Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2022, 12:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! A 13-seater version of the Force Gurkha 4x4?

Force Motors is said to be working on a 5-door version of the Force Gurkha. It will be sold alongside the 3-door model that is currently available. Now, a third version has been spotted in Pune.

Scoop! A 13-seater version of the Force Gurkha 4x4?-82cf4f275caf4198a7c824265d5665b9.jpg

The extended body on this long-wheel base version of the Gurkha looks similar to the Trax Cruiser. Note that it is longer than the 5-door Gurkha test mules spotted earlier. The front fascia is identical to the 3-door Gurkha and is equipped with a snorkel, windscreen bar, roof rails and rear ladder.

Scoop! A 13-seater version of the Force Gurkha 4x4?-33ad7690913b4bf19f2089f7b36345f7.jpg

Inside, it has seating for 13 people, including the driver. In order to accommodate them, the 2nd row captains seats have been replaced with a bench seat, while the rear section has two side facing bench seats.

Scoop! A 13-seater version of the Force Gurkha 4x4?-825ee80f8ed44e98b973be68fd10b911.jpg

We’ve been told that the SUV uses the same 2.6-litre diesel engine from the Gurkha 3-door. It produces 90 BHP and 250 Nm and is paired with a 5-speed manual gearbox and a 4-wheel drive system with low range.

Thanks to BHPian Blackwasp for sharing these images with other enthusiasts!
TusharK is online now   (53) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 12:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! A 13-seater version of the Force Gurkha 4x4?

Gurkha is targeted as a lifestyle vehicle for 4x4 enthusiasts on a budget. Making a 13 seater version will dilute the little interest it has in the market (my personal opinion). Why would anyone want a 4x4 Gurkha as a lifestyle vehicle with “very simple” interiors, especially when it resembles a Trax 13 seater on the outside. Atleast owners as of now can use the G-Wagen excuse to justify this, otherwise awesome 4x4 hardware package (over a Mahindra Thar with more features and modern interior design).

Cost is also an important factor when compared to the Trax and related vehicles. I do not think that making a 13 seater version of Force Gurkha is the right approach. Lets see what Force Motors is thinking here.

Could this be intended for special groups such as police or the forces?
PaddleShifter is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! A 13-seater version of the Force Gurkha 4x4?-img_20220807_125758.jpg

Running the number plate on mParivahan app, shows that it is owned by Force Motors Ltd., and is registered 1 month ago.

Before running the plate online, I was thinking if someone bought the Toofan or Cruiser and changed it's color, rims etc. for the new Gurkha lookalike, but this being registered to Force Motors, refutes that thought!

But, what if it is just a one of product registered by Force Motors for use within their factory, like Tata Motors had Convertible kind of Nano in their factory premises?
AdityaDeane is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Maybe Trax ran out of budget to develop a newer platform exclusively, and with even tighter emission norms in future, it makes sense to consolidate low-volume products. So, as they say

Why should boys have all the fun

I Hope Mahindra doesn't take a cue and start some development of a 13-seater Thar

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th August 2022 at 13:05.
Turbanator is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:05   #5
BANNED

To each his own, but I am kind of liking this thing, exactly what the lifestyle buyers actually need - no more V Cross + canopy needed if force actually launches this.

But yes, after looking at this, I want a pick up version too; I am quite certain that it will look good/butch enough and probably may sell more than Gurkha 3 door itself.

Last edited by VKumar : 7th August 2022 at 13:08.
VKumar is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

This XL / 13 seat variant IMO is designed for people up in the hills. The roads / paths are too narrow for buses, plus, it is full of slush / muck for even Bolero XL / Sumo etc to ply upon.

Sample video-

This vehicle should cater the entire Himalayan region including our North East, Upper W.B, Sikkim, HP, UK (Uttarakhand), J&K & across border to Nepal, Myanmar if exported. Shod with Maxxis MT is the way to go in those regions.
Sheel is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:19   #7
BHPian

I would actually want a 13 Seater Gurkha. The long dimensions of the car give it a very Defender (Old one) like look. And for a test mule, the car in the photo is in a great color and rims.

90hp is a bit too less for a car like this, if there is an update in the power figures, it would actually be really great
TorqueMonster is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

This can become the foundation for a good camper vehicle. Take out the seats and it has enough space for everything you need in a motor home.
padmrajravi is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Now that is how you kill a brand!! Seriously, Force? What's next? A multi-axle Gurkha?!

Last edited by cool_dube : 7th August 2022 at 13:59.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:52   #10
BHPian

Honestly, even though I'm reminded of the Trax/Toofan, I'm also reminded of the larger Defender, but 90hp is sacrilege. It's like running a Fortuner with a Hero Puch engine.

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2022 at 10:01. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts. Please type your posts out perfectly (language, punctuation, grammar, spacing, capitalization)
Chimera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 14:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

I saw a 4x4 Force Cruiser (Toofan?) at the Manali Clubhouse many years ago. I know it was 4x4 because the front wheels were spinning in the snow. Taxi number and presumably factory-fitted.

Force Gama (5-door) and pickups were also available in 4x4, even the local charitable hospital here considered buying one maybe around 2007/8-ish but was advised against it by the dealer itself since at that time they were experiencing a high rate of failures of some bearing I think in the transfer case... 4x4 production was according.to them then halted until that could be resolved, and presumably that resolution came by the time the first Gurkhas were introduced.

Main point to bear in mind is that while the original Gurkha was "new" (at least in the domestic market) in being a 3-door 4x4, but the 5-door, pickup, and LWB Trax 4x4 models actually existed much earlier.

There was a Bhpian who had a GAMA 4x4 way back, i think he was into birding or wildlife photography and really used it offroad, have tried but couldn't find any related thread or references / photos now... I think it was gold/ bronze colored or something like that.

Also was a 4x4 Gama (Judo?) in Manali for many years, talked to owner who said they'd never sell it (they all say that) but I'm assuming they must have because I've not seen it in several years now.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks, I can see where a Cruiser-length 4x4 version could be useful for a niche segment, as others here seem to represent. No point mocking Force Motors.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 15:31   #12
BHPian

Wow, this extended version of Gurkha reminds of the old Defender 127/130. This looks like a good option for Army/CRPF patrolling. This vehicle in the 2 cab version can also be useful for the armed forces, with the rear long open bay used for mounting ammunition and stock. In hilly terrains and naxal affected areas the snorkel, along with the robust underpinning of gurkha platform, added with 4x4 makes it a really good vehicle for the armed forces, by the way even the colour suits them.
ArTigor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 15:41   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
To each his own, but I am kind of liking this thing, exactly what the lifestyle buyers actually need - no more V Cross + canopy needed if force actually launches this.
One thing to remember, this thing will need a commercial plate and accordingly all tax related hassles. Is not an issue for commercial users especially who are based in hills and may be a vehicle of choice if done properly. Official 13 seats usually mean around 25 in most places
Turbanator is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 15:57   #14
BHPian

I am actually very interested to see this product being launched by Force Motors. It’ll again be a niche vehicle, specifically meant to cater to the needs of a targeted customer base.

However, I want this vehicle to be equipped with the 2.6 litre 115 BHP 250 Nm torque engine and the gearbox from the Traveller. The 90 HP engine, although adequate (just about) is unsuitable for such a large vehicle.

Another thing which bothers me would be if the vehicle would only be available with a commercial number plate (as mentioned by a fellow BHPian). There should be some way to get this 13 seater vehicle with a private number plate.

Personally I feel that if Gurkhas too start running around with commercial number plates, it’ll be injurious to the brand image of the Force Gurkha.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 16:23   #15
BHPian

This I feel is good news, It Can be a good option for camper vans. If it comes with Auto, I will definitely buy one and get a bed in the back for the kids.
drsnt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed