Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2022, 19:50   #1

What to do with my pristine Audi A6 which is 10-years old in Delhi-NCR?

I have an Audi A6 2.7 tdi 2010 model done only 40800 kms with 3 new tyres.

The car is scratch less and in a beautiful condition. I don’t understand the policy of the government which declares my car as non road worthy. The vehicles that are actually polluting are still plying and other polluting sources are not banned but cars are an easy target.

The cars RC is valid and is active but the RTO doesn’t issue an NOC for the car to be transferred to a state where this law doesn’t exist. This is unethical pressure on people to waste their hard earned money. These law makers use cars etc from our tax money so they don’t care about anything.

What can I do that this beautiful car doesn’t go waste? Please advise.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th July 2022 at 09:47. Reason: Clarifying sentence about NOC :)
varunsahgal is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 20:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: What to do with my pristine Audi A6 which is 10-years old in Delhi-NCR?

There is nothing you can do. Your car is already 10+ years old. You can’t really sell it now, you won’t get the NOC. Best case scenario is that you keep using the car locally or for outstation trips without entering Delhi or Gurgaon, till the time your RC runs out. After that, you’ll have to scrap it.

There is no alternative. I had my Scorpio scrapped for the same reasons.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 20:26   #3
BHPian

That is the law of the land, however insufferable it may be. So deal with it.
I would not even advise you to use it for local runs.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 20:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

In this case, is the insurance valid? Will the insurer entertain any claims? If not, then could be big big trouble in case of a third party claim.
Eddy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 20:40   #5
BHPian

The best thing you can do is consult a car dealer and sell it for its parts. This is better than scrapping it. German cars have expensive spare parts so perhaps they can buy spares for cheap as long as it’s a popular model. Seems environment friendly idea as well, at least better than scrapping.

I would not recommend selling it in local village etc because the car likely won’t get insurance. In such a case, god forbid an accident happens then you will be held accountable as the owner of the car. In addition, you will entirely have to bear the damages. Also, the RC can’t be transferred as it is not valid anymore so the car will always be under your name as it’s your liability regardless who drives it.
PS, don’t even take it out on the road. Even if someone deliberately hits your car or jumps in front of it (people who would know that vehicle is not road legal anymore might deliberately do it, it’s easy money), you could be facing difficult situations and people CAN twist your arm for money. It’s easy to find out about a vehicle and it’s validity as well using its registration number.

It feels sorry for the car, owner as well as environment but there’s not much that can be done now.
There are some odd ways you can conserve the chassis by retrofitting an EV kit (makes it legal I think) but I have no idea how feasible, possible and sensible that would be in a Car like Audi.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 24th July 2022 at 20:47.
rishi.roger is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 21:15   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsahgal View Post

What can I do that this beautiful car doesn’t go waste? Please advise.
Sir,
Sadly there is no such possible way for you to keep using that car. I too was in the same boat a year back where my car had crossed 10 years and I was driving it locally when I was stopped by the police. Once they checked the papers and realised it was 10+ years old, they were ready with their impounding kit. Settled it over money and brought my car home only to sell it to a relative outside Delhi-NCR the very next day. (got quite a hefty sum for a car so old)
I know it can be very hard to let go of a car you've spent 10 years with due to a stupid policy but it's better to be safe than sorry. I would not advise you to drive it locally also and rather sell it to someone who resides outside Delhi-NCR and whom you trust to take very good care of the car.

All the best,
Thanks.
Roadster101 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 21:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster101 View Post
Sir,
Sadly there is no such possible way for you to keep using that car. I too was in the same boat a year back where my car had crossed 10 years and I was driving it locally when I was stopped by the police. Once they checked the papers and realised it was 10+ years old, they were ready with their impounding kit. Settled it over money and brought my car home only to sell it to a relative outside Delhi-NCR the very next day. (got quite a hefty sum for a car so old)
I know it can be very hard to let go of a car you've spent 10 years with due to a stupid policy but it's better to be safe than sorry. I would not advise you to drive it locally also and rather sell it to someone who resides outside Delhi-NCR and whom you trust to take very good care of the car.

All the best,
Thanks.
DO NOT SELL YOUR EXPIRED CAR TO ANYONE UNLESS THERE’s SOME WAY YOU CAN TRANSFER THE RC.
The liability will screw your life if something wrong happens with that car. Accidents can happen by trusted people also.
Consider it like a gun registered in your name and you’re handing it over to somebody hoping they will not misuse or cause a mishap with it.
rishi.roger is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 21:41   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
DO NOT SELL YOUR EXPIRED CAR TO ANYONE UNLESS THERE’s SOME WAY YOU CAN TRANSFER THE RC.
Dear Sir,

Your concern is very valid but the car isn't under my name anymore. I transferred the RC to the name of my friend and the car is registered on a Punjab number under my friend's name.

Thanks.
Old 24th July 2022, 21:45   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
I have an Audi A6 2.7 tdi 2010 model done only 40800 kms with 3 new tyres. This is unethical pressure on people to waste their hard earned money. What can I do that this beautiful car doesn’t go waste? Please advise.
Most of us here can truly empathise and feel the anguish just like you must be feeling.

But because you live in the Delhi/ NCR region, there is absolutely nothing that you can do except sell the car to someone outside that region.

Everyone here agrees that this Green Tribunal rule is a stupid one. But we, as salaried people and car owners, are the easiest targets for draconian, ill-advised, unfair tribunals.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th July 2022 at 19:55. Reason: Word deleted. Let's keep political discussions away.
shankar.balan is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 21:51   #10

Thank you all for the inputs.

This is seriously ridiculous. It does no good to the environment at all as it should be car specific. A road worthy test can be done every year. Most of us maintain our cars nicely. We are expected to buy a new car every 10 / 15 years.

Anyways. Thank you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
In this case, is the insurance valid? Will the insurer entertain any claims?
Insurance is valid till august. I plan not to renew it if I can’t use it or sell it.

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th July 2022 at 22:24. Reason: back to back posts merged. Trimmed quoted posts.
varunsahgal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 22:02   #11

Strange how such a law was passed. The purpose of the RTO is to do inspection of the vehicle condition during renewal and if not fit then to take the vehicle of the road. Instead, they pass a law which does not even make any sense.
SandyN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 22:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster101 View Post
Dear Sir,

Your concern is very valid but the car isn't under my name anymore. I transferred the RC to the name of my friend and the car is registered on a Punjab number under my friend's name.

Thanks.
Glad to hear you got the RC transferred. People tend to forget or take it lightly at times and it may develop a big risk.
Just for my curiosity, were you able to transferr the RC while the car was Valid or was that past the legal mileage of 10 years ? I have read that you need a NOC to initiate the transfer to different state, and that NOC can not be obtained once the car crosses 10 years, maybe I am wrong or it varies from state to state. Please clarify as it might help others .
rishi.roger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 22:45   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Insurance is valid till august. I plan not to renew it if I can’t use it or sell it
You should get insurance renewed maybe third party. Also, consider using the car at some other place either yourself or can give to a relative or friend or even for a cause.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 22:46   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Just for my curiosity, were you able to transferr the RC while the car was Valid or was that past the legal mileage of 10 years ?
Earlier we had planned to keep the car in our hometown in Chandigarh and register it under my grandfather's name. Due to some change in plans, we had to cancel the NOC and issue another one as we decided to sell it.
During this process, we came across no troubles as the car was deemed road fit and the overall process of cancelling a NOC and issuing another one was pretty smooth. The current owner is munching up miles in the car and I have no links with the car anymore.
The point you have raised that some people sell their car to a known without transferring the RC is very important. A note to all: Once you sell your car, please make sure it is registered under the name of its new owner immediately as any mishap would be blamed directly on you.

Stay safe and Thanks.
Roadster101 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 01:25   #15
BHPian

Re: What to do with my pristine Audi A6 which is 10-years old in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Thank you all for the inputs.

This is seriously ridiculous. It does no good to the environment at all as it should be car specific. A road worthy test can be done every year. Most of us maintain our cars nicely. We are expected to buy a new car every 10 / 15 years.

Anyways. Thank you all.

Insurance is valid till august. I plan not to renew it if I can’t use it or sell it.
I am in the same boat as yours. I have an Oct, 2011 Vento and I have given it my absolute best in keeping it well. It feels so wrong to be forced to buy a new car, when your old car works perfectly fine. That too in this time of inflation when car prices have gone to the next level.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks