Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 14:05   #91
Senior - BHPian

I said I prefer to keep to the left till the time it is time to reach the exit. Suppose a roundabout has 5 exits (high chances in Lutyens zone) and from my entry, I have to negotiate 2 exits before reaching the intended 3rd exit. Then I keep left. I do not see the confusion. In fact, since I am at the left, I have more time and so has the person who is entering. Cannot really explain in words. But try it yourself.
Old 15th November 2007, 14:38   #92
Senior - BHPian

Dear Vasu, if you keep to the left, the confusion is not for the person who is entering the roundabout, it is for the one in the middle lane who want to take the immediate next exit and wouldn't know if you want to continue or leave the circle... (Of course your indicator should tell him that if you want to leave or not, but then he might be too close to you to see your indicator. This is where the indicators on the side mirrors (the ORVMs) helps a lot...)
Anyways, its not a big deal, just driving habits...

Btw, I heard that the French do the opposite in roundabouts with regard to entry and exit compared to other countries but I am not sure about it.

I mean, right of way for those who enter the circle, meaning the guys withint the circle should yeild for those coming in...???
Old 15th November 2007, 15:02   #93
BHPian

Like A God!

Smooth, jerk free, plenty of lane changing (smooth) and alert...most of the time

Otherwise, when i feel like lazy - I cruise in third!

Elito
Old 15th November 2007, 15:31   #94
Senior - BHPian

Round-abouts

A very good site that was posted earlier on the forum too which shows with flash animation the correct way to drive in various situations.

Source: Chandigarh Traffic Police's website.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:38   #95
Senior - BHPian

Excellent initiative. I wish all RTO's follows this and traffic police enforce/ educate the way they do..

I suggest Vasudeva see this website animation for roundabout, the car enters and keeps the middle lane till it exits..
Old 15th November 2007, 16:13   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
A very good site that was posted earlier on the forum too which shows with flash animation the correct way to drive in various situations.

I dont know where you dug it out from but this is tremendous.
Old 15th November 2007, 17:31   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Btw, I heard that the French do the opposite in roundabouts with regard to entry and exit compared to other countries but I am not sure about it.

I mean, right of way for those who enter the circle, meaning the guys withint the circle should yeild for those coming in...???
As I said in my original post, the rules of roundabouts I stated are only for countries with RHD cars. For countries with LHD cars, opposite rules will naturally apply.

Right of way will always be for vehicles coming in from your right. Since you are already within the circle, anybody joining the circle will always be on your left and hence, they will give way to you since you will be to their right.

Also, the use of the turn indicators (termed as blinkers in my original post on this thread) should also be done appropriately.
Old 15th November 2007, 17:35   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
As I said in my original post, the rules of roundabouts I stated are only for countries with RHD cars. For countries with LHD cars, opposite rules will naturally apply.

Right of way will always be for vehicles coming in from your right. Since you are already within the circle, anybody joining the circle will always be on your left and hence, they will give way to you since you will be to their right.

Also, the use of the turn indicators (termed as blinkers in my original post on this thread) should also be done appropriately.
Yes, I know right of way will be for the one approaching from right for right hand-drives and left for left hand drives. In principle, those approaching you from the driver's end has the right of way...

But my point, is the second item. I heard in France, yu wait within the circle and allow the one entering from your 'left' of course, before you exit from the circle... Normally once you are in the circle, you have the right of way to get out...
Old 15th November 2007, 17:39   #99
Senior - BHPian

In most situations, I give way to traffic to the right on roundabouts. I really do not know how to express it, but perhaps your own personal experience after driving to the left after entry will let you know better as to what I do.
Old 15th November 2007, 18:02   #100
Senior - BHPian

Do we need to turn back to see while taking reverse or viewing through rear view mirrors would do?

I generally use only the RVM while taking reverse, pls correct if iam wrong

Quote:

Good one and thanks for providing the link. I learnt a lesson today

Last edited by Surprise : 15th November 2007 at 18:04.
Old 15th November 2007, 20:22   #101
BHPian

Quote:

I really appreciate Harman Sidhu Singh's efforts in developing that website. Though he was binded to his wheelchair his commitment holds strong and made him do wonders directly from his home. I wish every RTO has one such beautiful website like that one. Learnt a lot from that.

Thanks Amit for sharing that link
Old 15th November 2007, 23:34   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Reversing... to quote several UK driving instructors I've known, "Allways look in the direction you are moving in". That means turning and looking over your shoulder: just using your mirrors would probably get you a fail on a UK driving test.

I cannot claim that I always follow the rule though.

I've never driven on continental Europe, but I'm told that priority on roundabouts is with those joining. Chennai roundabouts follow the usual junction rule: he who pushes gets right of way.
Old 16th November 2007, 09:06   #103
Senior - BHPian

Yes.. Turn back and look while reversing... The side view mirrors can help see any obstacles lying low, but after making sure there is no obstacle, turn back and reverse... That is normal practice.

I use the side view mirrors during parking (reverse parking). Here looking back alone might not help much.
Old 16th November 2007, 09:55   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
These videos are good. Hope driving schools are using these to train their students. But what do we do of the majority of the commercial vehicle drivers who may not benefit from driving schools since they mostly get trained by other truck/auto/taxi/tempo/tractor drivers.
Where the heck did the video hyper links vanish? I saw them right here a few days back.
Old 16th November 2007, 14:57   #105
BHPian

Another thought that comes to my mind on the subject is that we ought to always give way to ambulances and police vehicles if they have their hooters on......it could save someone's life !!

I have seen most drivers hogging the road merrily without a care in this world when an ambulance was blowing its hooter continuously behind him. Anybody hearing the noise of such hooters should actually check in the rear view mirror and if the vehicle is coming behind him, turn on the left blinkers, slow down or stop and give way.

Most Viewed