Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2022, 23:16   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India

Three outdated products get discontinued and we call for the end of Honda in India? Jazz, WR-V and the 4th generation City were all products that should have been discontinued a few years back.

Maruti used to sell outdated generations along with new ones, Hyundai used to do the same as well - but none do it like Honda these days. Honda even gave these cars India specific face lifts to extend their lifespan by a couple of years.

For a change, glad to see Honda India pulling up their socks and looking at the future!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 23:40   #17
BHPian

re: Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India

While the Jazz, WRV are slow sellers and the 4th Gen City being a alright seller by Honda standards, it is kind of alarming when a brand has just 2 cars on sale, that too from a segment that has shown a general decline worldwide, sedans.

I just wish Honda launches its proper SUV's and other cars it sells. They have great cars, but I still don't understand why they would not sell it. Only time will tell if Honda will attempt to make a resurgence just like what Nissan is trying to do (From being expected to exit before Ford to now have one decent selling model) or will they meet the same fate as Ford and Chevy before them. Honda have the resources, they just need to play their cards right for once.
TorqueMonster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 07:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Three outdated products get discontinued and we call for the end of Honda in India? Jazz, WR-V and the 4th generation City were all products that should have been discontinued a few years back.

Maruti used to sell outdated generations along with new ones, Hyundai used to do the same as well - but none do it like Honda these days. Honda even gave these cars India specific face lifts to extend their lifespan by a couple of years.

For a change, glad to see Honda India pulling up their socks and looking at the future!
If you're selling 15 products and discontinue 3 it's okay, but if you're peddling just 6 products and discontinue 3 then I see it as writing on the wall. How can a company just survive with City and Amaze!? It is a writing on the wall and a warning from Honda India of it's imminent exit! Message is loud and clear!
Durango Dude is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 08:06   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
If you're selling 15 products and discontinue 3 it's okay, but if you're peddling just 6 products and discontinue 3 then I see it as writing on the wall. How can a company just survive with City and Amaze!? It is a writing on the wall and a warning from Honda India of it's imminent exit! Message is loud and clear!
Honda Cars India have been into losses for the third time in the last five years, so they have to step up their game, and axing unprofitable products and bringing in better profitable products is the way to go.
Old 29th July 2022, 08:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully it's just to clear the line for any new product in the design stages. The Compact SUV perhaps and the Creta challenger as well.

Creta has gone through 3 iterations I think since its launch and yet Honda can't bring one car to challenge it in India. Could sack the entire management for the way they are running the company that was once the apple of the eye of customers aspiring for a premium car.

Even the BRV was a good option which was discontinued prematurely. Wonder what goes on in their heads. If not for the brilliant 1.5L petrol, they would have shut shop long ago in India I guess.
SchumiFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 09:08   #21
BANNED

Those who still believe Honda will remain in India would be the biggest optimists one can come across in life. It's not a question of if, but when. Honda won't be there in India by 2024, unless they bring in sub 4 meter CSUV, Creta & Hyryder competitor and agressive EV models. But that seems unlikely to be honest. They have simply not even tried to fight, they are meekly surrendering. Honda City hybrid at ₹25 lakhs, chasing an unicorn environmentalist can be fun, but don't tell you guys are serious about reviving sales!

Deja Vu right? You bet, the story is going exactly the Ford India way! You can't bring swords to gun fights and expect to leave the ring hurt, the only way it ends is by murder. Coffin is ready, waiting for the ceremonial farewell showing last Honda City being rolled out news reels!!! We shall revisit the thread in two years
The Rationalist is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 09:13   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Last time when there was a post in this thread that Honda will shut shop in India, there was lot of hue and cry. Honda issued a statement and had sent mails that they're not going to do so. But taking such steps by stopping the sale of 3 models over a few months and not introducing great products already available in international market shows the level of seriousness they have for India. If I have to buy a new car today, why should I look at Honda? I have better options available everywhere other than Honda. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 29th July 2022 at 09:17.
BoneCollector is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 09:19   #23
BHPian

Launching the Honda City eHEV is a ray of hope. Simply hoping that newer models will replace them.
But if no new cars are being planned for their replacements, especially compact SUV/SUV, then, this is worrying.

Lets see what Honda has in news for us in near future.
Old 29th July 2022, 09:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
Launching the Honda City eHEV is a ray of hope. Simply hoping that newer models will replace them.
But if no new cars are being planned for their replacements, especially compact SUV/SUV, then, this is worrying.

Lets see what Honda has in news for us in near future.

Ford introduced the Figo automatic just few months before leaving India.
So one may never know about these companies. They will remain tight lipped and suddenly issue a statement and leave India leaving the customers, dealers in greater stress.
amvj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 09:32   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Ford introduced the Figo automatic just few months before leaving India.
So one may never know about these companies. They will remain tight lipped and suddenly issue a statement and leave India leaving the customers, dealers in greater stress.
Exactly, they launched the Ford Figo Automatic on 22nd July 2021, and announced their exit 7 weeks later on September 9, 2021. Ford's future in India went bleak and doubts started to arise about their future immediately after the JV with Mahindra was called off.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 09:42   #26
BHPian

Having owned products from both the brands, and having worked in one of them, cannot help but think how eerily similar Honda's story is to Ford's journey in India. Both of them were-

1. Companies with a great global line-up of products that are well suited to India with their VFM positioning

2. Excellent product pedigree in terms of engine tech and fun-to-drive quotient

3. Great customer loyalty- even in India. Ford owners still swear by the brand even after they have left, and similar repeat customers for Honda are there in the 1000's.

4. Created segment leading, locally engineered products- the City, Ecosport etc. and had a long brand presence in India

Despite all this positivity, they had that one big weakness- inabililty to communicate the importance and uniqueness of the India market to their top management, which in turn led to several bad decisions. As a result they could not play to their strengths and ended up with smaller portfolios which did not allow customers to stay within the family.

Sad to see this happen, and sad to see brands like Kia, Tata effortlessly overtake them, but then, the old order changeth, yielding place to new.
achyutaghosh is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 10:03   #27
BHPian

The writing on the wall has been there for quite some time for Honda. They have been on a death wish with launches of silly variants (Civic) or no launches at all (WRV CVT or the fabled CSUV I think they were calling HRV).
I had been a Honda owner since 2010 with 2 vehicles from their stable (1st gen Jazz and the Brio). Both excellent vehicles with no drama ownership and strong resale value. However, when I looked to upgrade, there were simply no options in the Honda stable other than the City (which for some reason I never really fancied).
Now I feel fortunate that I moved onto other brands. If Honda does indeed proceed the Ford way, I do not trust them enough to maintain a service portfolio for the existing customers.
I do not wish to see Honda die since I have been a fan of them since the 1st gen Civic was launched (boy did they destroy it's brand value in 2019) but shot after shot in their own legs does not paint a happy picture.
Old 29th July 2022, 10:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post

Sad to see this happen, and sad to see brands like Kia, Tata effortlessly overtake them, but then, the old order changeth, yielding place to new.
Let alone Kia and Tata, even VW and Skoda are together outselling Honda inspite of the negative perception on VAG for service and reliability. This can clearly say that Honda has absolutely no seriousness for the Indian market unlike what they were in the past.
IREV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 10:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

That’s Honda way of surprising us - in another thread of Honda many were wishing they will get new Civic Type R to India. But Honda surprised us by axe’ing 3 products

On a serious note, hope this indeed result in making way for new cars.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 10:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Perhaps they have seen how Jeep has survived with just one.

Jokes aside :P... I can see why you'd feel this way and im inclined too as well but the other scenario seems equally possible where Honda may have finally decided to make serious efforts after being lax for so many years.
Maky is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks