Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2023, 15:13   #511
BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Though I would strongly advice you to go through a proper list of what all is covered in this price.
I will definitely do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Get it!
The C is a new product and is bound to have niggles. Get the maximum warranty now itself as after a while they will jack up prices (like if you buy the extended warranty after X months from date of sale the prices will be higher than if you buy it within the first Y months).
Yes, the prices are fixed through the first 6 months of ownership, so we have 3 more months until they get jacked up.

We will probably go ahead with the warranty after going through the coverage details. Thank you both!
Old 12th May 2023, 17:48   #512
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Synthetic oil doesn't go bad in a year regardless. Kms is important but you don't really need to change it every year with just 5-6k kms running Unless of course you have a warranty that they will void.
I usually see that the oil has become mid to dark brown and feels a bit sticky to the touch as compared to fresh new oil. Hence I change all my cars oils and filters every year.
I feel happier when I do this.
Old 12th May 2023, 19:51   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I usually see that the oil has become mid to dark brown and feels a bit sticky to the touch as compared to fresh new oil. Hence I change all my cars oils and filters every year.
I feel happier when I do this.
If it makes you happy, then you should do it just for your peace of mind.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 00:01   #514
Senior - BHPian

Where do you folks get your brake pads from? Car in question is a w212 e 350 CDI pre facelift.

Thanks in advance
Pramod
Old 13th May 2023, 23:35   #515
Senior - BHPian

Do any of the FNGs in Bengaluru have the Xentry online or Star diagnostics systems? Most of the FNGs I have seen seem to have only the generic OBD2 readers like Thinkdiag.
Old 27th June 2023, 20:23   #516
Senior - BHPian

I got the replace Brake pads message on my MID 2 days back. The front Brake pads were worn out. The rear ones will last for another 5K when the next service B is due.

Due to extensive brake dust, I wanted to switch over to Ceramic pads and my mechanic has been asking his sources for the past few months. Bosch, Brembo, EBC, etc don't seem to make the ceramic brake pads for the w246 in India.

Finally got the 'Magma Proseries' shipped from Pune. It is a USA based company manufacturing in China. No online reviews were available and only 1 YouTube unboxing video.

The kit had the brake pads, sensor and brake grease sachet with fresh bellows and screws (14mm instead of the original 13mm). Installation was straightforward. There is no noise now but brakes are a bit spongy. Will have to wait for a couple of 100 Kms before commenting on the braking performance.

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-8b9871aed6454c4c9759bb59a4b51a68.jpg

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-47c53e9fa5704512a7afb83f89040659.jpg
Old 11th July 2023, 15:57   #517
BHPian

In 2022, I had sent my W204 C200 for some repairs and a service to Global Star. They had replaced my engine mounts and a few other minor bits. Most people who saw the bill commented that the amount (1.9L) is quite hefty, and given the age of the vehicle, it is best to send it to independent garages for further maintenance. I tended to agree, but after this disaster (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...s-c-class.html (FNG mixes green & pink coolant in my Mercedes C-Class)), I was sitting on the fence between MB authorised garages and FNGs. In 2023, when it was time to send the car for the annual maintenance, I decided to go with T and T this time to see if they are any more cost effective than the other MB dealership that I had been using. Although they were equally pricey, an incident that happened this time made me a firm believer of sticking to the MB authorised garages.

I was informed by the service advisor that the engine mounts that had been replaced in 2022 were defective. However, MB gives 2 years of warranty on all part replacements, which can be availed at any dealership. I told them to go ahead and replace the part, which they procured from Pune in about one week.

It is really commendable to note that a job worth 37k was done free of cost on a 9 year old car with 40k on the odo! No heated exchanges, frustrating delays or pestering was involved. It was them who pointed out the defect and it was them who fixed it.
Had this job been undertaken at an FNG, I doubt any warranty would have been given. Heck, the quality of workmanship itself could not have been trusted.

It is the bad dealership experiences that get called out, but I feel that such positive experiences should also be highlighted. T and T motors and MB India deserve a pat on the back for the smooth warranty claim on such an old car.

The invoice. 0% customer contribution for a bill that could have been close to 40k:

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-img_3349.jpeg

The C on a warm, sunny day. Still feels tight as a drum. Zero squeaks and rattles:

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-img_3234.jpeg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th July 2023 at 21:01. Reason: edited
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 16:44   #518
BHPian

This is regarding my 2019 C200 (W205)

Ownership thread here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...c200-w205.html (Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205))

The fourth service was done last month

Work done:
Oil change
Oil filter replacement
Sealant ring replacement
Sunroof rails lubrication
Air filter replacement
Cabin filter replacement
Brake fluid change
Wheel rotation
Washing and polishing

Alignment and balancing was quoted at Rs 3700, so it was skipped.

Another job that is supposed to be done at 4 years/ 60,000 km is a transmission oil change. This was quoted at an eye-watering Rs 62,000!
Since the car's running is less, this was deferred to next service with the approval of the service advisor.

After the service, the advisor informed us that the depth of the tyres' tread had reduced (they were in the range of 3.1 - 3.8 mm) so a change was recommended. Apparently, these tyres (Bridegstone Turanza RFTs) last for 20,000 to 25,000 km.
New tyres were quoted at Rs 17,000 a piece. But due to the low running, this too was pushed to the next service on the suggestion of the advisor.

Total bill: Rs 48,512

This was the most expensive service by quite a margin.
Do you think the amount was reasonable?

Now I'm really dreading the next service where, if the above deferred jobs are carried out, the bill will cross Rs 1 lakh!

Now a question for the tyre replacement: Switching to tubeless will be significantly cheaper than going for RFTs. But will this affect the warranty?
Old 24th July 2023, 18:38   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Most people who saw the bill commented that the amount (1.9L) is quite hefty, and given the age of the vehicle, it is best to send it to independent garages for further maintenance. I tended to agree, but after this disaster (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...s-c-class.html (FNG mixes green & pink coolant in my Mercedes C-Class)), I was sitting on the fence between MB authorised garages and FNGs. In 2023, when it was time to send the car for the annual maintenance, I decided to go with T and T this time to see if they are any more cost effective than the other MB dealership that I had been using. Although they were equally pricey, an incident that happened this time made me a firm believer of sticking to the MB authorised garages.
Goes without saying that Authorized Workshop any day preferred over FNG. As long as Authorized Workshop doesn't scam customer, does what's needed and knows how to resolve issues.

Been sending my VW Vento to Authorized Workshop for 12+ years to same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Another job that is supposed to be done at 4 years/ 60,000 km is a transmission oil change. This was quoted at an eye-watering Rs 62,000!
Since the car's running is less, this was deferred to next service with the approval of the service advisor.
Check car manual to see transmission oil interval. If its Dual-Clutch, then its 4 years or 60,000 kms. Fow low running you may do it in 5th year but don't delay it further. Loosing a gearbox will be more expensive than gearbox oil change.

Quote:
After the service, the advisor informed us that the depth of the tyres' tread had reduced (they were in the range of 3.1 - 3.8 mm) so a change was recommended. Apparently, these tyres (Bridegstone Turanza RFTs) last for 20,000 to 25,000 km.
Minimum tyre tread is 1.6 MM legally.

I would suggest you to replace them once they reach this value. TWI Tread Wear Indicator will be there within tyre grooves.

Can also purchase Michelin Tyre Pressure & Tread Guage. Using same.

Also opt for tubeless tyres instead of RFT. Will be much cheaper and offer a more comfortable ride.

Check available options at https://www.tyremarket.com/Car-Tyres

Also get tyre fitted and alignment done at Mercedes Authorized Workshop for proper work.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 10:10   #520
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
This is regarding my 2019 C200 (W205)

Ownership thread here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...c200-w205.html (Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205))

The fourth service was done last month

New tyres were quoted at Rs 17,000 a piece. But due to the low running, this too was pushed to the next service on the suggestion of the advisor.

Total bill: Rs 48,512

This was the most expensive service by quite a margin.
Do you think the amount was reasonable?

Now I'm really dreading the next service where, if the above deferred jobs are carried out, the bill will cross Rs 1 lakh!

Now a question for the tyre replacement: Switching to tubeless will be significantly cheaper than going for RFTs. But will this affect the warranty?
Hi TheGearBox,
I think the amount was reasonable. Mine is C220d 2019 November model and as I was nearing the 15k KM mark after the last service, I got the 4th service done. The transmission oil change alone was more than 60K+ . What I understand is, W205 C-class, the current GLC, older E-class etc need the oil pan also to be replaced while doing transmission oil change, making it expensive. This is not needed for the new W206 C, new E-class etc.
I changed from RFT to tubeless around 34,000KM to have a little bit more silent ride and tubeless should last a bit more. Tubeless tires costs 3-4k less compared to RFT.
sgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 11:10   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I'd also suggest not neglecting the gearbox oil change. You can be sure the advisor will be AWOL if and when anything happens to it.

Which RFTs did they suggest? 17K is too low a price for RFTs in my experience. Tubeless is much cheaper but do check on warranty matters. BMW at least is a little wary of moving to tubeless but most owners do anyway.

Again 3-4 mm is perfectly okay - wait to hit 2 mm before doing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Check car manual to see transmission oil interval. If its Dual-Clutch, then its 4 years or 60,000 kms. Fow low running you may do it in 5th year but don't delay it further. Loosing a gearbox will be more expensive than gearbox oil change.

Minimum tyre tread is 1.6 MM legally.

I would suggest you to replace them once they reach this value. TWI Tread Wear Indicator will be there within tyre grooves.

Also opt for tubeless tyres instead of RFT. Will be much cheaper and offer a more comfortable ride.

Also get tyre fitted and alignment done at Mercedes Authorized Workshop for proper work.
But will MB dealers fit a tyre not bought from them, and that too a non-RFT? BMW does not as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
I changed from RFT to tubeless around 34,000KM to have a little bit more silent ride and tubeless should last a bit more. Tubeless tires costs 3-4k less compared to RFT.
In my experience, tubeless was half the price!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 11:53   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
But will MB dealers fit a tyre not bought from them, and that too a non-RFT? BMW does not as far as I know.
If you have good relations with Workshop people; I do not see any reason why they will say no; including BMW.

Workshop gets to make money on alignment, balancing and weights.

New BMW cars are now coming with Tubeless tyres only.
Old 1st August 2023, 11:48   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
My W204 went in MB service center for Transmission service last Friday. I was in two minds whether to get it done from good FNG or go MB route and then decided to go with MB authorised service station since it is a question of Transmission and for next 50000 kms or so. I discussed with SA that i will be witnessing the entire process and he was happy to allow me to service bay. This was a genuinely satisfactory service experience i had with MB.

FNGs were informing that only 7 ltrs of oil is required while MB quoted for 10 litres. They emptied 11 ltrs in the bucket and filled full 10 ltrs. The Torque converter also needs to be drained which i suspect FNG may not do. They have a professional guage to measure how much has oil has gone in.

The FNGs are flooded with fake parts and oil as well and very hard to identify fakes these days. For such critical parts i would always advice to go with OE. Apparently I take back my words about using FNG, purely from the authenticity of parts.

Next is Brake pads and drilled discs from Brembo. Hope they perform as per reputation.
30K for a transmission service is a very good price. If this is MB Dealer tranny service cost I would not go anywhere else and stick to MB ASS.
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 04:53   #524
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Mate, do what I do with my W221 S350:

Don’t take the car for a service.
Note last mileage reading of oil change and replace only if it appears oil has lost viscosity or if car has covered more than 8.000 kms.
Check oil level after every 1.000 kms.
If car is working fine and if the garage calls and says service is due, tell them to buzz off.
Old 5th August 2023, 00:00   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Fow low running you may do it in 5th year but don't delay it further. Loosing a gearbox will be more expensive than gearbox oil change.
True. I guess that's just the price of Mercedes ownership

Quote:
Absolutely.

Quote:
Check available options at https://www.tyremarket.com/Car-Tyres
Thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Any reason you suggest getting this done at the service center? It would definitely be cheaper if done at a tyre store.

Quote:
Hi TheGearBox,
I think the amount was reasonable. Mine is C220d 2019 November model and as I was nearing the 15k KM mark after the last service, I got the 4th service done.
How many km has your car done and what does your average cost per service come to? Just want to compare with the diesel model.

Quote:
Which RFTs did they suggest? 17K is too low a price for RFTs in my experience.
He didn't specify the brand.

Quote:
Tubeless tires costs 3-4k less compared to RFT.
Quote:
In my experience, tubeless was half the price!
I guess there is a range for prices of RFTs. If you check out the link provided by el lobo above, you'll see that RFTs cost between 19k and 23k, whereas tubeless cost between 9k and 18k. (all prices without discounts) So it depends on which specific tyres you are comparing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks