Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 17:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Does anyone know how much tax I would have to pay in Hyd to avoid the hassles of the RTA guys? I am entitled to drive the car for one month without paying tax.
The AP transport web site is pretty comprehensive and user friendly. It has the necessary formula to calculate the road tax applicable -

http://www.aptransport.org/html/3SCHEDULE.htm
Old 25th June 2007, 18:01   #17
Team-BHP Support

Hey Himanshu... so you are here. Welcome to hyderabad mate. Are you in Templeton by any chance?

About your car, well, Hyderabad is flush with vehicles from every possible state. Very occasionally, once in a rare while does one gets caught. All the IT and ITES companies have vehicles from every possible state. My office parking has vehicles from even Nagaland and Manipur.

I think you should start the process for obtaining NOC from the Bangalore RTA and also seek refund. Let them process it. I am sure sooner than later they will do it. If it drags on for more than 4-6 months send them a notice through RTI seeking the time period required. You will immediately get back the refund without delay if not a response. I am sure you know that very well

In the meantime keep driving. Hyderabad mein to aisaich hota.

P.S.: If you do not want to enter through the regular entrance for the Gachibowli IT park from the old highway then there is another option available. Another small exit much further ahead is available that passes by Nanakramguda and comes out next to Wipro office.

Last edited by Zappo : 25th June 2007 at 18:04.
Old 26th June 2007, 10:50   #18
Team-BHP Support

Off-Topic :

Zappo, i love the drive along that side road. There is a lake along the way, which used to have a semi sunken airplane set for some movie shooting.
Old 26th June 2007, 12:22   #19
BHPian

Talking about non-standard number plates, I have seen many number plates in Pune which says "Maharashtra-12" in Marathi instead of MH-12. Most probably these are local Shivsena type of guys. I am sure such regional spirit is there in most of the states.
Old 26th June 2007, 13:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

welcome to HYD. Hyd is famous for fancy looking number plates. There are many 'boss'es, '007's and what not. I had a collection of interesting ones. Then i stopped because u notice them once you move in and you will slowly get used to it. I was caught once and issued a notice saying that i should pay full tax. I told i will pay and they gave me a sheet which had usual govt langugag which i didn't uderstand. I never paid. I took a different route to office. Take the busiest and right most lane..chances of cars being stopped are less. Or if you want to look influential, adapt a fancy number plate. Cops are usually afraid of people unless they feel very safe otherwise. Don't worry , keep driving. The white inidca with NY traffic car style lights on the top, will mostly have a senior traffic fella. I talked truth to him and he told me pay it and will give you a notice. You can wave that to other cops and to him (with a bit of luck). by that time you will learn how to dodge them!!
happy motoring (dodging) and welcome to the meets.
Old 26th June 2007, 14:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Dadu, Is it *practically* possible to get a refund in Bangalore? How much does one need to pay (bribes etc..) for getting the refund?
It is practically possible to get refunds but yes, it does take a lot of patience and effort. So now look at the options you have, looking at the higher rate of RT in Karnataka.

A - Apply for refund and get it sooner or later.
B- Dont apply and forget about the money.

Make your choice.
Old 26th June 2007, 14:52   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I too noticed that atleast 20% of the cars in hyderabad and secunderabad run with old coloured plates, ie while lettering on a black plate. Im told that there is a supreme court ruling lately saying that it is not compulsory to enforce colour changes on earlier vehicles, but only on new vehicles. Im desperately trying to get a copy of the verdict, as I believe in the old school of thought. Can anybody help?

cheers
karl
Old 20th July 2007, 19:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

I too wish I had a copy of that verdict. My case is exemplary---I bought my WagonR in July 2001 and went for a new number plate---the old rule was in force then---my personal preference too.
A kid was in the shop and he asked me--"do you want black background and white numbers or the other way round?"
I said 'black background, of course, this is not a cab!". Paid him 300 bucks and got it done.
The tragedy is that the very next day--yes, the very next day the newspapers published the new rule. Thankfully, the order was stayed for years.
But a year back, I was stopped by a squad opp Taj Krishna and questioned. I told them about the stay order,but the constable told me the stay has been lifted. I argued that how come it was not published in the papers? He had no reply, but let me off with a verbal caution.
Few days later, I saw a press item on this subject. Damn--the new rule was gonna be enforced, so I got my new number plates done---but the car looks **** now, due to the black bumper. The earlier one matched well with it.
Today's newspaper says the cops are trying to collect 1 crore in penalty from fancy number plate vehicles. Even my neighbour with a Skoda Elegance was forced to change her fancy plate.
Old 20th July 2007, 19:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Off-Topic :

Zappo, i love the drive along that side road. There is a lake along the way, which used to have a semi sunken airplane set for some movie shooting.
benbsb29---that plane aint there anymore! I too saw it in Dec 2005, but when I drove down that road last month, the whole pond was missing, not just the plane !!
Old 20th July 2007, 19:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Zappo, are you in Franklin Templeton ?
Old 23rd January 2009, 21:42   #26
BHPian

Well, Many Vehicles in hyderabad and secunderabad Run with Fancy Number plates..Many influential people and in smaller towns like rajahmundry, mahbubnagar lot of vehicles run without plates and some owners even put up their photos on the number plates.
. \

Does the Number Plate Color rule (Black letters on White Number Plate) even apply to old vehicles like Premier Padmini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
In hyderabad, Jantha hain main/mera baap/mari maa/ mera dada kaun hai or suspend kara doonga or commissioner ko phone karoon kya? works very well or 50-100 bucks usually suffice ... :lol
Exactly.. Influential people get away without paying fine and even Cops dont dare to catch them the Next time..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st January 2009 at 16:54. Reason: Posts Merged
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzrox View Post

Does the Number Plate Color rule (Black letters on White Number Plate) even apply to old vehicles like Premier Padmini?
Yes it does, regardless of the make and age of the vehicle.
Old 24th January 2009, 09:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzrox View Post
Well, Many Vehicles in hyderabad and secunderabad Run with Fancy Number plates..Many influential people and in smaller towns like rajahmundry, mahbubnagar lot of vehicles run without plates and some owners even put up their photos on the number plates.
Well, it seems that while having fancy number plates are fashionable in other states, in AP it is fashionable NOT to have number plates! And having your photo on number plates- if that's true, I don't even know what to say
Old 25th January 2009, 15:33   #29
BHPian

you can have any kind of nnumber plate provided your family member is some politician or influential.police people wont say anything.all our cars have number 5 and all are suvs,so they get scared to even have a look at the car.and two months back I put a blue coloured plate for my car.no probs.see my profile pic
Old 10th December 2010, 00:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Number Plates in Hyderabad

Today I saw a Tata safari with AP 29 regn sporting the erstwhile white letters on black background in the Ernakulam Kottayam road. I had noticed this style in Hyderabad earlier also. Is this allowed in Andhra pradesh even now?

Most Viewed