Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2022, 16:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India

Honda Cars India will discontinue 3 of their cars by the end of March 2023.

The company will stop producing Jazz after October 2022 while the crossover WR-V will not be produced beyond March 2023.

The carmaker will also stop the production and sale of the 4th Gen Honda City by December 2022.

Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India-smartselect_20220728163239_chrome.jpg

However, the 5th Gen City will continue to be available in the market.

As these three models go off the shelf in India, Honda will have 5th Gen City, City Hybrid and Amaze on offer.

Quote:
The carmaker is gearing up to launch a new compact SUV soon after discontinuing the WR-V.

The carmaker will start the production of a new compact SUV codenamed 3US/31XA in August 2023 and the expected volume is at about 40,000 units in the first year.
Source

Mod Note : New thread and poll created. Please continue the discussion at this link.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd April 2023 at 18:51. Reason: Link to new thread added.
Venkatesh is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 17:15   #2
BANNED

re: Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Honda Cars India will discontinue 3 of their cars by the end of March 2023.

The company will stop producing Jazz after October 2022 while the crossover WR-V will not be produced beyond March 2023.

The carmaker will also stop the production and sale of the 4th Gen Honda City by December 2022.
It's probably for the best, the Honda Jazz and the WR-V hardly sell a few hundred units every month. The 4th gen City has been on sale alongside the new 5th gen for over 2 years now. Time for it to go too.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2022 at 18:53. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 17:17   #3
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India

Volume is already low for these products. So, that means they are not going to upgrade engines for these product lines to comply with BS6-RDE phase, which will come into force from 1st April 2023.

Not a surprise though, as many more models will get discontinued by other manufacturers too, especially diesel ones.
pqr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 17:25   #4
BHPian

IMO the 4th gen City is one the most value for money buys today. The tried and tested iVtec engine combined with the best ride quality in it's segment it's hard to ignore at ~10L ex-showroom. Those not in a hurry to buy a car can consider waiting till Dec 2022 or Jan 2023 in order to get good dealer discounts.
kushagra452 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 18:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

What are Honda India's plans?

- Honda Cars' market share shrank from a high 7.26% in 2015 when it sold 192,059 units to below 3% today with less than 90,000-units sales in a year

- WR-V will have one of the shortest lifecycle products for the carmaker in India while Jazz had three generations across 13 years.

- Industry pundits suggest that the carmaker is looking for products that are premium in terms of profitability and product.

Honda Cars to discontinue production of Jazz, WR-V and 4th-gen City in India-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2022 at 19:02. Reason: Spacing error
volkman10 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 18:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
What are Honda India's plans?
News like these make me wonder whether Honda is going Ford India's way. I hope I'm proved wrong!
CrossLife is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 18:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
News like these make me wonder whether Honda is going Ford India's way. I hope I'm proved wrong!
Looks similar to ford's moves before they left. Maybe in the near future there will only be MSIL and Hyundai in the lower segments and the next segment will be the big 3 germans
hondatoyotafan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 19:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Death by a thousand cuts. Honda will quietly shelf their mythical SUV and be gone by 2023/4. They can easily retain a small plant for CKD e-HEV assembly.

Igominious end to a pedigree consisting of the first generation City, overall VTEC engines and the Accord / first generation Civic.

Wonder who they will blame in their press release.

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th July 2022 at 19:44.
itwasntme is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 20:00   #9
BHPian

Woah ! I need to seriously reconsider my decision to go for the eHev. I hope they bring in the SUV and get back some market share. This doesnt have a good feeling to it.
Old 28th July 2022, 20:12   #10
BHPian

It is an interesting and welcome move by honda!
Welcome to stop producing low sale units, Interesting as they are now left with "not so strong" units in any segments.
Hopefully the rumored Amaze "SUV" turns up fast!
thirumalkumaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 20:17   #11
BHPian

While its normal to discontinue previous generation or low selling models, the question is there any info if they are coming with new models?
ajayc123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 21:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Stopping production isn't an issue. My only fear is if they shut shops like Ford. Although looking at City & Amaze numbers doesn't seem so but you never know. They still enjoy a 'trust' in our market but just aren't ready to capitalize on it. Heck, they didnt even need to reinvent the wheel, just get the god damned HR-V, plonk in the city engine and that itself could have easily given them another 3-4k shipments easily, maybe more.

There are a very few cars in market which are structurally stable/safe. Sadly with Polo gone and Jazz on its way out, the hatch segment will be left only with Altroz now.

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th July 2022 at 21:02.
SoumenD is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 22:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

In general this strategy of shelving non- performing models are okay. But worrying thing is Honda neither had any significant launches (excluding City Hybrid) in couple of years nor has any confirmed launches in the pipeline. Only thing is we keep hearing about compact SUVs since ages. This is not very confidence inspiring. Hope all this strategy is to stay more relevant in the market.
They could have atleast retained WRV and given it that CVT gearbox from Jazz. Would have seen some numbers.

Last edited by sunikkat : 28th July 2022 at 22:24.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 22:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the beginning of the end of Honda in India. Like I was saying taking out a 10 year warranty on a Honda product will be futile as the company may not last that long in India, anyhow! When Maruti can launch a prohibitively priced Brezza with a 1.5 litre engine why not Honda launch the WR-V with a 1.5 CVT and give it a new lease of life? At least give the WR-V a CVT in the present form! One company I'm really sad to see it depart is Honda, not that my present ride is a Honda; I'm sad that they have soo much goodwill in the Indian market and aren't making use of it one bit! With no new launches in the foreseeable future I think Honda's soft exit from the Indian market has begun.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 28th July 2022 at 22:45.
Durango Dude is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 23:01   #15
BHPian

To all the prospective Honda buyers, pls don't complain later that they did not warn us! With many of the big shots leaving and now this news, we should all be ready to accept the inevitable.

PS: One Bhpian created a huge PR nightmare for Honda when he put up a thread in our Forum that Honda was going to shut shop in India. The outrage lead to the thread not just getting closed but even removed from our forum. The person has not posted even a single post since then. (It has been 5-6 months I guess.) I am beginning to wonder if his sources were indeed solid.
RaghuVis is offline   (30) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed