Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 15:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! MG Hector facelift launch plans; feature updates & price

Mod Note: Our MG Hector Facelift Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The MG Hector is scheduled to receive an update later this year. We’ve been told that the carmaker will share more information regarding the same with the media soon.

Scoop! MG Hector facelift launch plans; feature updates & price-2021mghectorfacelift01-1.jpg

According to sources, the Hector facelift could be launched by the end of 2022. Rumours suggest that the price of the 'Sharp' variant could go up by Rs 2 lakh, while the top-spec 'Savvy' trim equipped with ADAS may demand a premium of Rs 2.5 - 3 lakh.

Scoop! MG Hector facelift launch plans; feature updates & price-2021mghectorfacelift02-1.jpg

The Hector is expected to receive various updates, both on the exterior as well as the interior. One of the highlights of the car will be its new 14-inch touchscreen infotainment system.

Scoop! MG Hector facelift launch plans; feature updates & price-2021mghectorfacelift15.jpg

The SUV is unlikely to receive any mechanical updates. It will continue to use the same 2.0-litre diesel, 1.5-litre turbo-petrol and 1.5-litre mild-hybrid powertrains.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 8th January 2023 at 11:12.
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 17:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Scoop! MG Hector facelift launch plans; feature updates & price

I very much look forward to this facelift - I sincerely do hope and assume that Hector Plus would be updated around the same time too? I'm hoping before/around Diwali rather than Christmas.
Meanwhile I am very much intrigued by the recent Tucson launch, and do plan on having a look at it, once the pricing is announced.

Oh team, it seems that I have an itch for a new car this year of '22. One way or another, I'm gonna get ya.
Lord-Lannister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 18:07   #3
BHPian

No mechanical update but SCREEN size goes up to 14 inch!
Best of luck Indian car (or should I say TV on wheels) buyers.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 18:15   #4
BHPian

Diesel automatic rumours have been there forever ! Looking at backlog for XUV700, others should try to plug the model and feature gaps they have to take some of the sales. ADAS is one but the transmission remains a gap.
Old 25th July 2022, 18:23   #5
BHPian

14 inches? What next? A 32 inch TV slapped on the dashboard? What MG should fix instead is the quality of the 360 degree camera. And yes, a diesel automatic, even if it is the lackluster one from the compass, will work wonders. And then the design. I know it is a facelift but if somehow they could reduce the bulk from the sides, that would be great
DonHyd is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 21:05   #6
BHPian

Hopefully we will hear more on this from other media channels as company will officially send out updates in a day or two.

I wish to see following on facelift:
1) New more powerful Petrol engine, as found in MG One and MG 6 Pro cars announced this year. This engine is more powerful at 181hp and 285Nm and also offers better mileage as per international reports.
2) Better and modern looking interiors like that of new Tucson with responsive touchscreen and smoother UI
3) Better camera quality
4) Less use of chrome (just like Hector Plus) with larger grill to make it more imposing.
5) Hope they launch it by Diwali and not push it to fag end of end. I had booked Hector in May with hope of facelift launching in August. Further wait will be tiring.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 25th July 2022 at 21:09.
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 21:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, other than better camera quality and a diesel automatic, the car doesn't really need any more upgrades. It's already best in class in features : price ratio
Cresterk is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 23:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
14 inches? What next? A 32 inch TV slapped on the dashboard?
Funny, but believe me this is where the growth is, in the Automotive sector. The Infotainment & Connectivity, Instrument Cluster, ADAS etc. Screen sizes will grow until they saturate like the Mobile handsets.

Quote:
What MG should fix instead is the quality of the 360 degree camera.
Agreed. The camera quality needs to be upgraded to HD quality.

Quote:
1) New more powerful Petrol engine, as found in MG One and MG 6 Pro cars announced this year. This engine is more powerful at 181hp and 285Nm and also offers better mileage as per international reports.
I doubt. Usually major design and mechanical change are kept for next generation. Facelift will be cosmetic, bug fixes etc.

Quote:
2) Better and modern looking interiors like that of new Tucson with responsive touchscreen and smoother UI
The current Hector interiors are good know but of course it will be as per one's taste. Ya, Infotainment, camera and Cluster need upgrade to HD.

Last edited by darthvader001 : 25th July 2022 at 23:16. Reason: Quoted
darthvader001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 06:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader001 View Post
The current Hector interiors are good know but of course it will be as per one's taste. Ya, Infotainment, camera and Cluster need upgrade to HD.
Agreed that current is good enough. But if you just look at new breed of cars coming out of SAIC group companies, you will end up asking for more. You may search for MG Marvel R EV car sold in Europe. Or else refer below link for 3rd gen Roewe RX5 2023 - look at the instrument cluster (moveable?!) With lag free UI, drool worthy jewel like gear knob design, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader001 View Post
I doubt. Usually major design and mechanical change are kept for next generation. Facelift will be cosmetic, bug fixes etc.
That's the sad part, may not get it in Hector. However, SAIC group has started adding this engine in a lot of new gen cars like RX5 (above video), MG 6 Pro, MG 5 Scorpio, MG One, MG HS/Pilot, etc. In these MG 5 and 6 are faclifts which got this engine change. In any case can't have high hopes!

Last edited by manpreetsj : 26th July 2022 at 06:44.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

MG India has released the first teaser of the updated Hector, showing a 14-inch portrait style infotainment system.

Scoop! MG Hector facelift launch plans; feature updates & price-20220726_112243.jpg

Scoop! MG Hector facelift launch plans; feature updates & price-20220726_112246.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 26th July 2022 at 11:25.
Venkatesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

If there's a car that really needs a "FACE-LIFT" - its this one. Mild cosmetic changes like bumper tucks and hatch nips - aren't going to cut it IMO. Out on the street - this car isn't exactly fulfilling what we Indians want from a large "SUV". Butch stance and something called "presence" (I don't know what it literally means, but apparently is important).

The car will do tremendous numbers if its looks are sorted. I suspect not many buy the Hector for its looks but for the other value & features that it provides. Imagine the sales numbers if it looked as good as some of them Europeans or even the Harrier twins for that matter & came with the kit that it offers right now! But in this department what it needs is probably something more aligned with a generation change & not just a face-lift.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
No mechanical update but SCREEN size goes up to 14 inch!
Best of luck Indian car (or should I say TV on wheels) buyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
14 inches? What next? A 32 inch TV slapped on the dashboard?
After safety which includes ADAS, having a large screen is extremely important. For me that is the most important feature in a vehicle. It enhances safety as well as the driver can see maps and other settings easily. If we are paying 20 lakhs plus for a vehicle, there is no reason to not get a 20 inch Tesla style high quality screen or multiple screens as in Mercedes and Mahindra XUV700.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:11   #13
BANNED

I really like the fact that MG makes safe as well as technology laden cars, be it the Hector, Gloster or Astor, all of them are great cars with excellent build quality too. Hope they introduce a sub 4 metre SUV soon as well.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
MG India has released the first teaser of the updated Hector, showing a 14-inch portrait style infotainment system.

Attachment 2338685

Attachment 2338686

Link
The intel was spot on yesterday!

Interesting to note following:
1) MG is promoting it as "NEXT GEN" - will they give new Petrol engine?
2) Fully digital instrument cluster
3) Change in UI for larger screen
4) All black interiors (black dashboard visible) may make a come back for Savvy trim
5) AC vents position has changed from vertical to horizontal
6) New gear knob
7) AC design may cover the complete dashboard like in new i20.

Quite hyped for this facelift!!

Last edited by manpreetsj : 26th July 2022 at 12:23.
Old 26th July 2022, 12:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
If there's a car that really needs a "FACE-LIFT" - its this one. Mild cosmetic changes like bumper tucks and hatch nips - aren't going to cut it IMO. Out on the street - this car isn't exactly fulfilling what we Indians want from a large "SUV". Butch stance and something called "presence" (I don't know what it literally means, but apparently is important).
Hi, my 2 cent on this -
Butch stance & Road Presence - you will get only from Full Size SUVs like Gloster/Fortuner/Endeavor/Scorpio
Only Road presence - some of the Mid size SUVs (Hector/Harrier/Safari/Innova/XUV) can give. It depends on perception (person to person)

Coming to Hector, this is one of the most VFM vehicle out there in the street for what they're charging. And this will fall under the mid size. Creta/Seltos/Kushaq etc will be Compact SUV and they're charging almost equal to Hector.

Quote:
The car will do tremendous numbers if its looks are sorted. I suspect not many buy the Hector for its looks but for the other value & features that it provides. Imagine the sales numbers if it looked as good as some of them Europeans or even the Harrier twins for that matter & came with the kit that it offers right now! But in this department what it needs is probably something more aligned with a generation change & not just a face-lift.
Hector/Plus are selling in good numbers for what they're actually manufacturing. Don't go alone by the numbers because their overall manufacturing capacity has not increased at all. Within their capacity they're doing Hector/Plus, Astor, Gloster, ZS etc. As they add a new model they reduce numbers of some other model. So now Hector/Plus reduced selling in 2-3k units monthly because they added Astor and ZS EV otherwise all their models are in demand.

Quote:
The intel was spot on yesterday!
interesting to note following:
1) MG is promoting it as "NEXT GEN" - will they give new Petrol engine?
2) Fully digital instrument cluster
3) Change in UI for larger screen
4) All black interiors (black dashboard visible) may make a come back for Savvy trim
5) AC vents position has changed from vertical to horizontal
6) New gear knob
Quite hyped for this facelift.
Yep, they're clearly marketing as next generation so you might expect anything. They might bring changes similar to Astor/ZS. Good luck to you but you need to wait till it comes. May be worth the wait.
darthvader001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks