Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 10:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Number Plates in Hyderabad

Hi Guys,

I have recently relocated to Hyderabad and drove my Baleno down from Bangalore. Will post the drive experience on a seperate thread.
Ever since I have come to hyderabad, i have noticed two very strange phenomenon.
1. there are a large number of cars on the roads with Temp. number plates(yellow stickers with red lettering) In quite a few cases, teh condition of the car clearly shows that it has not been taken out of the showroom just a couple of days ago.

2. an even more bizzare thing is that there are a lot of cars on the road with the old style number plates- white lettering on black backgrounds. And these are not just old cars whose owners never bothered to change the plates. I have seen Civics, Fiestas and Accents with these plates. Maybe the Hyd members can shed some light on this.

MODS: In case this is not the appropriate section, please move this thread.
Old 25th June 2007, 10:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Your assumption is true, under both cases the owners can be fined by local police since these are not as per current standards.
Old 25th June 2007, 11:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Hi Guys,

I have recently relocated to Hyderabad and drove my Baleno down from Bangalore. .
Forget about those bizzare number plates.. The RTA guys are busy chasing the out of state guys to shell out on road tax instead of the locals. If u are working in any of the IT co's near Gachibowli.. the RTA chaps will be waiting to pounce on u anytime soon. They normally lie in wait near the entrance to the IT park road.
Old 25th June 2007, 11:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have seen quite a few cars upto or more than a year old without permanent regn. Thay usually wait for a "FANCY" number. And about the old style number plates, they look more stylish on black or dark coloured cars ...
In hyderabad, Jantha hain main/mera baap/mari maa/ mera dada kaun hai or suspend kara doonga or commissioner ko phone karoon kya? works very well or 50-100 bucks usually suffice ... :lol
Old 25th June 2007, 11:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Forget about those bizzare number plates.. The RTA guys are busy chasing the out of state guys to shell out on road tax instead of the locals. If u are working in any of the IT co's near Gachibowli.. the RTA chaps will be waiting to pounce on u anytime soon. They normally lie in wait near the entrance to the IT park road.

I am in Gachibowli but not at Hi tec city- i am towards the area where ISB, MS and Infy are. havent seen any cops or RTA guys there yet!
Old 25th June 2007, 11:59   #6
BHPian

welcome to hyderabad.... i am sure you will have even more interesting experiences.
People of hyd are very fond of fancy nos and hence they will wait for very long to get the number. till that time the car will sport the yellow plate. recently someone paid 3.5 Lacs for a 999 number.
Also some new cars have black plates as they look good. Most of the times traffic cops dont stop cars with fancy Nos as they might be someone influential.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:04   #7
BHPian

Slightly off topic, Wonder why the cops dont fine the AP registered cars in Bangalore with Black number plates. I have seen these cars in Kerala too with black number plates. Wonder what excuse they are giving Cops in these places.
Also I have noticed number plates in Hyderabad that do not go with RTO norms in terms of size. They would have small ones (Too small!!!) or huge number plates with small lettering that even a vehicle just behind cannot read. Once in Bangalore I saw a Accent with the AP registration, the number plate was split into two diagonally across, One part was black and other green. The green part had the lettering in black and the black part had the numbering in Green..
Old 25th June 2007, 12:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in Gachibowli but not at Hi tec city- i am towards the area where ISB, MS and Infy are. havent seen any cops or RTA guys there yet!
I meant the same place.. Count on it.. they will be there one of these days..right at the entrance to the IT Park road. I was unlucky enough to have an "encounter" with them on the very first day .. After that, spotted them every other week.. a white Indica with multi colored lights on the roof. I used to wave the challan they issued to avoid being stopped again and again !!

There is an alternate route to avoid the entrance via some village.. Nanakram something.. used that route to avoid them harrassing me further.

Last edited by spadival : 25th June 2007 at 12:17.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonder why the cops dont fine the AP registered cars in Bangalore with Black number plates. I have seen these cars in Kerala too with black number plates. Wonder what excuse they are giving Cops in these places.
Guess the bribes paid to AP cops are transferable unlike the Regn certificates.
Old 25th June 2007, 15:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Himanshu, dont bet on not getting caught. I used to work with Infy there, and i have seen them on the main road leading to ISB, Infy, MS and once you're on that straight road, there's nowhere you can turn to and escape.

How long would you be there for? Or are you gonna push Lady Luck?
Old 25th June 2007, 15:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant the same place.. Count on it.. they will be there one of these days..right at the entrance to the IT Park road. I was unlucky enough to have an "encounter" with them on the very first day .. After that, spotted them every other week.. a white Indica with multi colored lights on the roof. I used to wave the challan they issued to avoid being stopped again and again !!

How much was it, you can get mutiple challans during a single day, let alone days.

Quote:
There is an alternate route to avoid the entrance via some village.. Nanakram something.. used that route to avoid them harrassing me further.
Or if you are going to stay longer, get refund from your existing RTO and pay-up the Hyd ones.
Old 25th June 2007, 15:27   #12
BHPian

@ himanshu: AFAIK, the RTO in Hyderabad does allow a stipulated period of time for a vehicle to be driven on the roads with a temporary registeration. I don't remember well but I guess its for a month or a quarter. After the stipulated period is over you could still pay a meagre fine and get your vehicle registered with the authorities.

I do know that this is unlike the current practise in most parts of the country, but this have experienced myself when i bought a bike in Sep 05 and got the registeration done for the same in Feb 06. Not intended so, but was hardly using it.
Old 25th June 2007, 15:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Or if you are going to stay longer, get refund from your existing RTO and pay-up the Hyd ones.
Yeah sure.. As if getting a refund from the RTA is that easy!!

I paid quarterly tax of some Rs 1.4k since I was to be in Hyd only for 2 months..and now I am back in Pune . My case is documented in this thread...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post412773

Himanshu, If u get caught.. say Hi to Mr Mahendra Singh, Inspector RTA-West and Mr Chary, RTO, RTA-West. .. I am sure they will remember me.
Old 25th June 2007, 15:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Dadu, Is it *practically* possible to get a refund in Bangalore? How much does one need to pay (bribes etc..) for getting the refund?
Old 25th June 2007, 17:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

I plan to be in Hyd long term.....Like SU said, I wonder how easy will it be to get a refund from RTO Bangalore. I paid about 60K as regn and road tax for my baleno in Jan 07.

Does anyone know how much tax I would have to pay in Hyd to avoid the hassles of the RTA guys? I am entitled to drive the car for one month without paying tax.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks