Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2021, 12:00   #331
BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by katil.garage View Post

I have some questions though, since your car in now over 7 years, is zero dep insurance still available? If yes, then till what age do they provide it?
Depends on the insurer to insurer. I have 2015 C 220 and zero dep is available even for the next year. One needs to do a little bit of hunting during renewals. For more details, you may DM me
rickygupta2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 15:57   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a local fix for the Auxiliary Battery or does have to get it from MB workshop only ?
Need one from my CLA it is a 12aH battery

Last edited by Sahil : 8th February 2021 at 16:02.
Old 19th February 2021, 01:54   #333
BHPian

My E200 is showing a “Front right malfunction” on the MID for the past few days. I was a bit shocked as the car has been immaculately maintained, only driven by me, and only clocked 23K kms. I then contacted T&T workshop and they told me to bring in the car for checking. But what really distressed me is that they can’t figure out the issue. They have told me that the they have to keep the car for a few days for observation. Is this normal ? I’m really in a pinch right now because my office is a good 20kms away from my home and this is my only car. I had a safari but I sold it in 2018.
Merc_Freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 09:11   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_Freak View Post
My E200 is showing a “Front right malfunction” on the MID for the past few days. I was a bit shocked as the car has been immaculately maintained, only driven by me, and only clocked 23K kms. I then contacted T&T workshop and they told me to bring in the car for checking. But what really distressed me is that they can’t figure out the issue. They have told me that the they have to keep the car for a few days for observation. Is this normal ? I’m really in a pinch right now because my office is a good 20kms away from my home and this is my only car. I had a safari but I sold it in 2018.
Minor electrical faults can show up regardless of how well you maintain the car. Most often they are faulty parts or sensors and sometimes even a software glitch.

They shouldn’t be taking this long, best you speak to the service head at the workshop on the diagnosis delay. In future ask for a loaner car, dealership do not give them easily however if you insist and only send the car once the loaner is available then you might get one. I usually adopt this strategy especially with Audi even though I have extra cars at home mainly because they love to take their own sweet time and me having their loaner is a bait for them to do the job quicker
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 10:04   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_Freak View Post
My E200 is showing a “Front right malfunction” on the MID for the past few days.
On doing a Google for keyword "E200 Front right malfunction"; it shows results as driver side air bag issue.

Video below shows that a simple fuse replaced resolved the issue. Give it a try.

Old 19th February 2021, 11:21   #336
BHPian

My dad's B-class is acting weird.
Basically at constant and low throttle inputs the car jerks a bit. Slight jerks, nothing violent but you can feel the car lurching. The revs also bounce around a bit. Fluctuating up and down. My dad's version is, "gaadi hichkole maarti hai." Sorry, this is a bit difficult to effectively translate to English.
This continues until the throttle is not varied. If you let off, then the jerks go away. If you accelerate then again the jerks go away.

According to the Merc service guy, this is because of a small crack in the pipe/hose that connects the turbo to the intercooler. His logic is that the variation in air flow (due to the leak) causes the jerks and the revs to bounce around.

Can anyone suggest if the diagnosis is right?
The cost to change the damaged hose/pipe is quoted to be around 20k.
Old 19th February 2021, 16:03   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Minor electrical faults can show up regardless of how well you maintain the car. Most often they are faulty parts or sensors and sometimes even a software glitch.

They shouldn’t be taking this long, best you speak to the service head at the workshop on the diagnosis delay. In future ask for a loaner car, dealership do not give them easily however if you insist and only send the car once the loaner is available then you might get one. I usually adopt this strategy especially with Audi even though I have extra cars at home mainly because they love to take their own sweet time and me having their loaner is a bait for them to do the job quicker
Thanks for your advice. I do know the branch head of t&t so that may help in fixing my issue on priority. I have never personally taken a loaner car before so that thought didn’t come to mind.
Old 20th February 2021, 11:19   #338
Senior - BHPian

Guys time to change tyres on my W205 C250D.

The car is currently running on Bridgestone Turanza RFT 225/50/17.

Is it advisable to switch from run flats to tube less?

Please suggest the right tyres. The car is mainly run on the highways and around once a week in city.

Did check out the Contisport contact5.

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1613800065.498438.jpg

Any reviews on this tyre?

Your suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Old 20th February 2021, 11:40   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

I heard Michelin supplies will resume around April. Not sure about the specific sizes though. I prefer Michelin, have not had issues with them. Not happy with Pirelli, and would avoid them in future.

You can switch to tubeless without any problem. Even with Runflats, we are expected to carry a spare on long drives for peace of mind. I think most owners now believe that tubeless is better than run flats for Indian driving conditions Runflats don't like potholes which is a higher risk than punctures. Not to mention the advantage of cost and availability.
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 19:25   #340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

You can switch to tubeless without any problem. Even with Runflats, we are expected to carry a spare on long drives for peace of mind. I think most owners now believe that tubeless is better than run flats for Indian driving conditions Runflats don't like potholes which is a higher risk than punctures. Not to mention the advantage of cost and availability.
Having driven 300km in a Mini Cooper today - please consider tubeless. I realised the relative absence of a suspension and road noise which made the car a bit wearing when driven at speed
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 19:53   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, please switch to tubeless as Ajmat pointed out! In our C, it's made a world of a difference in ride & NVH.
The C220 W205 has a softish suspension mated to stiff run flats that make the ride very crashy and noisy, but post tubeless change the car drives closer to how a Mercedes should.

Secondly we switched to contis sport contact 5 due to tyre restrictions and am very happy over the last 2-3Kkm.

So far they seem fairly tough (for the odd bump you may miss), great grip, and quiet tyres. Ride too is far improved over the RFTs.
The only negative I can think off is the slightly heavier steering + a little more rolling resistance.

These in my opinion are alsl superior to the Michelin P4ST (using these on the A6 & S Cross) in terms of grip and drive, though the Michelins will ride slightly better. The PS4 would be a better match with the PS4 being the more superior one.

Last edited by lamborghini : 20th February 2021 at 19:55.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 10:45   #342
BHPian

Since the following also affects the maintenance of the car, I found it plausible to ask this question on this thread, so please forgive me if it shouldn't have been posted here:

I am going to be transporting my C class from Delhi to Manipal University (near Mangalore) by driving it. It currently has 8.5k on the clock and the distance to be travelled is 2112km. If somebody has experience doing such a trip kindly help with the same. Is this a good idea to drive so long? How hard is it? How are the roads? etc. and most importantly will it damage the car in any way?

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I am just 20, so I don't have problem driving for distances upto 500km in a single run

Last edited by katil.garage : 10th March 2021 at 10:50.
Old 10th March 2021, 11:29   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katil.garage View Post
Since the following also affects the maintenance of the car, I found it plausible to ask this question on this thread, so please forgive me if it shouldn't have been posted here:

I am going to be transporting my C class from Delhi to Manipal University (near Mangalore) by driving it. It currently has 8.5k on the clock and the distance to be travelled is 2112km. If somebody has experience doing such a trip kindly help with the same. Is this a good idea to drive so long? How hard is it? How are the roads? etc. and most importantly will it damage the car in any way?

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I am just 20, so I don't have problem driving for distances upto 500km in a single run
Shouldn't be an issue. These cars are built for long trips and our highways are continuously improving.
That being said, Indian highways throw up nasty surprises in the form of road work, unmarked speed breakers, etc. You have to be careful on these to avoid underbody damage, and tyre damage.
Also maintain distance from other cars to avoid flying stones & chips that could damage body work.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 19:02   #344
Team-BHP Support

Friend of mine's GLE400 transmission controller gave up the ghost. Estimate is Rs 5 Lakhs. Luckily his law firm will pay for this. Told him that he should have gone to an independent!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 17:37   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Friend of mine's GLE400 transmission controller gave up the ghost. Estimate is Rs 5 Lakhs. Luckily his law firm will pay for this. Told him that he should have gone to an independent!
Is this a known issue with the GLE400? My colleague was looking at a pre-worshipped 2017 specimen a few months back in Delhi. We found out at the last minute that the transfer case was changed thrice in warranty. And with warranty over, we developed the chills at the prospect of it giving up again if we bought the car. Moved away from an otherwise fab deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks