Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2022, 11:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Suzuki Swift spied testing for the first time

The next-generation Suzuki Swift (codenamed: YED) has been caught testing internationally for the first time. The new gen iteration will be based on a modified version of the Heartect platform.

Next-gen Suzuki Swift spied testing for the first time-2023suzukiswift1.jpg

The first set of spy images of the upcoming Swift showcase the hatchback covered entirely in camouflage, revealing very few details. However, the car does appear to have a completely new front fascia with a larger grille, sweptback headlamp clusters and a clamshell bonnet. While the floating roof design and overall shape of the rear seem to be carried forward from the outgoing model, the rear door handles are now in their conventional position.

Next-gen Suzuki Swift spied testing for the first time-2023suzukiswift2.jpg

Internationally, the new-gen Suzuki Swift could get a 1.4-litre turbo-petrol engine with mild-hybrid tech, along with a strong hybrid option. Suzuki is also expected to introduce the Swift Sport version of the hatchback at a slightly later stage.

Next-gen Suzuki Swift spied testing for the first time-2023suzukiswift3.jpg

The new-gen Suzuki Swift is expected to make its debut sometime in 2023.

Source: Motor1

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 28th July 2022 at 11:31.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:14   #2
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Suzuki Swift spied testing for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The next-generation Suzuki Swift (codenamed: YED) has been caught testing internationally for the first time. The new gen iteration will be based on a modified version of the Heartect platform.
The car honestly looks like a mix of all three generations of the Swift. Love the fact how Suzuki just keeps on with the same design philosophy throughout all generations of their cars, giving them a familiar look unlike what Hyundai and Tata did with the i20 and Safari.

That said, I'd have loved if they had retained the C-Pillar mounted rear door handles unlike the conventional ones seen here!

Also Maruti, now that you are already testing the current gen Swift Sport in India and have a rumored 150hp hybrid turbo petrol (read: Highly fuel efficient) under development, I hope you bring it here at least in this next gen!
theAutomaniac is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 13:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
The car honestly looks like a mix of all three generations of the Swift.
True, The silhouette and the window line remind me of the first gen swift, the curvy rear end like the second gen, and the sharp LED Laden front from the third gen.

Suzuki has dropped the C Pillar Handles from this gen, and gone back to a more conventional one.

I just hope that the interiors are more solid and upmarket than the 2nd Gen Swift, I feel Suzuki reduced the interior feel in the 3rd gen car.
umohan98 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 13:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Silhouette is true to the original the wheelbase has gone up a lot: looks like from the side profile, they better jack up the ground clearance for the India model to at least 170mm or more; else it'll scrape it's belly more often than the previous generations.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 16:00   #5
BHPian

I'm hoping for better build quality in the 4th generation and 1.0 turbo petrol as the standard engine.
SanjayW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 08:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayW View Post
I'm hoping for better build quality in the 4th generation and 1.0 turbo petrol as the standard engine.
I think 1.2 litre 4 pot should be the standard, 3 cylinders are becoming a little too common and it cannot match the refined feel of a 4 pot. I hope 4 cylinder dosen't become a 15+ lakh norm, while all 10 lakh cars get 1 litre turbo petrols.
sanskar3888 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 11:32   #7
BHPian

But turbo petrol is a lot more fun than naturally aspirated. If they offer a 1000cc turbo petrol, that will be something special. That 1.2L k-series engine, in my opinion, is no longer a special engine as it once was.
SanjayW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 01:04   #8
BHPian

It is time for companies to launch customised features. Like some may find cruise control more useful, while others may think 6 airbags are important for them. Adding both features will increase the cost, but if it becomes optional for buyer then he/she can get desired combination at low cost. However it will be a challange to enable such wide customisation in production lines.
s.sriram1989@gm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 09:20   #9
BHPian

Swift today is no longer the premium hatchback it once used to be. That title firmly belongs to the Baleno in Suzuki line up. So, as a package, next gen Swift will definitely be packaged lower than a Baleno in terms of specs.
Secondly, the engines may be different as there was talk of a new engine series being introduced throughout Suzuki line up, the last IC engine series that they would probably build. I just hope they don't get inspired by Toyota and make 3 pot 1.2 / 1.5 L engines as used in Grand Vitara / Hyryder Hybrids. They are always noisy.
And lastly, knowing Suzuki, I do hope they make more changes to the looks than they did to the Baleno. I think, spot the difference games have gone on long enough.
Carma2017 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 09:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
And lastly, knowing Suzuki, I do hope they make more changes to the looks than they did to the Baleno. I think, spot the difference games have gone on long enough.

Well most importantly they should stop producing tin cans and get 5* rated safe cars. This is the most important stuff!
searacer932 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 10:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Well most importantly they should stop producing tin cans and get 5* rated safe cars. This is the most important stuff!
Tin cans would be a part of history with government mandated NCAP and other safety norms. So, all makers would come to more or less similar levels within next 2 to 3 years.
Carma2017 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 10:41   #12
BHPian

1.4 litre turbo petrol sounds tempting. Hope this version will be launched in India, this will fall in the hot hatch category.
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 11:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsian View Post
1.4 litre turbo petrol sounds tempting. Hope this version will be launched in India, this will fall in the hot hatch category.
That would be the Swift Sport and I really hope it comes to India, with the Polo out of the picture (new MK6 model is longer than 4m) and Hyundai only having the i20 N-Line the market is ripe for a new competitor in the Hot Hatch segment and the Swift Sport fills that gap perfectly.

Earlier a Japanese car publication speculated that the new Swift Sport will retain the current 1.4L engine but will get a stronger hybrid system to boost power to 150hp.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 11:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
That would be the Swift Sport and I really hope it comes to India, with the Polo out of the picture (new MK6 model is longer than 4m) and Hyundai only having the i20 N-Line the market is ripe for a new competitor in the Hot Hatch segment and the Swift Sport fills that gap perfectly.
Swift Sport with right pricing shall be an instant hit if bolstered with safety features or safety rating. As you said after Polo's exit, there is still some vacuum in this category albeit the presence of i20 N Line.

Last edited by Gypsian : 31st July 2022 at 11:08.
Old 31st July 2022, 15:21   #15

I hope they give a sporty hatchback with a really good engine and good build this time. If they crack the code right, this new Swift will fill (atleast a part of it) the void created by Polo. The new design under the disguise seems to look nice, can't wait to get the official specifications!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks