Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:07   #1
Team-BHP Support

Paid 18.3L ex-showroom for Innova Crysta 5-yrs back | Getting 17.9L | Sell or try for higher price?

A Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) drops in a query via this Team-BHP share page.

We have an Innova Touring Sport 2.4 diesel MT 2017 (5-speed transmission) in the family which was purchased in August 2017. We are looking to upgrade and have decided to sell this car before going ahead. We went ahead with ‘ABC’ company for the evaluation process and got a quote of Rs.17,92,000 for the car. We had purchased the car at a price of Rs. 18,32,000 (ex-showroom).

Is this a good deal considering the car is 5 years old? Can I go ahead with the sale, or should I get it valued elsewhere?
Aditya is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Paid 18.3L ex-showroom for Innova Crysta 5-yrs back | Getting 17.9L | Sell or try for higher price?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd August 2022 at 13:24.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:14   #3
BHPian

re: Paid 18.3L ex-showroom for Innova Crysta 5-yrs back | Getting 17.9L | Sell or try for higher price?

Quite straightforward. What’s stopping him from getting a few other people to give him a quote? It only costs him time and even then can get it done in a day or two max. If it exceeds the price he has then he can go ahead and sell it to them, if not then sell to this ABC co. Is there something else we don’t know about this car?
P.S. would request a title edit. It’s lesser than what he would have paid otr by a cool couple of lakhs. Assuming this is a low run car which is why it’s depreciated by around 4 lakhs or so give or take.

Last edited by Iyencar : 3rd August 2022 at 13:17.
Iyencar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Used car prices have been firming up in line with the increase in new car prices. Great opportunity to upgrade to a newer model if you have the funds. Would have liked him to share the odometer reading atleast to understand if it actually makes sense to sell his current Innova. I mean, if its sparingly used, probably an upgrade isn't justified.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

I’m assuming that the car might have run around 60-70k km in the 5 years of ownership. I don’t think he’ll get a price equal to the price he paid OTR.

The real challenge will be to find an equally comforting car. Though I do read that an upgrade is planned, it isn’t clear what the next car plan is. No other car, even an upgraded one can fetch this sort of re-sale price. If there isn’t a compelling reason to upgrade, this car itself can run another 5 more years and still can fetch a similar price. Who knows what a new Innova costs 5 years from now.
jkrishnakj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:35   #6
BHPian

We don't have full information (about the car and its running) to understand if this is indeed a good deal or not.

Three points upfront before considering anything.

1) It is a seller's market now, not just in the new car area but also in the used car space.

2) Toyota Cars have always got a great resale value. Innova and Fortuner fetch better returns than even fixed deposits in a bank, so nothing surprising there.

3) The new Innova has become so costly in the last 5 years that this quoted price should not be a shocker at all.
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 14:08   #7
BHPian

Hello all,
My membership was approved just today and it is great to be on this forum.
The Innova which we are talking about on this thread is mine. The car has an ODO reading of around 52,000 kms.
We are planning to upgrade to an Innova crysta only (Variant - Z AT diesel) and have not thought of any other car. The car is primarily driven by my dad and is used mostly in city, that is the reason to switch to an automatic.

Thank you for your valuable inputs!
TURBO28 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 18:59   #8
BHPian

Put an ad on OLX and see the average price offered for your car.
lionheart_mm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 22:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO28 View Post
Hello all,
The Innova which we are talking about on this thread is mine. The car has an ODO reading of around 52,000 kms.
We are planning to upgrade to an Innova crysta only (Variant - Z AT diesel) and have not thought of any other car. The car is primarily driven by my dad and is used mostly in city, that is the reason to switch to automatic
The deal looks pretty good but end of the day you would be paying around 6-8L extra to get almost the same vehicle but with the AT and a few creature comforts. So if that makes sense to you then yes, why not go ahead But if you are planning to use it only within the city and for short runs, you should consider the possibility of having DPF issues in the longrun.

Last edited by audioholic : 3rd August 2022 at 22:33.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 22:43   #10
BHPian

The other risk that I can think is that if by chance an NGT ban is introduced for 10 year diesel vehicles in near future, then your vehicle's usable life may be limited. By switching to a new vehicle, you are postponing that risk by another 5 years.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 3rd August 2022 at 22:44.
ajayc123 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 22:44   #11
BHPian

The deal is kind of good. I had a weird situation where the so called valuation company quoted a price of ₹17.xx lakhs yesterday, but again today morning received a message with a quote of just ₹17 lakhs. I don't know what they were thinking or made them reduce the quote. The on-road price of the Crysta top end automatic in Bengaluru is a whopping almost ₹34 lakhs, which is just crazy. The price includes the extended warranty for 4th and 5th year.

Thanks.
TURBO28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 23:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
First cross check the quote, the first quote is just for a ball park assessment. Get it inspected and then share the final quote.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 23:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
First cross check the quote, the first quote is just for a ball park assessment. Get it inspected and then share the final quote.
I have got it inspected and also a test drive was done before I got the quote for the same. Is there any other inspection after that? Further info about it, if any, would be great.
Old 3rd August 2022, 23:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,
We are planning to upgrade to an Innova crysta only (Variant - Z AT diesel) and have not thought of any other car. The car is primarily driven by my dad and is used mostly in city, that is the reason to switch to an automatic.

Thank you for your valuable inputs!
IF this is the plan then there is no point in doing so. In next 5 years, if you buy a new Crysta now (approx 29L on-road, without discount) is unlikely to fetch you anything more than 20-21L in resale - unless something unusual happens in the market.

So it is a lose-lose situation w.r.t money unless there is something wrong with your car which has made it unsafe.

If you plan to upgrade or downgrade (change segment due to non-usage - after all 52K for Crysta is actually quite low), then it makes sense to close the deal.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th August 2022 at 05:14. Reason: loose > lose.
Old 4th August 2022, 05:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

I can’t comment on the used prices per se except that take 2-3 quotes from different dealers, negotiate hard and close with whoever gives you the best deal.

On the decision to upgrade itself, in my view, moving from Manual to Automatic is a BIG upgrade and is actually (for some) perhaps even more valuable than a segment upgrade because it translates to a huge shift in driving comfort. If financially you have the funds now, I’d say do the deal. Why drive a manual for another 3 - 5 years if you can upgrade to an automatic today.

Used prices are at a high so use this opportunity to get the best price for your 2017 edn vehicle and upgrade to the Z Crysta. It is really quite a plush car and in automatic guise should serve you well.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks