Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 22:44   #196
BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Mercedes-Benz opens showroom in AP's largest city, sells 50 cars on day of opening day! Vizag

PS: Mods, please delete if this isn't the right thread for this news.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le30619342.ece
Attached Thumbnails
Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-2.jpg  

Last edited by MercFan : 4th February 2020 at 22:45.
MercFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 10:30   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Need inputs from MB owners, a known is picking E-class. His annual running won't be more than 3000-4000 km.

MB has below plans and dealership has suggested going for the basic plan. What are the normal service costs, say for 1st,2nd &3rd service?
The rough rule of thumb for service packages is that they are worth it if the car is going to go for 2 annual services due to mileage. This advise was given to me by a senior Merc service manager.

My CLA does about 7-8000 k annually & has a service interval of 10000 k. Hence I did not opt for the package at the time of buying. Your friend's running is even lower. Hence its better to spend the money on buying the max available warranty period.

Last edited by car_addict : 5th February 2020 at 10:48.
car_addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 10:55   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_addict View Post
The rough rule of thumb for service packages is that they are worth it if the car is going to go for 2 annual services due to mileage. This advise was given to me a senior Merc service manager.
We actually went ahead and bought the basic pack for 3 Years considering at least 3 annual services, second one being a major one (irrespective of mileage). As per the service advisor with T&T, packages will work out 10-15 % cheaper at today’s cost even if running is less.

Mercedes offer standard 3 Years warranty, don’t know if its a new thing or from past. If I am not mistaken, its 2 Years from BMW.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 12:16   #199
BHPian

Quote:
We actually went ahead and bought the basic pack for 3 Years considering at least 3 annual services, second one being a major one (irrespective of mileage). As per the service advisor with T&T, packages will work out 10-15 % cheaper at today’s cost even if running is less.

Mercedes offer standard 3 Years warranty, don’t know if its a new thing or from past. If I am not mistaken, its 2 Years from BMW.
3 years is the standard for Mercedes. When i got my W204 C class in February 2014, i extended it by a year for about INR 25,000. Even though i had never taken a service package, the cost of basic service for the C was always around INR 28-30,000. In the third year, the dealer (Silver Arrows, Noida) offered a two service pack that included the gearbox oil change for INR 80,000. That gearbox oil change service irrespective of usage (i at 32,000 km now) was billed at approximately INR 66,000.

Please just ensure that you can have that included else it is going to one expensive service considering the cost of service of the E class is anyways higher than the C.

Edit: Since my car is out of warranty and the service experience was absolutely horrendous last time, i am shifting to an independent garage now.

Last edited by RohanDheman : 5th February 2020 at 12:19.
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 01:31   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you reckon you'll need a brake redo in the first 3 years? That's the major difference between the two packs, from what I can see.
Old 6th February 2020, 17:13   #201
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Do you reckon you'll need a brake redo in the first 3 years? That's the major difference between the two packs, from what I can see.

Yes, with the Mercedes it is definitely possible. Mercedes spares are slightly steeper in pricing too. IMO most Mercs require brake changes more frequently OR it could just be the workshop forcing a change but I doubt people just let them do what they want.
I usually drive my cars 20-25k kms annually and have always opted for a service pack. In future, after end of service plan you can sometimes push for goodwill part swaps or services where needed and they are more willing if you have opted for their service packs. (just my own observation)
VSD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 18:05   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Need inputs from MB owners, a known is picking E-class. His annual running won't be more than 3000-4000 km.

MB has below plans and dealership has suggested going for the basic plan. What are the normal service costs, say for 1st,2nd &3rd service?
For 3-4k running a year, I doubt he will need that. When I was buying the C Class last year I was asked the same question and when I said my running will not be more than 5k per annum they strongly discouraged me from buying.

I trust their advice as their management is known to me and I am sure they were being honest about it. Otherwise the sales guys could have happily sold me a 3 year package and I would have bought if they had so suggested.
Old 17th February 2020, 12:15   #203
BHPian

We are looking to buy a used GLC Diesel with about 15000 km. I need some clarity about maintenance of the car. Our car will run about 15000 km annually and mostly urban driving.

Extended warranty: I would like to get MB extended warranty but the price from MB Online Advance Assurance is extremely steep, almost 2.5 lacs for 4+5 th years.

Service: MB offers Star and Star + service packages. Are the rates fixed or negotiable for these?

Does other options exist besides ASS to maintain Mercedes?
Old 17th February 2020, 13:41   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
We are looking to buy a used GLC Diesel with about 15000 km. I need some clarity about maintenance of the car. Our car will run about 15000 km annually and mostly urban driving.

Extended warranty: I would like to get MB extended warranty but the price from MB Online Advance Assurance is extremely steep, almost 2.5 lacs for 4+5 th years.

Service: MB offers Star and Star + service packages. Are the rates fixed or negotiable for these?

The extended warranty is steep. You could try a third party: edelassurance.com , I have not personally tried them out but their rates should be much more competitive and negotiable.

The service packages from MBIL directly are not really negotiable at the dealership level. However, some dealers offer packages that are exclusive to their workshops. MBIL packages can be used at any workshop.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 00:02   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post

We recently got a GLC 220D progressive. I evaluated buying the extended warranty and service pack. Both were coming out to be in the vicinity of about 6-10 lacs.

For a 0-3 month old GLC, the extended warranty packages are as follows
4 - 1.32 lacs
4&5 - 2.59 lacs
4,5&6 - 3.96 lacs

if the car's age is 3 to 12 months, it is as below
4 - 1.80 lacs
4&5 - 3.54 lacs
4,5&6 - 5.49 lacs

These prices go further up in case you buy it later. The rates are not negotiable.

4 year service pack is 2.25 lacs.
Estimates I got are: 55k for 1st year (or service), 80k for 2nd year (including diesel filter), 55k for 3rd year, 1.5 lac for 4th year.
A set of brake pads and discs are about 60k extra. All this adds up to just around 4 lacs.

I have decided against buying any of the above for now. Maybe at a later date, I might consider buying the service pack.

Our usage is almost exclusively on highways and maybe in the range of 10-12k km per year is what I am expecting so it's OK for me to wait and watch. In worst case, I think I can service the car at home and take it to the service center for any software updates if its possible.
nitrogary is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 15:40   #206
BHPian

Thank you @Nitrogary for the detailed info.

Wow, that's staggering. Almost 1 lac a year to maintain it and another lac as warranty! As you said, about 6-10 lac for 4 years.. Gosh that's around 25% of the price of a used GLC.

Hmmm i have to rethink the math and logic.
Old 29th February 2020, 00:12   #207
BHPian

Our W212 E250 CDI is back from routine service. The car has covered just over 46000 km in nearly 4 years.

This was also the first year from since we bought it that we did not have to visit the workshop in between for any unexpected snags (ie., the previous time it went for service was for last year's routine service).

The bill came to around Rs. 28,000/-.

This is the lowest bill yet, and it was covered under the service package which has expired now. For us at least, I would say the package was worth it, but barely.

Our running has also decreased drastically. These days it does 20 km a day on weekdays. Not much highway drives. I would say the car is driven within the city (in rush-hour stop-and-go traffic) over 90% of the time. Driven by my dad mostly.

The service advisor sent us a list of things that he recommends we do, along with the price estimate.

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-bill1.png

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-bill2.png

That's 2.71 Lakhs.

Some remarks:
  • Wiper blades are billed at Rs. 7400 , hence I highly suspect they're overcharging us for the rest of the items. I don't see why the wipers should be changed; the wiping action is very satisfactory, and there are no lines or smudges or anything when we use them. It wipes clean and clear.
  • Rear tyres are worn out; we'll get them replaced soon from an outside tyre shop we regularly go to. The front tyres were replaced not too long ago (both of them got punctured at 2 separate events).
  • We'll also be getting our brake pads replaced. I'm aware cars with automatic transmission gets their brake pads worn out quicker, and I'm surprised it even lasted this long.
  • There's no warning or anything in the console regarding the brake pad wear in our car. But then the estimate mentions "lining abrasion sensor" which I believe has something to do with detecting brake pad wear.
  • Not sure what's wrong with the suspension components. As far as we can tell, the ride quality is very comfortable, and so is handling (but then again we're sedate drivers). We'll probably skip this for now.
  • Not sure what's wrong with "encapsulation"; I looked up the product code online, and from what I understood it is some sort of a cover in the engine compartment. I had popped open the hood (before service) and nothing seemed amiss inside. We'll probably skip that.
  • The engine start-stop system hasn't been working for over a year now. While we always found it annoying, I think it is an indication that the battery could be weak. We'll probably get the battery changed soon.
The car is outside all warranty periods and things like that.

We'll probably get the jobs (except tyres) done at ASC as we're not really keen on going the aftermarket route particularly for safety-critical components like brakes.

Last edited by voldemort : 29th February 2020 at 00:27.
voldemort is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 11:33   #208
BHPian

@voldemort : Thanks for the detailed information reg. your service.

Any reason why the warranty service bill was so low yet the list of things to replace "after warranty" is huge?
Old 29th February 2020, 12:53   #209
BHPian

In this way, I find BMW( Atleast in Gurgaon) to be very prompt and generous, they always give such a list BEFORE your extended warranty is expiring or your service package is expiring, and try to fit it in that bill rather than putting the bill on us.
I have had work worth 3L done on the last day of my standard warranty for free, and have picked up extended warranty ever since.
aman-bh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 10:14   #210
BHPian

Guys need urgent help. The insurance of my C220 Style, April 2015 is expiring today. I had availed full depreciation insurance for the first five years. However, I have been told that to continue zero dep post 5 years there is a significant increase in premium. I have other add ons too like consumables, engine protect, NCB protector, key lock replacement and RSA. Now if I keep all other add ons and deduct Zero Dep the premium comes to Rs. 50,000 and in case I also include Zero Dep then the premium jumps to Rs. 87,000.

Wanted to know your suggestions, if it makes sense to shell out an additional 35k for zero dep? A quick reply would be appreciated as the expiry happens tonight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks