Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2007, 17:59   #31
BHPian

can i be the first one to say ... HIDEOUS !!!???!?
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:09   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalaap View Post
can i be the first one to say ... HIDEOUS !!!???!?
You certainly may, aalaap. But this car is not targetted toward buyers like you and me. It is for first-time car buyers, though I am pretty certain that it wont be restricted to that segment only. Rural / semi-urban markets, commercial users, taxi owners, people looking for a cheap second car, rental companies etc. would all line up.

For the price, I am very impressed. I mean, what do you get for a lac? An auto-rickshaw? This is a full-bodied car which can seat 4 people!
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But this car is not For the price, I am very impressed. I mean, what do you get for a lac? An auto-rickshaw? This is a full-bodied car which can seat 4 people!
and with 26kmpl from petrol engine, what about diesel then??
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:20   #34
BHPian

Thanks for the pic Steer! How did you manage to keep such a sensational pic under wraps for so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
hopefully will replace more call centre/office cabs than personal cars. They could do with a downsizing.
@zenx, i do hope this becomes a reality... at least it will bring those speed demons crashing down to 80 kph (rumored to be the top speed of the 1 Lakh car)...

It may not be the best looker, but its certainly good to go for ~ 1 lakh... Maybe somewhere down the line, this would replace all the autorickshaws that we have... Think of it, a new autorickshaw costs more than a lakh, seats 3 uncomfortably and is unstable at speeds over 50 and has not-so-good ride quality... Tata shouldn't find it difficult to get the autowallahs sold on the idea.
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:28   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Good scoop steer. I don't like the car so much (cosmetically) and I'm pretty sure I won't fit in it.

But I sincerely hope for one thing. That this One Lac car, is sold for One lac. You know what I mean? Make the hype of a 1 lac car. Like Air deccan's 100 rupee airline ticket (+1200 rupees tax)

So one lac for the car, extra for the wipers, extra for foam on the seat, extra for a horn, , accha rear view mirror also, oh you want both headlights.. etc etc.

Add taxes to this and it's for 2 lacs.

All I'm saying is I just hope the car lives up to it's hype and sells to people for around 1 lac. (Chal, OK, 1.25 with registration, insurance etc)

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 23rd June 2007 at 18:33.
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

Shot with W700i. at 1969-12-31
sourse-overdrive
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:42   #37
Team-BHP Support

I think they planned for Rs.99,990 for the ex-showroom tag. Again this would be for the base model which would have no ac also.
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:44   #38
BHPian

Well, a number of cars that were initially passed off as hideous went on to become big successes, even despite not-so-attractive pricing...

e.g.
Santro - this was perceived to look like an auto
Swift - toad like, fat-bottomed
WagonR - boxy

But then, once the initial reactions died down and the positives of these cars started coming out and once folks saw them in action on the roads, they saw what the value in the cars and started lapping them up.

And like GTO said, this car is for a different set of buyers - in fact, this car is intended to create a whole new segment of buyers...

IMHO, it looks like a proper car (and not like a set of wheels with a fibreglass cage on top) and if it does come with an engine capable of 80kph and 26kpl, India may well lead the global car-sales charts in under a decade!
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Good scoop steer. I don't like the car so much (cosmetically) and I'm pretty sure I won't fit in it.

But I sincerely hope for one thing. That this One Lac car, is sold for One lac. You know what I mean? Make the hype of a 1 lac car. Like Air deccan's 100 rupee airline ticket (+1200 rupees tax)

So one lac for the car, extra for the wipers, extra for foam on the seat, extra for a horn, , accha rear view mirror also, oh you want both headlights.. etc etc.

Add taxes to this and it's for 2 lacs.

All I'm saying is I just hope the car lives up to it's hype and sells to people for around 1 lac. (Chal, OK, 1.25 with registration, insurance etc)
Same concern here too.
And i DO think its just hype. I remember Ratan Tata saying that it would be atleast 1.25 ex-showroom sometime back. Even that is not guaranteed, notice the word "atleast". My guess is about 1.75 lac for the A/C version, which will bring onroad close to about 2.1~2.2 lacs.
Whatsay guys?
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:00   #40
BHPian

Hey isnt the pic posted by tushky have the headlights different as compared to the first pic ? I did not like the first one at all but the second one is still acceptable !!
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

It definately looks better that the reva.

Godfather
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
It definately looks better that the reva.

Godfather

And costs 1/3 too.
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
, Sam. I too hope it wont be like that. If it does, there may be buyers who will still buy it & add the foams etc after market & there is a business opportunity there.

Quote:
I don't like the car so much (cosmetically) and I'm pretty sure I won't fit in it.
You could convert it to a 2 seater.
Old 23rd June 2007, 20:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

good work steroid, any idea about the launch date
Old 23rd June 2007, 20:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You could convert it to a 2 seater.
He still wont fit in.. Maybe if you convert it to a 2 seater and chop the roof off then there is a slight possibility sam would consider getting into it..
Not through the door though.

Godfather

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks