Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 13:15   #166
BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Been looking at the C class...
Got a quote for the service plan and the extended warranty.
Can a current owner comment on the costs? Looks very overpriced to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-screenshot_20190327131311__01.jpg  

sleepyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 20:29   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_1732 View Post
I am also looking at a similar option because the OEM one is costing a lot of money which I don't think is worth investing in a 7+ year old car of mine. Can you please comment on the performance of the battery you are presently using. Also, if possible share the exact model and specifications as well.

I am also facing this typical issue where once I give the self, the engine at once cranks up before tripping off(switching off) on its own almost immediately. I called my mechanic today, as the car was recently serviced, and they told me that its an issue with the battery. Also, I noticed that when I was starting my car using an external jump start battery, it's starting normally without any problem. If anyone can comment upon the observation made by my mechanic regarding the battery replacement it would be great. I am sure someone here must have faced a similar issue, so I request them to please share their experience and propose a solution.
I changed my battery to Amaron DIN80 battery today as my mechanic was dead sure this starting issue is purely related to battery despite me strongly opposing to the idea. However, to my expectation, the problem remained as it is despite the change of battery. Then, I tried to start the key with my spare key which was not used in a long while and the car started on the very first attempt. Then i tried 2-3 times and it started every time without engine getting turned off. However, to confirm it was an issue related to the first key, I used the first key to start the car and guess what, it again displayed the same starting problem.

I read about it on one of the forums for Mercedes Benz. So, I wanted to share with everyone here and also expect people to share if they have had any similar experience.

Also, as per the forum, the first key has gone out of sync. So, can anyone suggest how it can be synced again to my car or if there is any other possible resolution to this typical problem.
harry_1732 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 17:56   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
I just picked up a C220d last week. A few queries for this team. Appreciate your responses. Thanks in advance.
Hi Naresh!

Congratulations on picking up a new car! I hope you are enjoying it. I will try and answer at least some of your questions:

1. I did think quite a bit about installing a dash-cam and did some research. I ended up deciding not to get one because of all the extra wiring needs. There is a fuse-box cover in the front passenger foot-well (spotted it in my C300d).

2. Pushing the volume rocker on the center console will help you mute the radio out. AFAIK, there is no other way.

3. Here is my method - Push down on the fan speed button until the speed goes down to zero and you see a message on the footer section of the screen saying 'Climate control switched off'

4. Yes, I asked this question to my SA as well and they suggested that I keep the lights on auto.

5. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto are not a part of the kit on the current gen W205. AFAIK, the next generation MBUX system coming out in the newer cars (A Class included) allows for you to have wireless connections (at least for CarPlay).

6. I struggle with this one too! Unfortunately, there is no option to change the reading from KpA to PSI. As a matter of fact, none of the tyre pressure tuckshops have a machine capable of displaying the pressure in KpA except for the one used by Mercedes (happened to stand by a Mercedes Tech who was doing a tyre rotation/balance job on my car). Now I use an online converter to convert tyre pressures to PSI and keep my tyre pressure OCD in check.

Best,
Arun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyk View Post
Been looking at the C class.
Hey!

I would totally suggest that you work out a deal with your dealer. The numbers on 3-year service package can be brought down significantly. I negotiated this as a part of my deal. I will PM you the details if you would like.

From what I understand, the extended warranty prices are not that negotiable and will remain in the same ballpark range.

Best,
Arun

Last edited by aah78 : 19th April 2019 at 18:41. Reason: Posts merged. Typos fixed. Please avoid quoting large posts entirely. Thanks!
akunchala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 18:55   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyk View Post
Been looking at the C class...
Our C220d will be completing it's 3rd year in August this year - hopefully having racked up 15,000kms of use.

Our service costs so far:

1st Service (4,000kms): Rs. 31,466 though it included a few additonal jobs like Wheel Alignment etc.
2nd Service (10,000kms): Rs. 55,638 including rear brake pad replacement, air filter replacement, etc.
I expect the third service to also be similar - with the front brake pads probably due for replacement.

In addition to this, the following work was carried out:

Front Seatbelt Sensor Failure - under warranty
AC Filter Change due to smell - Rs. 11,793
Secondary Battery Capacitor changed + Driver's side power window needed to be cleaned as the window wouldn't go fully up on the first try - under warranty.

Total cost: Rs. 98,897 + 3rd service cost.

If you see yourself driving it more than my car runs - it may make sense to get the service package for additional wear and tear items. A lot of users complain that the brake pads wear out under 20Kkm, and in my case the rear brake pads surprisingly were nearly worn out at 10,000kms!
I have avoided it due to lower running, and same for the extended warranty at the moment.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:34   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akunchala View Post
I would totally suggest that you work out a deal with your dealer. The numbers on 3-year service package can be brought down significantly. I negotiated this as a part of my deal. I will PM you the details if you would like.

From what I understand, the extended warranty prices are not that negotiable and will remain in the same ballpark range.
Thanks a bunch for the responses. A couple of things that I wanted to check:

1. Unlike other cars, the Owner's manual has no section on Service Schedule or Maintenance checklist table (unless I really missed it). Any idea how and where to find it?

2. Would anyone know what is the lowest that we can get 3 year maintenance package? Compact and Compact plus are the options but the former does not look that impressive.
Old 24th April 2019, 13:31   #171
BHPian

Quote:
1. Unlike other cars, the Owner's manual has no section on Service Schedule or Maintenance checklist table (unless I really missed it). Any idea how and where to find it?
I did not look specifically for the maintenance schedule as my SA and the Merc Customer Support folks spoke to me about it. Initial and the only free check-up after 3 months of ownership. Regular service at 15k KMs or 1-year interval.

Quote:
2. Would anyone know what is the lowest that we can get 3 year maintenance package? Compact and Compact plus are the options but the former does not look that impressive.
I have the Compact Plus 3 year package which includes the consumables. I will message you the details.
akunchala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 17:56   #172
BHPian

I have a 2013 GL350. The car has run 109000 KMs. It is a single owner car and has always been serviced only at MB service centers in Nagpur and Jabalpur. Few weeks ago I saw a puddle of what felt like coolant under the car. Started the car, and sure enough there was an error message regarding low coolant level. Opened the bonnet to check for coolant level, and it was pretty low. I refilled it with water as I didnt have any coolant handy, and took it straight to Auto Hangar (SVC in Nagpur). Initially Auto Hangar could not find any leak. I told them to flush the system and refill it with new coolant. 2 days later, they called to let me know that they have diagnosed the issue as a leaky O ring inside the aux water pump. The fix? replace the pump and pay them 46k. Now I'm no auto mech, but I am sure if you encounter a leaky seal you fix the seal and not replace the part itself.

Now my question is, has any other owner faced anything similar? The car has been mechanically flawless till date and I've only had one issue with the sunroof which got covered in warranty. I am not buying the SVC's recommendation that I need a new pump for this. There are a few mechanics who service high end cars in Nagpur, but I dont have first hand accounts of any of their customers so I am a bit skeptical in giving the car to them. They do seem like people who know what they are doing.
Old 25th April 2019, 18:08   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
The fix? replace the pump and pay them 46k. Now I'm no auto mech, but I am sure if you encounter a leaky seal you fix the seal and not replace the part itself.
A lot of manufacturers have adopted a 'replace, not repair' policy, and a bunch of them do not support child parts being changed at the workshop, which probably explains why they are suggesting to replace the entire pump.

A friendly, and of course very well reputed and experienced independent mechanic may be a better option from a cost perspective.
Personally, unless I was fully confident of the mechanic, I'd just go with Mercedes A.S.S. as poor workmanship & other issues may just not be worth it.
Old 25th April 2019, 18:19   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
A lot of manufacturers have adopted a 'replace, not repair' policy, and a bunch of them do not support child parts being changed at the workshop, which probably explains why they are suggesting to replace the entire pump.

I understand it is probably company policy and not professional incompetence on the part of the A.S.S. The guy handling my car is most likely adept at it enough that he can repair the part in his spare time, if the company would allow him to.
Old 25th April 2019, 18:22   #175
BHPian

I've always been a Mercedes Benz admirer. That said, I find their service costs in India to be extortionate!

This is why I own Classic Mercedes Benz models. They have ALL of the comfort and luxury with < half the service costs. A W124 or W126 are the epitome of solid build quality and stature but cost as much as a Japanese executive offering to maintain. What's more, the lack of electronics mean that they're easier to maintain and run without any of the risk of leaving you stranded.
Screwdriva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 12:43   #176
BHPian

My C Clas 220 CDI turned 4 today. Its done a total of 28,000 km. I got a service estimate from Mercedes showroom for engine oil, oil filter, AC filter, and diesel filter replacement of Rs. 62,000. Considering this to be too high I tried reaching Benchmark Motors in Ludhiana. They are the authorized dealers for Renault and recently started servicing of high-end cars. The same materials were replaced for a cost of Rs. 29,000. I have run the car 1,000 km after the service and its running fine.
I also had an issue that my brake pads wore out every 12000 km to which they replied that the standard brake pads of the model have a life of 12000-15000 km only. The replacement cost at Mercedes showroom is close to Rs. 18,000 and benchmark gave a quote of Rs. 10,000.
Any other options from where I can go in for servicing at better quality and lesser prices are welcome. Secondly, I would want to know if there are other people also who get their Merc serviced from a non-Merc dealership?
rickygupta2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 18:09   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
Secondly, I would want to know if there are other people also who get their Merc serviced from a non-Merc dealership?
I get my cars serviced by authorised MB service only. BUT, for my C Class i got the parts from Mumbai at 1/4th the cost and they charged me labour only. Have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th April 2019 at 15:44.
Old 14th June 2019, 08:11   #178
BHPian

Mercedes-Benz appoints Santosh Iyer as India head of sales and marketing

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-mediahandler.jpeg

Santhosh Iyer, currently Vice President of Customer Service & Corporate Affairs, will succeed Michael Jopp who assumes the new responsibility of heading the Sales & Marketing function of Mercedes-Benz in Malaysia.

Source - Business Standard

Mercedes Benz India is offering discounts up to Rs 12.80 lakh off on Mercedes-Benz S-class, E-class, GLA, GLE and more.

Related article
Old 20th June 2019, 17:18   #179
BHPian

My Mercedes C 220 2015 model was picked for some software upgrade by MB Ludhiana and they informed me that the battery of the car is about to die in a few months. The electronic scan shows that the battery replacement is needed but the advisor said that for a few months it will work.
I enquired the cost of the new battery and they say its Rs. 40,000 for MB branded battery. I would want to ask people here is there any other replacement that we can go through as 40,000 is looking too big an amount. User experiences would be preferred.
Old 20th June 2019, 19:19   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
I enquired the cost of the new battery and they say its Rs. 40,000 for MB branded battery. I would want to ask people here is there any other replacement that we can go through as 40,000 is looking too big an amount. User experiences would be preferred.
Mercedes-Benz uses AGM type batteries instead of flooded lead acid battery.
AGM is maintenance free, provides good electrical reliability and is lighter than the flooded lead-acid type. It charges quicker than lead acid battery type and offers more life. The battery for my E-class is too up for replacement, it's been more than 4 years. I just keep an jumper cable in the boot just in case.
However, there have been cases where traditional batteries are installed instead of AGM batteries, most of them work out fine but there are instances where electronics starts to misbehave.
I'll suggest you to go ahead with OEM replacement from Mercedes.

Last edited by Dhruv29 : 20th June 2019 at 19:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks