Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2022, 14:29   #46
BHPian

re: Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India

The Jazz and WR-V were cars that were getting too old. The cabin felt dated and there wasn't much in terms of wow factor either. Had the Jazz been offered with a 1.5l iVtec from the Gen 4 City, They could have made it a sporty large Hatchback, making it even a worthy rival to the i20 N-Line and call its a Jazz Type-R with white alloys, rear disc brakes and bright colours like Yellow, Chalk White and Solid Red
aveoman19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 14:54   #47
BHPian

re: Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India

Finally, Honda has responded to my last year's speculation about Honda exiting India.
While I still strongly believe and want that Honda brings better products to India, the current product line-up is next to too dated. I also wish that Honda doesn't go the Ford way.

Given the reliability, exciting powertrains (globally), top-notch ASS experience, low maintenance, exciting models, and of course a strong global (as well as Indian) market appeal, I am ready to pay a slight premium for a Honda over a Tata/Mahindra/Hyundai/Kia/MG. In fact, if Toyota can sell more despite being over-priced, I'm sure even Honda can succeed.

Are you listening Honda? Give us good powertrain-transmission options and the right models and the rest is taken care of for your success here.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th July 2022 at 16:43. Reason: Missing word
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 15:28   #48
BHPian

March 2023 fits into their timeline of the new compact SUV I believe, I remember reading about they planning to introduce a new crossover sometime Q1 / 2 next year. (Lack of Spy shots yet is concerning though)

Amaze and City are still doing good, so it's just the crossover segment they are really missing out on apart from the premium segment (Where Accord Honda ?)
ashish_sax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 15:38   #49
BHPian

Honda is a method actor who have great talent but refused to type caste and hence, apart from 1-2 hits, overall career is not commercially big success. Honda cars also have great machines but couldn't market itself as budget brand or premium brand, so loosing out on the game. Probably sibling of this actor (Honda 2 wheelers) learnt the trick of the trades for making success in both worlds.
Gummybear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 15:40   #50
BHPian

Impeccable timing, one must say!

I have just bought a used Honda Mobilio and will be taking delivery from the previous owner tomorrow.

I did have initial doubts as to whether Honda would take the Ford way, but decided to go with Honda as potential candidate anyway. In hindsight, it seems maybe I was a bit too optimistic.

Having been a Fiat Palio user, I will now prepare myself for the unique experiences that come with the ownership of a car whose maker has left the country.
Old 29th July 2022, 16:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

Honda - Please keep 4th gen Honda City, it's the best value for money sedan right now, everything else is costly. It is great car and it's better than most of the C-SUV's we have in the market. It looks better than 5th gen for me. Jazz and WRV are ok to discontinue as they were not selling much anyways.
aniketi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 16:53   #52
BHPian

Feel sad for the dealers and current buyers. The 4th gen Honda City is certainly VFM car at present. They need to bring new products along with phasing out of old ones.
sukhbirST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 17:12   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Honda Cars India will discontinue 3 of their cars by the end of March 2023.
Source
Is the above news official or just a rumour spreading around like fire? Because the speculations of Honda leaving India are increasing after this news. Honda India takes very strict actions against false news I suspect, so I guess we need to stop speculating or else this thread might also be stricked off our forum.
Tbh, I do wanna see a sub-4m SUV with all the gizmos priced from 6.99/7.49-14.99/16.49 lakh with the 1.5 NA VTEC and a 1.2 turbo with 120hp and 200nm torque. A mid-size SUV (Seltos rival) with segment bests if not segment first features with a 1.5 turbo with 150hp and 250nm torque would set the charts on fire if priced from 9.99/10.99-17.99/18.49 lakh! Honda, you have the capacity, please don't disappoint

Last edited by MADisMynAMe : 29th July 2022 at 17:18.
MADisMynAMe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 18:04   #54
BHPian

Don’t think Honda is going the Ford way.

I believe that they might go the Škoda way i.e develop products on the Amaze platform and the first one would be the new compact SUB.
I sincerely hope that they bring in the new BR-V from SE market.

Sad to see the Jazz go away. As an owner, I feel it has been underrated car.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th July 2022 at 18:27. Reason: Capitalisation
Samegoodkid is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 29th July 2022, 18:56   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

- Production capacity of all three models to be utilised by new SUV, half of which will be exported

- A compact SUV (codename: 3US) – is set to join the range in 2023. (< 4m)

- 50 percent of compact SUV production will be exported

- Honda Jazz could be discontinued as early as November 2022, while the fourth-gen City will likely get axed by December this year.

- The WR-V is likely to soldier on until at least March 2023.

- Japanese carmaker’s plant in Tapukara, Rajasthan will transition over to produce the new compact SUV

- Honda will compensate its components suppliers for any losses they might incur as a result of the discontinuation of the three models.

Quote:
The new compact SUV will be based on the Amaze’s platform, and as such, will likely use the same powertrains too – the 1.2 i-VTEC petrol and 1.5 i-DTEC diesel, the latter giving it an advantage in a segment increasingly moving towards petrol. As with the Amaze, it could have another feather in its cap in the form of CVT automatic options for both engines.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 19:08   #56
BHPian

50 percent capacity will be for domestic sales. Looking forward to the new CSUV. Hopes still alive. Aligns with what Strider24 had said in post 43.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
I reported this 1 week back in this post here (Honda HR-V midsize SUV still being considered for India)

It was kind of an inside announcement to all sales staff and message was that Honda will focus on hybrid Models in coming years, Jazz getting discontinued may be a good sign. Honda may bring the e-hev version of Jazz too though it will cost a bomb for a crossover/hatchback car.
Quote:
2. A new SUV will be launched by Nov -Dec 2022(he was urging me to wait for it before making the buy). It will be in the C2 segments SUV ( referred to it as Creta rival) not sure if HRV or CRV but they are told it's named as XRV ( I am sure it's a code name).

Last edited by ajayc123 : 29th July 2022 at 19:18.
Old 29th July 2022, 19:54   #57
BHPian

Honda has seen more discontinuations than launches since a long time. Once a brand with a huge aspirational value with the Indian middle class has literally nothing special to sell here.

There are more of the previous 8th gen Civics on road than the discontinued generation.

With a slew of wrong decisions, Honda has slowly and steadily lost the plot, and thus the market.
1. Making India specific models with sub par specifications - CRV and Civic
2. Being too optimistic with the pricing - CRV, Civic and now the City
3. Discontinuing models within 3 years of launch, instead of giving a price correction - CRV and Civic
4. Ridiculous feature distribution - WRV being the only car on sale in India in my limited knowledge to have feature omissions in the petrol model vis a vis diesel
5. Not plonking the tried and tested engine gearbox combinations in models that have demands - The "amaze"ing diesel and CVT combo

Honda shall now have on only two models City (City City HeV being the same car effectively) and Amaze. Let us see how long Honda takes to discontinue them, and thus shutting down.
shubham7799 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 21:38   #58
BHPian

As with so many things in the lifecycle of a corporate, Honda let success go into their head. I owned a Civic for many years, and experienced it first-hand. I remember discussing with my wife that after we sell the Civic, we are unlikely to go back to the brand. And exactly that's how it panned out.

To summarize, Honda failed to follow-through on the original Civic and Accord, at the time when Toyota could carry on with new Corollas and Camry (in small volumes but still..). Secondly, Honda failed to see the "rise of the diesels" and their late attempt at a viable diesel option was too little, too late. Thirdly, they failed to sense and respond to the coming pollution norms, fuel subsidy equalization and the resurrection of good petrols, even in mid-range. Lastly, again, they completely missed the bus on hybrids and EVs (not even an overpriced import)

All these mis-steps, over a decade and more, points to a certain culture in Honda India. I don't see spring-cleaning in their management ranks, or change coming through introspection. I am afraid Honda India is just slowling trundling to its demise as a brand in India, like a classic Greek strategy. All of us can see it happening, recognise what a tragic outcome it will be and yet, all of us are powerless to stop it.

Sad, I say. But Greek tragedies are like that.
Old 29th July 2022, 21:48   #59
BHPian

Meanwhile, Honda in Pakistan ! Never understand why India is inferior for Honda. Very eager to know what R&D Honda has done in India and under whose leadership.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India-img_20220729_214711_639.jpg  

Last edited by Hickstead : 29th July 2022 at 21:53.
Hickstead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 22:42   #60
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Recently visited the Honda showroom to check out the Amaze and Jazz. We finally ended up getting a 2018 Jazz but the whole portfolio is a mess.

1. Jazz is a perfect hatch for most families but it gets the not so quick 1.2 i-vtec. I am pretty sure a 1.5 ivtec Jazz will sell well, even at a premium.

2. Amaze Diesel CVT doesn't get cruise control nor a lower variant. Only available variant is the VX CVT which is around 14L OTR. That's a lot of money for the Amaze Diesel CVT.

3. If Amaze can get a diesel CVT then why not the Jazz, City or WR-V.

4. If the Jazz can have an AT then why not the WR-V?

Since a month, most dealers are pushing customers for the Jazz ZX and citing no availability around the V or VX variant. The showroom staff themselves push customers to get petrols. Basically, either Honda should improve their offerings or stick to selling the Amaze and City.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed