Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2004, 20:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 01 2004,21:38)]2800 - Labor to Clean fuel injectors
4200 - Labor for changing lubes and filters.
Man, i could get my 40K service done for less then that labour charge of yours.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 7th May 2004, 22:10   #32
Team-BHP Support

2800 - Labor to Clean fuel injectors
5530 - 7 liters Mobil 1
799 - Oil filter
185 - Shampoo
1061 - Brake oil
960 - Coolant
1919 - Air filter
5674 - A/c filter
5544 - Fuel filter
1336 - Fuel hose
300 - Clips
4200 - Labor for changing lubes and filters.
80xx - Brake pads

Total? A cool 38,300!!!!!!!

Hey GTO.
I don’t know if it can be much of help but I would like to know
From DCIL about this. This looks obnoxious.
Can I check with them? Let me know.
I just need a photocopy of that bill.
Warm regards.
Rudra.
Old 8th May 2004, 00:05   #33
BHPian

Hey I have never had to get all this done in india so I am not familiar with terminologies but when you say service do you mean what they mean in US?? and if so I am shocked that you have to go through so many services at such an early stage?

In the US atleast for my infiniti the first service comes at 30,000 miles which is 50,000 km you are only 1/3 rd there..then the next is at 50,000 miles, then at 90,000 which is suppose to be a major service..all the rest is an oil change which is nominal @ 3000 miles or 3m, even benz in US I am pretty sure has figures close to what Infiniti has...guess what acuras dont need a service up until 100,000 miles...how cool is that...but there shouldnt be any difference in servicing an engine in US and in India..so how come DCIN has such schedules...

Can you explain me whats the difference?

Thanks,
C4S
Old 8th May 2004, 00:14   #34
BHPian

Well, like I said before, some of the dealers, (well I actually call them "stealers" ), make up there own "recommended" service schedule, which is usually much different than the one recommended by the car company. Don't go by what the stealers say, only perform what is necessary. Most of the stuff they are trying to charge GTO for falls under a 30k or 50k MILE service.

Just to give you an idea of recommended service intervals, for those merc. benz vechicles that leave the factory with MOBILE 1 already in the engine, mercedes recommends oil change intervals of 12months or 12,000 miles because of the extended life of the full synthetic MOBIL 1.

Old 8th May 2004, 14:23   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I just need a photocopy of that bill.
That will be great. Will give the estimate to you next week. Dont have the bill as I dont intend to pay more than 15 grand for the bill, and will be highly selective on the work to be performed on my Merc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]but there shouldnt be any difference in servicing an engine in US and in India..so how come DCIN has such schedules...
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]mercedes recommends oil change intervals of 12months or 12,000 miles because of the extended life of the full synthetic MOBIL 1.
The reason that the service intervals and concurrently oil changes are more frequent in India is because of the driving conditions. The atmosphere out here is a lot more dusty, the weather a lot hotter and the roads really terrible. Also unlike freeway cruising in the US, Indian traffic conditions are more bumper to bumper with the average speed attained per hour at a significantly lower level. Result? More wear and tear.

GTO
Old 8th May 2004, 21:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 08 2004,12:53)]The reason that the service intervals and concurrently oil changes are more frequent in India is because of the driving conditions. The atmosphere out here is a lot more dusty, the weather a lot hotter and the roads really terrible. Also unlike freeway cruising in the US, Indian traffic conditions are more bumper to bumper with the average speed attained per hour at a significantly lower level. Result? More wear and tear.

GTO
similar to driving conditions in the NYC/NJ area.
Old 9th May 2004, 01:43   #37
Team-BHP Support

Hey VTEC11,

By saying Bombay is similar to NYC/JY i guess you are talking about the traffic.
However, the climate in Bombay is ofcourse VERY different and there is a lot more dust and pollution in the air which does find its way into the oil slowly but surely! Thats the reason that changes are reqd more frequently in indian cities as compared to NYC/NJ.

cya
R
Old 9th May 2004, 05:08   #38
BHPian

Ok May be dust can be a reason, but not a reason good enuf to have 3 times quicker than usual..also if you see in NYC a lot of snow and rain also adds to different kinds of wear and tear to the engine and other parts..I still feel 16k km is not the right time, especially for a superior product like the benz and also you think US doesnt have dust..live in chicago where the wind is soo strong and dust is so fine that from the outside you will say wow, how clean, but touch and you will see layers and layers of dust..so I realyl dont think thats a good enuf reason..and traffic in NYC and Chicago is as bad....

Still wondering if it is required to get a service @ these schedules..these guys prescribe cuz they think ppl who buy these cars dont really care about the money..so..might as well...

thats my thought on it..

L8r

Old 9th May 2004, 05:36   #39
Team-BHP Support

Hey C4S,

I was just replying to VTEC11's post directly above mine and not disputing the fact that what has been suggested by the service center is over the top.
However when it comes to synthetic oils, (after the initial few thousand kilometers,) the more often you change your oil the better. Whether the conditions are like bombay or chicago, a merc can still EASILY do 50,000km without a change of mobil 1, but ofcourse, the more often you change the oil - the longer your engine will feel like new.
So the bottom line is that there is no exact answer, its upto the person to decide using their own judgement of the extraneous factors and what effect they think it has on the oil.

cheers
Rehaan.

Old 9th May 2004, 11:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ May 08 2004,16:06)]Hey C4S,

I was just replying to VTEC11's post directly above mine and not disputing the fact that what has been suggested by the service center is over the top.
However when it comes to synthetic oils, (after the initial few thousand kilometers,) the more often you change your oil the better. Whether the conditions are like bombay or chicago, a merc can still EASILY do 50,000km without a change of mobil 1, but ofcourse, the more often you change the oil - the longer your engine will feel like new.
So the bottom line is that there is no exact answer, its upto the person to decide using their own judgement of the extraneous factors and what effect they think it has on the oil.

cheers
Rehaan.
Oh I agree with you rehan that oil change needs to take place timely..may be in 3-5 months and few thousand kms..but my point was an oil change shouldnt cost anything more than 5000 may be 7000 Rs for any kind of car..what all do they have to do..practically nothing..but what GTO has been asked to do is a service which is different..I know my drivers in india use the word service as oil change...but it really isnt..so the whole point that merc is practically doing a major service @ 16000km is ridiculous..oil change...yes i agree required..but service...???

even cuz of the conditions I would say the first service a merc would have to do should be around 40000km and then may be 75000 and then 100,000km...

This for the dealers

Old 9th May 2004, 13:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

C4S,
Its just just the Km's that matter when it comes to service this is how it goes in india...

1st @ 3000km which is a free checkup.
2nd @ 10000 or one year whatever is earlier.
3rd @ 20,000 or two years whatever is earlier.. and so on every 10,000 or a year ...
Old 9th May 2004, 14:03   #42
Team-BHP Support

Was talking to the guy where I buy my frozen meat from. He has an old 190D W201 - does all the maintenance by himself a mechanic who comes home. One day, the oil pressure was at 1, Sundram motors quoted 2 lakhs to overhaul the engine. His mechanic checked the oil pressure line to the gauge - small leak
Old 10th May 2004, 03:06   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (S350L-E240 @ May 08 2004,23:58)]C4S,
Its just just the Km's that matter when it comes to service this is how it goes in india...

1st @ 3000km which is a free checkup.
2nd @ 10000 or one year whatever is earlier.
3rd @ 20,000 or two years whatever is earlier.. and so on every 10,000 or a year ...
Hey man, I think what you are talking about is not a service but an oil change..service means an overhaul for the engine which means the engine has gone through a ton of wear and tear and the manufacture needs to recondition it..but in india..we use the word service interchangably with oil change..which is not right..

L8r
Old 14th May 2004, 20:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

How come the labor charges are so high when everything they do is done with the help of sophisticated mahinery and laptops...All the mechanics,ucually, have to do is just press some buttons and knobs. How much manual labor is involved in regular servicing?
Old 15th May 2004, 01:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

hey gto
cant you provide the engine oil?
since your are already getting it for rs 250 bucks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks