Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:19   #1
BHPian

Making of a great new SUV

This is just my 2 cents. I still dont know why car companies in India cant think out of the box (or the boxes they are selling). Here are couple of great examples.

1. Launch of SX4 : Why cant they launch the SX4 mini SUV with the 1.3 Diesel, they have both the engine and the jigs with them. They can always have the VGT 90 BHP option too.

2. Launch of a new Tavera which can beat the Scorpio/Safari & also the endy. The Tavera Neo has good (OK decent interiors) and again decent exteriors. Why cant they put the 2.0 L Optra magnum engine in it and create a 121 bhp SUV which will make the scorp's and the safari's run for their money. Again they have the engine and I am sure it cant be that expensive after all they are selling the magnum around 10 lakhs.

Just couple of ideas and I hope some of them ie the car makers snoop around in this forum and do something about it.
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Whats Tavera???

Godfather
Old 23rd June 2007, 20:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Whats Tavera???

Godfather
those old boxy looking things with an isuzu engine. i think its an old panther.
Old 23rd June 2007, 22:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

The tavera has more options than the magnum engine from the isuzu stable itself with regards to common rail but the problem is it would push the prices to innova level plus mileage would be an issue.

Once prices are in Innova territory the main customers of the tavera the cab operators would move away further towards the toyota badge.Needs more of a platform change,modern interiors to get interest back into the tavera from the individual[private] consumer.

However Gm too seems disinterested with the tavera for the moment considering their production constraints,go to a Gm dealer you find a display tavera with difficulty forget finding a test-drive mule.
Old 23rd June 2007, 22:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

@ Rahul - In the GM workshop i visit there is always a Tavera at display at one for test drive always available.

I think they should keep the non-CRDI version and launch a CRDI too, so even cabbies can buy it.
Old 23rd June 2007, 22:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post

However Gm too seems disinterested with the tavera for the moment considering their production constraints,go to a Gm dealer you find a display tavera with difficulty forget finding a test-drive mule.
i went to a GM showroom and i saw many taveras inside the showroom and and on the roof to (they store cars on the roof)

they were all base models

i think GM doesn't mind the taxi image but toyota didn't want this kind of image
Old 24th June 2007, 00:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
This is just my 2 cents. I still dont know why car companies in India cant think out of the box (or the boxes they are selling). Here are couple of great examples.

1. Launch of SX4 : Why cant they launch the SX4 mini SUV with the 1.3 Diesel, they have both the engine and the jigs with them. They can always have the VGT 90 BHP option too.

2. Launch of a new Tavera which can beat the Scorpio/Safari & also the endy. The Tavera Neo has good (OK decent interiors) and again decent exteriors. Why cant they put the 2.0 L Optra magnum engine in it and create a 121 bhp SUV which will make the scorp's and the safari's run for their money. Again they have the engine and I am sure it cant be that expensive after all they are selling the magnum around 10 lakhs.

Just couple of ideas and I hope some of them ie the car makers snoop around in this forum and do something about it.
Both Ford and Fiat have failed to pass off jacked up hatchbacks as SUVs. Why do you think Maruti will succeed?

Tavera is a Isuzu product and Optra is a Daweoo product. I'm not sure how much crosslinking they have with each other. Daewoo would prefer to offer their Captiva with the same engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks