features that are set to be mandatory pretty soon. I am hoping, their next generation of cars will have the same structural build quality they offer in other markets.
enj0y_ride is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 19:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos now gets 6 airbags, rear disc brakes as standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Kia India has given the Seltos an update to now include six airbags on all variants, hiking the prices for the base models by Rs 30,000.

Prices for the Kia Seltos now range between Rs 10.49 lakh-18.65 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

Attachment 2340698

Source
So there is no value added for the higher models, but still there is a 20,000 increase in cost. That's just fleecing, because there is demand and a huge que outside their showrooms. Good job Kia
aravind.anand is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 06:24   #10

So even if we assume Kia is not making any profit on these parts (highly unlikely), it shows that it just costs ~3% extra for them to add these critical features. Its high time that companies start taking safety seriously. They are anyway charging so much in the name of supply chain issues and everything else, this price increase was completely unnecessary for adding safety features. Kia has missed a very good chance to create goodwill by not charging anything for these features.
Old 2nd August 2022, 07:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
So there is no value added for the higher models, but still there is a 20,000 increase in cost. That's just fleecing, because there is demand and a huge que outside their showrooms. Good job Kia
Yeah, and they recently moved all the automatics - except one CVT - to the top-end models, so folks just have to cough up 21+ lakhs for an AT Seltos. Car companies just don't leave anything on the table for customers these days.
AdhikR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 07:30   #12
BHPian

Kia can try all it can, but unstable body shell issue will continue to be there till the time proper corrections are not made. Such safety features and airbags can only give some sense of security to cover for such poor built.

Hopefully, with Toyota and Maruti finally entering this highly competitive compact SUV segment and by clocking 1 Lakh bookings already (Brezza and Grand Vitara; NA for Hyryder), Hyundai and Kia waiting should come down and by next year they may start thinking about USPs and which shortcomings to seriously address.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 2nd August 2022 at 07:33.
manpreetsj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 09:49   #13
BHPian

welcome move from KIA both on carens and now on seltos. Hope all other manufacturers follows. Now the customer is empowered to not compromise on safety while choosing the variant.
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Kia India has given the Seltos an update to now include six airbags on all variants
Nothing but applauses to Kia for this.

While Kia will have the first mover advantage and will definitely be a safer alternative to base models of rivals, not sure how long will the advantage last unless they work on the passive safety!

Within next 3 months, all its rivals will gain 6 airbags as standard due to compulsion and the Kia will once again be the least safest in its segment as the Japanese and Germans rivals will have the same active safety equipment but will be better at passive safety (The Japanese are based on 4 star Brezza and Germans are... Germans!)

While Kia is doing good work on active safety, I hope they address the poor crash test scores as well, as it doesn't feel good to see that the 5 lakh rupee S-Presso and Kwid have a better crash test score than a 20 lakh rupee SUV(on paper!)
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:04   #15
Team-BHP Support

Meanwhile, the kind of side airbags they have in India -

Kia Seltos now gets 6 airbags, rear disc brakes as standard-screenshot_20220802121054_youtube.jpg

v/s a base variant tested in ANCAP -

Kia Seltos now gets 6 airbags, rear disc brakes as standard-screenshot_20220802120726_chrome.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd August 2022 at 12:12.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (43) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks