Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2007, 11:27   #136
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, but Camry is CBU.

but Passat is supposed to be CKD and yet priced same as Camry. Talk about a Rip-Off.

VW probably thinks most Indian car buyers are suckers. That's the result of their extensive market research
Old 13th September 2007, 11:42   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
but Passat is supposed to be CKD and yet priced same as Camry. Talk about a Rip-Off.

VW probably thinks most Indian car buyers are suckers. That's the result of their extensive market research
Considering what they've been getting away with regularly in Skoda's case, I have to say I'm not surprised. Look at the Laura if you want more proof of this mindset of VW.
Old 13th September 2007, 11:49   #138
Team-BHP Support

So what is Skoda and VW doing that is so different than what Honda is doing in the lower segments? Guys, we have to realise that ultimately it is the market that will decide what they feel a certain vehicle is worth.

I mean, we all go on and on about how overpriced and under-equipped the NHC is, but then it still sells by the truckload doesn't it? We all cried ourselves horse with the pricing of the Laura, but its selling far better than even Skoda expected.

What VW want to do is price their cars in a higher slab, one step above the rest. This is deliberate as well as incidental. And is the same strategy followed by them elsewhere in the world.

Coming back to the actual car, I am not a fan of the current look of the Passat. Too glitzy for my taste, and I particularly don't like the interiors with those dials and silver finish dash.

But then, the new accord doesn't look particularly hot as well.
Old 13th September 2007, 11:54   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hilarious headline of the month....current BSMotoring issue shouts "Watch out Civic, the Passat is here!!". Huh? Since when did a 25 lakh sedan compete with a 13 lakh one?
Surprising that BSM had that headline. I expect this from Mumbai Mirror and the auto shows on TV Channels not from an auto mag. But this months ACI reports that VW will price the upcoming Jetta between 9-11 lacs. Yesterday's Mumbai Mirror or Mid-day have reported the Volvo XC90 pricing at Rs. 35 lacs and say it will be competition to Honda CR-V, Ford Endeavor among others.

Quote:
what does Passat offer that Accord and Camry don't?
From the back of my head: Electronic Key fob, Electronic Parking Brake, Auto Hold , 6 speed DSG, Diesel engine, lots of Aluminium in the suspension, optional Directional xenons, Electro-Mechanical Steering, Disc brakes that wipe themselves clean in wet rainy conditions.
Old 13th September 2007, 11:57   #140
BHPian

right. there's NO SUCH THING as an overpriced product, as long as it's selling well.

if a car's selling, it means more often than not, people believe it's worth paying that much in spite of other 'well-priced' cars available. customer's king, and he decides. it might exasperate the passionate, that these companies manage to fool a lot of us, but then prices are only a mirror that's reflecting what this market likes.

can't blame the mirror if the face isn't attractive, can you?
Old 13th September 2007, 15:03   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
right. there's NO SUCH THING as an overpriced product, as long as it's selling well.
can't blame the mirror if the face isn't attractive, can you?
Absolutely-if it is selling well its obviously not overpriced and vice versa.
Old 15th September 2007, 23:40   #142
BHPian

Skoda has set its bar soo low that it is easy for them to "exceed" their expectations. Skoda's sales have been stagnant in the sub 10K pa level for years. Their share of the Indian market is miniscule.
Likewise, VW has priced the Passat so that it will not sell in substantial quantities. Even if they sell a few thousand a year, the total figure will, for all practical purposes be a joke.

The bottom line is that India is still not a fullfledged operation for VW. I think we can only expect realistic pricing from VW once they initiate their complete manufacturing assembly in India by the end of this decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
So what is Skoda and VW doing that is so different than what Honda is doing in the lower segments? Guys, we have to realise that ultimately it is the market that will decide what they feel a certain vehicle is worth.

I mean, we all go on and on about how overpriced and under-equipped the NHC is, but then it still sells by the truckload doesn't it? We all cried ourselves horse with the pricing of the Laura, but its selling far better than even Skoda expected.

What VW want to do is price their cars in a higher slab, one step above the rest. This is deliberate as well as incidental. And is the same strategy followed by them elsewhere in the world.

Coming back to the actual car, I am not a fan of the current look of the Passat. Too glitzy for my taste, and I particularly don't like the interiors with those dials and silver finish dash.

But then, the new accord doesn't look particularly hot as well.
Old 29th February 2008, 14:12   #143
BHPian

What's the scene with the Passat? Since it's launch, I have seen two here in Pune and since then nothing. Maybe I am not travelling in the right areas, but what about other cities?
Old 29th February 2008, 15:54   #144
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
What's the scene with the Passat? Since it's launch, I have seen two here in Pune and since then nothing. Maybe I am not travelling in the right areas, but what about other cities?
only 2 haryana registered passats till now including mine!!
most of the people hav'nt even seen the vw badge and keep guessing what brand it is ... vw has an excellent marketing strategy.!!
Old 29th February 2008, 16:06   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
See quite a few of them in Mumbai. Infact there are around 2 in my area plus one in my building itself.
Old 29th February 2008, 17:05   #146
Team-BHP Support

Does the Passat have the same engine as the Audi A4? It's a 2L TDi with pump duesse putting out 140bhp.
Old 29th February 2008, 17:09   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Does the Passat have the same engine as the Audi A4? It's a 2L TDi with pump duesse putting out 140bhp.
very likely since audi, vw and skoda share a few engines.
Old 29th February 2008, 17:12   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Considering what they've been getting away with regularly in Skoda's case, I have to say I'm not surprised. Look at the Laura if you want more proof of this mindset of VW.
VW's thinking is not restricted to Indian customers. Even in the US, they think that whatever they sell, customers should be honoured to buy and pay a premium. The problem is very few people want to pay high or more (than for a Toyonda) for a VW badge on the nose. For a VW badge price, they get a better Toyonda. Who in their right senses would then prefer a more problematic VW. This explains their lack of success in the US over the last 1-2 decades. I had posted an earlier article from Business Week on this VW delusion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks