Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2020, 23:29   #241
BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You can always carry a good set of jumper cables in the car if you decide to wait till the battery actually gives up:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...y-charger.html (Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger)
Can you share some link from where I can buy cables? I will wait till the battery actually gives up Not in a mood to spend 40k when I have a Rs. 1.2 lakh gear oil service on my head. Also considering buying Bosch charger.
Old 19th August 2020, 00:20   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
What is the usual time period after which fuel filter is changed? Engine air filter was changed at 23k and now the odo is at 33k. So will get it changed.
For comparison my 320D demanded a fuel filter change during this service after 5 years and 33k kms for the first time, since its a condition based service and the key tells what all is required, i approved the change.
If your fuel filter has not been changed so far, maybe it could have been clogged. I am not able to fathom that fact that the fuel filter for C class costs 18k+, the same thing for 3 series costs 3400+ tax.

If your car is under warranty and mercedes recommends a fuel filter change, i would suggest to go ahead as they can show a consequential damage later and deny the claim.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 08:48   #243
BHPian

So, finally going for service on Monday. Was driving the car around today morning and suddenly brake pad wear signal turned on. Last time pads were changed at 20k reading which is now at 34k. Just a quick query, is it advisable to drive the car post the signal warning ( need to go for a 300 km to and fro ride). Or should I take other car and take this directly to the service center on Monday.
Old 20th August 2020, 09:10   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, finally going for service on Monday. Was driving the car around today morning and suddenly brake pad wear signal turned on. Last time pads were changed at 20k reading which is now at 34k. Just a quick query, is it advisable to drive the car post the signal warning ( need to go for a 300 km to and fro ride). Or should I take other car and take this directly to the service center on Monday.
Looks like you are on a roll

I suggest not to take it on highway trips. When the brake pads are worn down to the bare metal, it splatters hard metal filings into the paint under heavy braking. Car still stops but your paint can get messed up.

PS: 14K km is little too soon to replace brake pads, would expect 20K km unless you are a 'very' spirited driver.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 09:57   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
PS: 14K km is little too soon to replace brake pads, would expect 20K km unless you are a 'very' spirited driver.
I have constantly raise this issue with Mercedes but they just have the weapon of driving conditions with them. Here is my brake pad wear timeline:

1st rear pads @ 8000 km - I am fine with this one because of the speed at which I drove for the initial few months post buying the new car.

2nd rear pads @ 20000 km - Was surprised as I didn't increase the speed beyond 100 kmph but was told that driving conditions are different for different drivers

1st front brake pads @ 25000 km - Nothing to say, they say its normal

3rd rear pads @ 34000 km - This is the best that my brakes have done. I maintain speedtronic at 100kmph nothing more but still this happened.

What should I do? How to deal with this.
Old 20th August 2020, 10:03   #246

I can totally relate to this. I have a 2018 E220 and I had a C220 before that. Personally I include insurance and maintenance. I tend to keep the cars till 100,000kms and normally just exchange the cars for a new one. Well Mercedes is notorious for the high maintenance costs, insurance including every single Add-on should cost about 80-90k per year, you gotta include the tyres, windshield, key cover everything there. Otherwise each tyre is 30-40k if you mess up the the tyre in a nail or a rock on the roads. And the key itself is 1.5-2 lakh. God forbid a rock or stone fall off a truck and hit your windshield, gotta get that add on in the insurance. Maintenance is comparatively more pricier than my Volvo, it comes upto about 50k all inclusive, the oil change, the filters and check up on all the electricals and the sensors. I suggest go for that extended warranty for a worry free ownership. That’s about 2-3 lakhs depending on the model. On the contrary my XC60’s maintainence is just about 1lakh per year. E220 and C220 has a maintenance difference of 15-20k. But there are a lot of other options to a Mercedes ownership in India, the agility scheme where you own the car for 3 years, have 10-15k kms limit in using them, and you pay about 70-85k per month, the service, insurance and everything else is covered in the agility scheme. Your paying about 30 lakhs all in all for the prestigious ownership for 3 years, then you can give up the car or replace the car and continue paying the monthly payment and still have another Mercedes or pay on for the existing car you own. I feel buying a Mercedes isn’t a big deal, keeping it is the big deal.
tapasvi.l is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 11:33   #247
BHPian

I also had to mention about one incident that happened on 17th August. Was coming back to Ludhiana from Jaipur when suddenly the rear tyre burst. I was 50 km off Gurgaon. I called the on road assistance and got my car towed. Since I don't have extended warranty so had to pay Rs. 8,000 as towing charges.

Got the tyres changed from T&T Motors. Two Continental tyres cost me Rs. 27,500. I had got other two tyres changes at 25000 km. Probably I didnt pay heed to alignment.

BTW whats the average life of these tyres? I was told by my alignment guy that the car is really heavy due to which tyre wear is too much and it will remain like this only. I have started getting alignment and balancing done every 5k kms.

So yes, I am on a roll and its costing me a bomb. Service is scheduled for tomorrow and I already have brake pad wear warning issued by the car.
Old 21st August 2020, 12:30   #248
BHPian

Guys a quick query. I am at the dealership. The SA is asking me for alignment and balancing. The cost for both is 13k. I told him that one can get alignment done for Rs. 1000. He told me that Mercedes do all wheel alignment which is recommended for these cars whereas in outside garage only front wheel alignment is done. Can someone clarify. Here is the clear bifurcation:

Alignment - Rs. 7,000
Wheel Balancing - Rs. 2500
Weights - Rs. 2000 (Approx.)

Should I get it done from here or should try out somewhere else?
Old 21st August 2020, 12:32   #249
BHPian

Not true. Get it done from outside. MRF T&S can do it and others too.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 12:52   #250
BHPian

Finally got my service done yesterday. Attaching the bill here. They didn't change AC filters and one more filter with a combined cost of Rs. 23,000. Gear Oil change costing Rs. 42,000 has been shifted to next service considering less driving. Rear brakes were changed after doing 15,000 km, the highest so far.

Battery cost is Rs. 25,000. The SA advised to switch the ignition of everyday and take car car to the center by jump starting the day it doesn't start. Alignment and balancing needs to be done from outside. They were asking for 12k for the same.

I dont have extended warranty but I am considering road side assistance. It will cost Rs. 11,000 for two years and they will provide cab facility and hotel accomodation in case I get stuck away from home. Any reviews?
Attached Thumbnails
Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-service-cost.jpg  

rickygupta2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 16:07   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Battery cost is Rs. 25,000. The SA advised to switch the ignition of everyday and take car car to the center by jump starting the day it doesn't start. Alignment and balancing needs to be done from outside. They were asking for 12k for the same.
It appears reasonable, especially if they will code it. You can do balancing from outside from someone who has hunter machines, usually MRF centres will have but for alignment, stick with the dealership. But get it done only if your call pulls or has uneven wear.
Old 22nd August 2020, 16:17   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
but for alignment, stick with the dealership. But get it done only if your call pulls or has uneven wear.
Any specific reason for this suggestion? And yes the front tyres are wearing out. Was thinking of getting alignment done on Monday from outside.
Old 22nd August 2020, 16:47   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I dont have extended warranty but I am considering road side assistance. It will cost Rs. 11,000 for two years and they will provide cab facility and hotel accomodation in case I get stuck away from home. Any reviews?
You can use 3rd party RSA. In fact, most car companies use the same provider I think.

https://www.allianzroadassist.com/

No need to buy any prepaid package, just call them when you actually need RSA and pay the reasonable charges. I was happy when I used their service few months back.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 20:22   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any specific reason for this suggestion? And yes the front tyres are wearing out. Was thinking of getting alignment done on Monday from outside.
Mostly, manufacturers keep this info to themselves and on such premium cars, sometimes, based on the suspension, parameters may be different. When you ask MB or BMW to carry out alignment, there are Two charges, One for checking and another to correct. If the difference is not much or values are in limits, you need to pay only for the inspection. They do on the machine. Usually, dealerships won't tell you, but it's an option. If you plan to get it done outside, check if they have the latest data specific to your model.

Maybe someone like Nikhil can shed more info, but I have got none of my cars aligned from outside. Regarding balancing, I have found Hunter machines with the road force balancing, the best. Am not aware if anyone in Ludhiana or Chandigarh does have one.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 11:56   #255
BHPian

Hello all!

Hope you all are keeping well. I just visited a fuel station 5 minutes away from my home, and my 2013 W204 petrol was at quarter tank, so I asked the guy to fill 5 litres of ‘Power’, but he accidentally filled normal petrol. Although I didn’t feel anything abnormal on the drive back, I am really worried.
Would really appreciate if someone could tell me that is it an issue if I mix power with normal petrol? Will it cause any damage to the engine?
Please note that I have NEVER filled it up with normal fuel, and have ALWAYS only used Power.

Thanks
Sanidhya

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks