Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 23:36   #91
BHPian

Re: Scoop! MG Hector facelift launch plans; feature updates & price

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainboy1213 View Post
WOW! That is some crazy trend-spotting. MG should give you an accelerated delivery in recognition for your fandom
The search for worthy car for next upgrade began in January 2021. Kushaq, Astor and then Compass and XUV700, after evaluating all we ended up liking HECTOR the most. Now the wait for facelift has made me read too much about this company's roots, global activites, progress in India, etc. over last 8-9 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkunz View Post
Has any version of the hector been safety rated? By any countries NCAP?
Its Chinese variant Baojun 530 got 5 star rating in China NCAP. Otherwise, same platform car, MG HS, got 5 star in Euro NCAP in 2019. MG has a good track record of providing strong built heavy Kerb weight cars. It is quite evident when you look at Hector or Astor. Hope they get this new one tested soon to remove any doubts!

Last edited by manpreetsj : 8th September 2022 at 23:41.
manpreetsj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 01:01   #92
BHPian

Quote:
This was just posted today by the official MG FB handle.
Man this news is such a bummer for me. For some reason i was hoping they would do it. But hearing it from their mouth, i guess i will have to wait for XUV700. I was excited because i want ADAS to be part of the package in 7 seater configuration with automatic. Currently except for XUV700, no car offers ADAS in 7 seater configuration.
And Diesel is must for me as Fuel economy is inportant no matter my yearly running. Because once you add Turbo, no matter if its petrol or Diesel the pricing remains similar, considering both petrol and Diesel are of same engine capacity class.
Old 9th September 2022, 11:48   #93
BHPian

Is the petrol engine of Hector better than the petrol engine in the new Tucson? Tucson engine has slightly more bhp (154 at 6200rpm vs 141 at 5000rpm) but the max torque is only 192Nm that too at 4500rpm. Compared to the turbo petrol in Hector that has 250Nm at only 1600-3600rpm.

I was looking at the new petrol Tucson and comparing it with this new facelift Hector and struggling to find reasons to get the Tucson over the facelift Hector. (Around 8-10L price difference on road can be expected with top end Tucson and new ADAS top end Hector).

Last edited by koolkunz : 9th September 2022 at 11:51.
Old 9th September 2022, 12:08   #94
BHPian

Quote:
This was just posted today by the official MG FB handle.
Difficult to understand why MG can't introduce the automatic with the Diesel. They didnt do it at launch and neither are they doing it with their mid-life facelifts. It would've provided a significant bump in sales. Its a bummer - for an otherwise fairly well-rounded and hopefully, well-priced package.
Old 9th September 2022, 12:11   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkunz View Post
Is the petrol engine of Hector better than the petrol engine in the new Tucson? Tucson engine has slightly more bhp (154 at 6200rpm vs 141 at 5000rpm) but the max torque is only 192Nm that too at 4500rpm. Compared to the turbo petrol in Hector that has 250Nm at only 1600-3600rpm.

I was looking at the new petrol Tucson and comparing it with this new facelift Hector and struggling to find reasons to get the Tucson over the facelift Hector. (Around 8-10L price difference on road can be expected with top end Tucson and new ADAS top end Hector).
IMO the comparison is as follows:
Hector's engine's + points:
1) Torque at lower RPM - Better pickup/pull

2) Power (bhp) - upto lower rpm range will give peak power quicker and make gear shifts. Alcazar and Tucson have a very linear pickup due to this reason which make it further sedate driving experience

Tucson's engine's + points:
1) NA engines don't have turbo lag; will be linear from start
2) Longer life and cheaper maintenance vs. Turbo engines

Above being stated, people do crib that Hector's engine is lethargic and not for enthusiasts. I feel Tucson's must be 2x of Hector's lethargy (basis Alcazar reviews). Maybe those who have driven both back to back can confirm.

Also, paying 10 lakhs extra, would only make sense, if money doesn't matter and you need a car to make a statement, as same engine you get in Alcazar which is still better VFM proposition. Rest, I would prefer Hector any day amongst these three.
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 16:48   #96
BHPian

Does it make sense to wait for the Hector facelift? (Given that it will cost at least 2L more than the current top model)
Old 9th September 2022, 17:01   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Its Chinese variant Baojun 530 got 5 star rating in China NCAP.
Sorry these are all the Baojuns China NCAP has tested and the 530 does not appear to be one of them:
Scoop! MG Hector facelift launch plans; feature updates & price-cncap-baojun.png

They have tested the similar 510 (I believe it's the same platform, the Baojun 510 is to the 530 what the Chevrolet Groove is to the Captiva) and it has four stars.

Last edited by ron178 : 9th September 2022 at 17:11.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 20:34   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Sorry these are all the Baojuns China NCAP has tested and the 530 does not appear to be one of them:
Attachment 2356764

They have tested the similar 510 (I believe it's the same platform, the Baojun 510 is to the 530 what the Chevrolet Groove is to the Captiva) and it has four stars.
For quick reference there is an article from Overdrive which states following:
Quote:
We don't have Indian safety ratings for either, but the Baojun 530 (sold in China, on which the MG Hector has been closely developed) has scored a 5-star rating in the C-NCAP, which is an adaptation of Euro-NCAP regulations.
https://www.overdrive.in/reviews/com...-tata-harrier/

Another video on Chevrolet Captiva (Hector) going through NCAP testing, shows structural strength on impact.

I will try to find out more details on China NCAP's rating.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 20:53   #99
BANNED

Whats the point of these upgrades. It's all just gimmicks. You will get bored of all these in sometime. What we really want is mechanical upgrades.
Old 9th September 2022, 21:40   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dular View Post
Does it make sense to wait for the Hector facelift? (Given that it will cost at least 2L more than the current top model)
Depends! For me it's a Yes! For me larger grille looks better. I would prefer to get ADAS in my next car as i will be using it for next 5-6 years. By next year most 15L+ priced cars will have it. I would prefer a better infotainment system with better touch response. A new gen car may command better resale value as well. I'm happy with current petrol CVT as i don't plan to go beyond 90-100. Still better tuning is welcome.
Old 11th September 2022, 17:55   #101
BHPian

Quote:
The search for worthy car for next upgrade began in January 2021. Kushaq, Astor and then Compass and XUV700, after evaluating all we ended up liking HECTOR the most. Now the wait for facelift has made me read too much about this company's roots, global activites, progress in India, etc. over last 8-9 months.
Interesting! For me as well, as of now Hector looks to be the most logical choice.

However, I have joined a few MG hector owner groups on FB and there seems to be abnormally high number of almost new (<1 yr) Hectors up for re-sale, or owners reporting engine failure/stalling issues? I am not sure, if I am mis-reading the noise but given your deep research, wanted to understand your perspective on over MG’s reliability and hassle-free ownership experience?

Appreciate your feedback!
mountainboy1213 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 18:40   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting!
However, I have joined a few MG hector owner groups on FB and there seems to be abnormally high number of almost new (<1 yr) Hectors up for re-sale, or owners reporting engine failure/stalling issues? I am not sure, if I am mis-reading the noise but given your deep research, wanted to understand your perspective on over MG’s reliability and hassle-free ownership experience?

Agreed I have noticed similar posts on FB. A lot of these cases are of people who are unhappy with low mileage of 6-9kmpl. I'm not sure why people buy a car this big and heavy and with petrol (that too Turbo!) and expect maruti alto's mileage.

Other posts on error messages - a lot of these are minor repeatedly stated issues which can be easily resolved in couple of steps (a lot of these people try solving in comments simply).

Now the comfort that I have with this car is the fact that couple of Hector owners in my circle (2019 and 2021 models) have had stress free experience over last 3 years (2019). Also the one with 2021 model said the pickup of CVT is good enough once your driving style adapts to such setup.

Lastly, given the no. of cars being sold, few cars hitting resale market is normal. One report stated Hector commands low depreciation (not sure if just paid marketing!).

Last edited by manpreetsj : 11th September 2022 at 18:42.
Old 11th September 2022, 18:53   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Other posts on error messages - a lot of these are minor repeatedly stated issues which can be easily resolved in couple of steps (a lot of these people try solving in comments simply). .
I agree, I too believe there is higher noise than actual pain-points ( Hoping I am true on this �� ) - Also, similar issues seem to plague almost every car in this segment...as I often say there is no perfect car :-(

Also, have you done some research on which warranty package should one buy – I believe MG Shield has some tiers ( Classic, Premium, Elite), but I don’t yet fully understand the distinguishing elements and price differntials?

Any insights from the group members on this will be welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by mountainboy1213 : 11th September 2022 at 19:07. Reason: typo correction
Old 12th September 2022, 01:22   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Other posts on error messages - a lot of these are minor repeatedly stated issues which can be easily resolved in couple of steps (a lot of these people try solving in comments simply).

I don't have FB, so can you please help me understand what are these other minor issues that owners seem to report?

Thanks!
Old 12th September 2022, 15:05   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting! For me as well, as of now Hector looks to be the most logical choice.

My friend owns an MG hector 2020 diesel MT. He is been very happy with car and MG service. Once his car's clutch got burnt, the MG people replaced it completely under warranty and that too in couple of days. I have done long highway drives city drive in it. Its very comfortable and also reliable. Not much to nit-pick except for an automatic gear box and a lag free infotainment. Plus when you are on call through infotainment system, you can't control AC settings, UI design issue i suppose.
Wakeupsid is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks