Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2022, 20:47   #1
BHPian

Default Is excessive research bad for car buying?

This comes from my current experience.

1. Honda City - read the news/rumour about Honda shutting India ops. Well, I will wait for some time and then decide what to do.

2. Skoda launches Slavia - Oh, its a Skoda. What about the after-sales? What about DSG issues and niggles, AC / EPC issues in Taigun? Test drove this. Very bad experience at the showroom. Dropped there and then.

3. Honda launches eHev - Oh, Honda still has something to offer for the Indian market. I test drove it and liked it. Pre-booked and am waiting forever for the red colour to show up. Now I read that there might be issues with the display going forward (conking off/bubbling/unusable).

3. Volkswagen launches Virtus - Love! What a beautiful piece of art (looks are subjective). Pre-booked because it seems to be what we need. Then read read read - AC issues, DSG problems in long term. Other niggles and not really up to the mark after-sales. *sigh*. We still didn't cancel the booking and waited for the test drive. Test drove the vehicle and found the AC insufficient in both 1.5 and 1-litre. Automatic start-stop is too aggressive. Canceled the booking.

4. Tata Harrier - Boy, has this been my dream car (wife doesn't really like SUVs)! But I read and found so many issues including engine replacements, steering wobbles, idle vibrations and other niggles with the infotainment.

I am now thinking if I should stop reading/researching about the cars and just go with my heart.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd August 2022 at 16:35. Reason: Spacing and grammatical errors
Mumbaiker is offline   (85) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 21:05   #2
BHPian

Default re: Is excessive research bad for car buying?

Reading up about the pros and cons is always a good thing. The chances of buying the wrong product are higher if one is not “properly informed”. The issue is when we take suggestions of tens of our friends seriously. Every one will have their own choices and suggestions.

It is best to check the available options first and then read some reviews of the shortlisted products. Finally read up the ownership logs and seek suggestions from a few people to clear your doubts. Thats it. Follow your heart after that.

I did the same to choose between Ciaz, S-Cross, Sonet and Honda City (4th gen): all sub 10 lacs ex showroom cars.

As an example from your post, I would stay clear of the VW-Skoda twins mentioned above based on what I have read in the feedback. I don’t wish to risk a DSG failure even under warranty.

For TATA Harrier, I may or may not take chances. The car is too good in general.

For Honda, I wouldnt think twice before buying it even if some people say that Honda may leave as I am confident that this wont happen and even if that happens, service will not be a hassle.
PaddleShifter is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 21:10   #3
BHPian

Even though it does tend to get frustrating to wait for the perfect product, buying a product fully knowing it's issues and then suffering with it does not seem like a very smart thing to do especially when the product is something like a Harrier.
Grimlock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 21:14   #4
BHPian

What exactly do you want to buy? What is your budget? What are your requirements? What are your priorities? If you can list out these things, you would have some clarity about the available options and it'll be easier to pick one of them.
CarNerd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 21:20   #5
BHPian

Actually you have researched quite well and called out the devils of each option. Now eliminate the biggest devils one by one, and identify ones that you can sleep with, and you will get an answer.

You can widen your options by being a bit flexible. For example, if you choose another colour instead of red, will that work out?

Last edited by ajayc123 : 31st July 2022 at 21:38.
ajayc123 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 21:56   #6
BHPian

You have mentioned few sedans and a one SUV too. Which category of car your looking for? What are your priorities? Your kind of usage? These details are essential for forum members to put forth their opinion
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 22:07   #7
BHPian

No car is perfect. You have to decide what features you absolutely need and absence of which is a deal breaker and everything else is good to have but not essential. For e.g. Good service network may be an essential feature for you and for somebody it can be as simple as a rear windshield wiper.
It is good to have extensive reading material easily accessible, so that one can filter according to their essentials list.

Last edited by cryptarchy : 31st July 2022 at 22:09.
cryptarchy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 22:51   #8
BHPian

For buying a car, I don’t do much of reading and research. I do take feedback from like minded people (also forums like team bhp), but ultimately the decision is only based on my test drives and requirements. There are final products which you can test and compare.

However when it come to mods (wheels upsize, suspension, remap, brakes etc.) I do lots and lots of research. Infact there were many sleepless nights for me whenever I did a mod. This is mainly because I do not have the full technical knowledge and I don’t have options and skills to check the performance of products. So it’s based on user experiences and expert feedback.

So to summarise, there is nothing good or bad with too much research. It’s depends on individual preferences and ability.

Last edited by sunikkat : 31st July 2022 at 22:57.
sunikkat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 00:47   #9
BHPian

Trust me, there is no such thing as researching too much when you're spending your own hard earned money. You should research and analyse as much as you possibly can before you dent your bank balance.

You should now proceed with the process of elimination, list out the pros and cons of all the vehicles you have shortlisted/will shortlist, and then eliminate those cars which are the furthest apart from what a practical ideal car in your mind would be.
SaiSW is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 03:24   #10
BHPian

Reading a lot has its cons. Every car has it's compromises. Maruti cars don't prioritize safety. The only two safe cars from Maruti (Vitara Brezza and S Cross had unimpressive interiors), Toyotas are expensive. Hyundai and Kia aren't safe either. VW/Skoda are a nightmare on after sales and are expensive to maintain, Renault/Nissan don't have service center reach, Honda might shut shop, Tata and Mahindra are unreliable and niggle prone.

There isn't an one true car that's best to own. You just need to choose which one you can live with.
Benoit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 07:35   #11
BHPian

It's called " analysis paralysis", the more you analyse the more difficult to take a decision.
SKC-auto is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 08:05   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

What I feel is if you want a sedan and like the Honda City, you should go for it, the chances of Honda shutting shop are not that high considering they have a compact SUV in the pipeline, moreover City is the most reliable of sedans out there, it is a tried and tested product with over 5 generations of the Honda City having been made. Naturally aspirated engines, 4-cylinders, proven i-VTEC and i-DTEC technologies, CVT gearbox for the automatic, no turbos or DCTs or complex technologies here, so it is built to last, they are hardly going to be any major issues popping up unless you are so very unlucky.

If you are going for an SUV, your options are wide open.

As far as Hybrids are concerned, the Honda City Hybrid eHEV is a good choice, although you are paying the premium for the Hybrid technology and being an early adopter. Moreover as more and more Hybrids and EVs hit the market, prices will stabilize.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 08:15   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

As things are, reviews are opinions too. And opinions are based on individuals, their experiences, their thinking, and to a huge extent, their biases. An unbiased, technically qualified review will be hard to find.

Suggest you check out the cars you like, find your comfort level of the car, and go ahead. Companies like Honda won't move out soon. Maybe a smaller brand will, but most established brands with large sales will not.

Then there is each person's past experience with brands. This plays a good part in the decision process. See what's your experience like.

Whichever way you go, ensure you build a good rapport with the service advisor, the manager and most important - the mechanics who will work on your car.

Problems with machines will happen and solutions will be there. This is where your relationships will be a big help. And last but not the least, take good care of your car. Use it well, and enjoy!

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2022 at 17:55. Reason: Typo
condor is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 08:52   #14
BHPian

It is good to read about products and then make choices. Example is this forum, I am sure many car makers have taken a lot of feedback from here. Makes them improve, helps customers get better service. If we are not informed well, we make sloppy choices and then do not know what to do if something goes wrong.

When people make informed choices it's on them. Like for example the DSG issues on VAG cars. Many people are aware of it and still think they are fine to buy the car. While a 5% consumers are fine with that choice, I am sure 95% readers (members and regular followers) will make it a point to either stay away from such cars or even inform friends/family about the problem. I have informed many people to stay away from these cars and they have done their research and duly stayed away. Bottom line - information is good, how you digest it and make choices if up to you. The duty of a good citizen is to be well informed!
Old 1st August 2022, 08:54   #15
BHPian

Looking at the spread of your short list, you seem to have gone with your head than the heart. Of course all cars have their own share of issues. If you are confused about issues, only barometer to check is the after sales service of a brand and go with that. For instance Mahindra XUV gave me 20 odd problems back in 2011-12. But their after sales made it a decent experience and I used the car for 8 years with no issues.

Which car to buy now?

Who is the primary user? If you are the primary driver, then you know the answer. It’s in your post itself.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd August 2022 at 08:41. Reason: Please capitalize your starting word. Thanks.

Most Viewed