Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2018, 16:46   #151
BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

I’ve replaced my original battery at the end of 7 years for my W204. The OEM was VARTA. I’m using a Exide 100 AH currently.5 years warranty. Using it for about a year now. Cost me Rs. 16400 in exchange of old battery.
Old 15th December 2018, 21:02   #152
BHPian

Shock Absorbers in my W204 need replacing. Quote given by the local service centre here is Rs 1.53 lacs. 2 Shock absorbers cost Rs 83,000/-, with the Torsion bar, Hydromount and Screw adjustment(?) and link rods costing Rs 45,000/-. Labour is Rs 16,000/-, with the rest being some odds and ends.

Is this not quite high? What other alternatives possible?
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:52   #153
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Shock Absorbers in my W204 need replacing. Quote given by the local service centre here is Rs 1.53 lacs. 2 Shock absorbers cost Rs 83,000/-, with the Torsion bar, Hydromount and Screw adjustment(?) and link rods costing Rs 45,000/-. Labour is Rs 16,000/-, with the rest being some odds and ends.

Is this not quite high? What other alternatives possible?
Hi,

I too am planning to change all 4 shockers in my w 204 (petrol). I also got similar quote from Gurgaon dealer. There are OEM parts available e.g. Sachs for Shockers (all 4 will cost around 35 K max). You can get Hydromounts and link rods from lemforder (OEM replacement). Torsion bar is not available in aftermarket and has to be bought from mercedes.

While I plan to but torsion bar, link rods and hydromount from Mercedes, considering the big price difference in shoch absorbers, I am seriously thinking of trying out Sachs .

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd January 2019 at 13:56. Reason: Minor formatting. Please read the announcements carefully before submitting your post
GRV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:56   #154
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineshpikale View Post
I'm able to source genuine Sachs for ~ 11,000. Extrapolates similarly for other parts. Is there something I'm missing here since I understand from a little bit of googling that Sachs is a acceptable replacement. Or have I got this wrong and I should stick with the ASS parts?
Hello vineshpikale,

Did you buy Sachs? If yes, what is your experience with them? I am also at the same decision point. To buy Sachs or not? By the way what part number of Sachs? I am being told my dealer in Delhi that Part no for front is 313200 and for rear is 317266.
Regards

Last edited by manson : 22nd January 2019 at 14:41. Reason: Typos.
Old 22nd January 2019, 14:00   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Hi ,
I too am planning to change all 4 shockers in my w 204 (petrol).
So the first quote from the Authorised service centre was Rs 1.53 lacs for replacement of only front shocker assembly. The revised quote after i fumed at them was Rs 1.08 lacs ( Some discount on parts and labour).

I got shockers and other related parts from Shetty at Mumbai for Rs 28,800/- (Sachs) and paid the Authorised service centre Rs 4400/- as labour. Since the service had not been done for nearly 1.5 years ( the car is hardly used), Engine oil and brake oil were replaced costing me another Rs 10,000/-

So for Rs 43,500/-, shockers were replaced and service done.

ps: Do check whether link rods need replacement. After checking the MB dealer said they were fine.

Quote:
Did you buy Sachs ? If yes, what is your experience with them ? I am also at the same decision point. To buy Sachs or not ? By the way what part number of Sachs ? I am being told my dealer in Delhi that Part no for front is 313200 and for rear is 317266.
You need to check after giving your VIN. There are sites which tell you the part number based on your VIN. Sachs seems fine. There is a slight noise when i go in potholes, but that is from the link rods. It is only when one goes into pot holes at speed and on roads it is smooth as silk.

Last edited by earthian : 22nd January 2019 at 14:06.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 14:21   #156
BHPian

Hi GRV

Fully satisfied with Sachs. Operates just like OEM. Besides the delta is performance is apparent only if you have an aggressive driving style. Happy to report that I’m fully satisfied and would suggest you go ahead with it.

With regard to part number I would suggest to go by your VIN as Earthian has also suggested. That’s the safest way. Also all parts suppliers will operate based in the VIN. one tip make sure what components are needed -struts, end points, link rods etc. not all may need replacement.
vineshpikale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 14:26   #157
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
So the first quote from the Authorised service centre was Rs 1.53 lacs for replacement of only front shocker assembly.
Hi,
When you say, authorized service station does it mean Mercedes dealer? The MB dealer in Gurgaon says he can not replace a part if it is not purchased from them, hence will not replace sachs bought from outside

Last edited by manson : 22nd January 2019 at 14:31. Reason: Typos.
Old 22nd January 2019, 14:28   #158
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
Hi GRV

Fully satisfied with Sachs. Operates just like OEM. Besides the delta is performance is apparent only if you have an aggressive driving style. Happy to report that I’m fully satisfied and would suggest you go ahead with it.
With regard to part number I would suggest to go by your VIN as Earthian has also suggested. That’s the safest way. Also all parts suppliers will operate based in the VIN. one tip make sure what components are needed -struts, end points, link rods etc. not all may need replacement.[/quote

Hi,
Thanks for confirmation. Yes, I am checking the part number using my VIN. I got name of the authorised lemforder distributor from ZF pune factory and will be buying the part from this distributor
Regards

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd January 2019 at 14:56.
GRV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 14:32   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
When you sau, athorised service station does it mean Mercedes dealer ? The MB dealer in Gurgaon says , he can not replace a part if it is not purchased from them, hence will not replace sachs bought from outside
Yes, the authorised MB dealer. Well my MB dealer did replace parts bought by me and given to them.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 20:34   #160
GRV
BHPian

Hi
I need to get Engine + transmission mounting changed for my W204. MB dealer estimate is around 50k (37 for mountings) , 13 K for labor. If I get it done outside, then it will cost me around 14 K (10 k for lemforder parts, 4 K for labor).

Big cost difference. Need advise if I should for aftermarket solution at 14K ? Though it is a mostly mechanical job, but since it involves engine, hence not sure if I should compromise on quality for sake of money
Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 21:03   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Need advise if I should for aftermarket solution at 14K ?
If the work is done by competent people, YES go ahead.
In Hyderabad i would have guided you to People who cater to German luxury cars.
Am sure in your location you will find such Professional garages.
Your job too is fairly simple in the right hands.
Old 18th March 2019, 21:07   #162

Hello to all my fellow BHPians

I am having a Mercedes Benz C Class C250 CDI (W204) and have recently shifted to Thane/Mumbai. I need some suggestions for getting my Wheel alignment and balancing along with purchasing two tyres for my ride as the rear ones have had uneven wear due to poor alignment, which I failed to notice well in time. It is Ok for me to even travel to Mumbai, if there is a reliable service station available.

Also, I need suggestions about any good aftermarket spares dealer in and around Mumbai. I have to buy front DRLs(lamp is faulty on one of them) and LED for one of my ORVMs.
Old 20th March 2019, 18:13   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_1732 View Post
Hello to all my fellow BHPians

I am having a Mercedes Benz C Class C250 CDI (W204) and have recently shifted to Thane/Mumbai. I need some suggestions for getting my Wheel alignment and balancing along with purchasing two tyres for my ride as the rear ones have had uneven wear due to poor alignment, which I failed to notice well in time. It is Ok for me to even travel to Mumbai, if there is a reliable service station available.

Also, I need suggestions about any good aftermarket spares dealer in and around Mumbai. I have to buy front DRLs(lamp is faulty on one of them) and LED for one of my ORVMs.
For Tyres there is Mahesh at GB Road at Manpada, just at the start of the bridge on your left when going towards Borivali. Next to Dosti Imperia complex.

There is also Premji Tyre (and for balancing as well) near 3M Manpada - Google will help you.

Additionally, there is Sanket Garage near Kherwa Circle.

These guys are good but Mahesh is expensive among these. All are from Thane.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 20:31   #164

Quote:
I’ve replaced my original battery at the end of 7 years for my W204. The OEM was VARTA. I’m using a Exide 100 AH currently.5 years warranty. Using it for about a year now. Cost me Rs. 16400 in exchange of old battery.
I am also looking at a similar option because the OEM one is costing a lot of money which I don't think is worth investing in a 7+ year old car of mine. Can you please comment on the performance of the battery you are presently using. Also, if possible share the exact model and specifications as well.

I am also facing this typical issue where once I give the self, the engine at once cranks up before tripping off(switching off) on its own almost immediately. I called my mechanic today, as the car was recently serviced, and they told me that its an issue with the battery. Also, I noticed that when I was starting my car using an external jump start battery, it's starting normally without any problem. If anyone can comment upon the observation made by my mechanic regarding the battery replacement it would be great. I am sure someone here must have faced a similar issue, so I request them to please share their experience and propose a solution.
Old 26th March 2019, 09:42   #165
BHPian

Folks,

I just picked up a C220d last week. A few queries for this team. Appreciate your responses. Thanks in advance.

1. Has anyone fixed a dashcam on the car? If yes, where is the fuse box for hard wiring?
2. How do you switch off the radio on the entertainment panel (other than going to any other option like media). The show-room guys had no answer to this query
3. Which is the correct way to switch on AC? There is a climate control switch with fan-speeds on the left and A/C switch on the right. Owners' guide is not too clear
4. Do you keep the Lights on Auto mode all the time?
5. Do you need the cable connection necessarily for Android Auto to function or does it also work on bluetooth?
6. Tyre pressures are shown in KpA - Can that be changed to psi? If so, how?

Thanks a bunch all of you.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 26th March 2019 at 09:54.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed