Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2022, 22:43   #61
BHPian

re: Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India

We knew this was right around the corner, didn't we?

Now, I need to get my mother in India an Automatic Hatch. AMT is a no-go zone, I'll never buy one no matter how refined someone claims it to be or how practical it is for my mother. So, should I buy the Jazz before it goes out of production or? Or? Or? Clearly, I can't think of an option other than the Altroz and N-Line, both of which aren't to my liking for multiple reasons. What car do I buy now? Phew!

So much for the Indian Car Scene!
Old 29th July 2022, 23:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
-

- Japanese carmaker’s plant in Tapukara, Rajasthan will transition over to produce the new compact SUV
This is a really good news for folks who want to see Honda alive. For all vehicle categories above the city, it's vital for Tapukara plant to open and function; be it even CKD models like the CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Very eager to know what R&D Honda has done in India and under whose leadership.
Yeah really would be a good marketing (how to fail convincingly) case study unlike anything before.
Old 30th July 2022, 00:06   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
3. If Amaze can get a diesel CVT then why not the Jazz, City or WR-V.
Because they don't have an automatic gearbox that can handle the higher torque output of the diesel engine.

Amaze diesel CVT is de-tuned to produce just 80 hp and 160 Nm, as opposed to Amaze diesel manual which produces 100 hp and 200 Nm. This is so that the engine output would be within the tolerance limits of this particular CVT (which is really designed for petrol engines IIRC). The outcome has been good for the Amaze.

However, they cannot pull off the same trick in the bigger, heavier, and more premium City. The existing 100 hp / 200 Nm is not particularly punchy when compared to the competition. An 80 hp City would simply be under-powered, and there's a good chance it might have been dead-on-arrival.

(Or perhaps not, considering the under-powered Altis 1.4 D4D sold in good numbers.)
voldemort is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 00:50   #64
BHPian

Honda Jazz is a very underrated car. It has the space and comfort inside to shame any other in its category. Very sad to see the lethargy of Honda.

It seems they dont even bother trying.
SN88 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 06:09   #65
BHPian

Sad to see Honda is discontinuing Jazz, WRV. For 4th generation City, I do understand Honda’s strategy since they want to push the new generation models.
Owning Jazz for more than 13 years now, I bet it’s a niggle free car and was a head turner back in 2010. With so much of space and comfort in Jazz, we have munched miles over miles. Jazz is also the favourite for my parents over my Civic 2019, they just love the car.
Old 30th July 2022, 09:11   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Three outdated products get discontinued and we call for the end of Honda in India? Jazz, WR-V and the 4th generation City were all products that should have been discontinued a few years back.

Maruti used to sell outdated generations along with new ones, Hyundai used to do the same as well - but none do it like Honda these days. Honda even gave these cars India specific face lifts to extend their lifespan by a couple of years.

For a change, glad to see Honda India pulling up their socks and looking at the future!
They have been talking about the future since ages without any significant launches in the popular segments (crossovers and compact SUVs). Merely discontinuing old products doesn't mean that they will garner better sales in future. Maruti was able to sell old products due to decades of trust in the brand which still no carmaker can match in India.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 30th July 2022 at 09:13.
Old 30th July 2022, 10:02   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
If you're selling 15 products and discontinue 3 it's okay, but if you're peddling just 6 products and discontinue 3 then I see it as writing on the wall. How can a company just survive with City and Amaze!? It is a writing on the wall and a warning from Honda India of it's imminent exit! Message is loud and clear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
They have been talking about the future since ages without any significant launches in the popular segments (crossovers and compact SUVs). Merely discontinuing old products doesn't mean that they will garner better sales in future. Maruti was able to sell old products due to decades of trust in the brand which still no carmaker can match in India.
Honda is in a bad position compared to Ford when the exited, perhaps even Chevrolet. True. But in all these comparisons and doomsday predictions - what we forget is the basic differences between Japanese and American culture!

While the American companies are governed by the visible numbers, and the leadership is often rewarded for short-term results (that may end up disastrous for the company in the longer term!), the Japanese look at a longer-term and often prefer to slowly build towards it.

Honda, over the last decade, was an exception to the way Japanese companies usually operate. They compromised quality for short term results and paid for that mistake with a loss of brand value. This was global, and the company has been rectifying that mistake for the past two years. Honda India had seen its worst over the last generation (The Brio platform products and the Jazz platform that is getting discontinued here) and hopefully will improve soon with the next generation.

PS: Personally, I have always felt Honda is a hyped brand among enthusiasts. The last Honda I truly admired was the original Civic! So I don't care (except for the loss of choices in the market - competition is always good) if they pack up or stay! But I don't see them leaving anytime soon.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 10:21   #68
BHPian

Hopefully they bring the 4th gen Honda Jazz to India, the 4th gen car looks great and all the engine options looks good (1.3L 97hp Petrol, 2 1.5L Petrol engines rated at 119hp and 130hp and one 1.5L Hybrid that makes a combined 204hp) and the standard model comes in just below the 4m in terms of length.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India-jzz.jpg  

GreasyCarb55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 10:36   #69
BHPian

I feel like Honda has become like Apple but without the brand pull. We have owned all generations of the city and will probably continue to do so because it’s such a sorted formula. But without new customers and innovative products how will they survive?

Coming to the 4th gen, we have had one as a beater since 2018 and it has not let us down once. The car does feel a bit old now though after 4 years and 50k. I would not buy one new in 2022. The Hybrid looked promising but I am yet to spot one in Bombay. That’s pretty appalling given that almost every second car here seems to be a Honda City.
Old 30th July 2022, 12:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

With just two cars in their fleet Honda are getting dangerously close to Nissan territory. Hondas are usually the 'sensible' picks in their segments but it doesn't feel so sensible to buy a car when you're not confident the OEM is going to be around much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Hopefully they bring the 4th gen Honda Jazz to India.
They've tried it in Africa and it's very expensive. It works there because they already have the other expensive hatchbacks (new Polo, Clio, etc) but it wouldn't be able to compete with rivals in India for nuts. If anything the Jazz could be replaced by the New City Hatchback (factory has tooling for the sedan) but the four-metre rule might still render it unviable.

Getting the HR-V e:HEV as a CBU temporarily would also be interesting, like VW did with the T-Roc.

Side note: Shame the GNCAP tested the Jazz and 4th-gen City so soon before they were discontinued. I really think Honda should consider investing in testing for the New City.

Last edited by ron178 : 30th July 2022 at 12:06.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 12:21   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
What are Honda India's plans?
I also agree with a few other people that Honda is probably going the Ford way ala the exit. If they were really interested in garnering a share of the premium market, they would not have discontinued their CRV and Civic.
They would be probably be selling the City for a couple of more years before they shut shop.
Old 30th July 2022, 12:36   #72
BHPian

I believe Honda will survive the onslaught from the Koreans. With the new norms setting in, EVs, Hybrids and 5 star safety rated cars are the future. Honda have their portfolio ready and just hope they Launch the right product at the right time.
The Jazz and WRV have been excellent products. Hoping Hondas to replace these products instead of killing them. Yet to see an unhappy customer of Honda.
Old 30th July 2022, 12:50   #73
BHPian

The upcoming compact suv will decide Honda's future in India.
Old 30th July 2022, 13:00   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
PS: Personally, I have always felt Honda is a hyped brand among enthusiasts. The last Honda I truly admired was the original Civic! So I don't care (except for the loss of choices in the market - competition is always good) if they pack up or stay! But I don't see them leaving anytime soon.
True, original Civic was driver's car with its excellent hydraulic steering, handling and performance, futuristic design and cockpit ahead of times. After that, their commitment to India was a question mark and had no good products to say the least. If they exit India, it is welcome.
VRSriram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 15:41   #75
BHPian

But key to the future of most auto manufacturers in India seems to be exports to sustain levels of profitable production. And with this step of retiring unsuccessful models, Honda I hope is more course correcting than taking a step towards closure.

Also, while this is a slight digression from the topic, I think it’s quite a contrast to see the fortunes of Honda and Suzuki across two and four wheelers in India. They are both able to crack only one of the two markets.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks