Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2007, 13:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
How does Skoda do so well in these reliablity survey's while VW and Audi struggle? The Octavia has been ranking in the top 3 in UK while the Golf languishes way behind. This is something I really haven't understood!
Yes. This puzzles me too. Why would one buy a VW if Skoda is more reliable than VW, at much less a price? Has VW brand not lost quite a lot of business due to Skoda? Now, Skoda is trying to distance itself from VW in terms of designs. (Roomster and new Fabia are examples of the same). It is just a matter of time before they become more self reliant. This platform sharing among Audi, VW and Skoda is an interesting case study.
Old 27th June 2007, 14:36   #32
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman77 View Post
Sorry to burst the bubble dude but no plans for the Touareg as yet. The Touaran? Yes. Sometime next year.
volkswagen held a one day press confrence recently in which they announced that they will be assembling both the cars by this year end.
Old 27th June 2007, 14:46   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
How does Skoda do so well in these reliablity survey's while VW and Audi struggle? The Octavia has been ranking in the top 3 in UK while the Golf languishes way behind. This is something I really haven't understood!
My theories

1: Czech labour is more diligent
2: Czech labour is cheaper hence more time and effort can be spent in assembling the cars properly
3: Skoda's have less "sophisticated" content or at least fancy gizmo's come into Skoda's after the teething issues in the VW/Audi's
4: The golfs and Jetts'a in the US came from Mexico hence poor quality
5: In the UK, Skoda's service was better since the dealers are family owned and have a relationship with he customer hence better pre-delivery checks etc.
Old 27th June 2007, 14:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Another reason - Skoda is bought by people whose expectations out of a car are much less than what a VW or BMW buyer wants. Someone who buys a VW or BMW expects a lot more from the brand. This particular Czech brand had very very poor brand equity before being taken over in the post Soviet Block dissolution era.
And whoever said car buyers were a rational lot?
Sudipto
Old 27th June 2007, 15:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Plus, since Skoda is priced cheaper than VW for the same products, the expectations of customers are also lower than what they would be for VW/Audi.
Old 27th June 2007, 15:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

@Sudipto, I have a different take here. If electricals fail, it is bad irrespective of whether it is M800 or F430. The brand value Skoda enjoys might be less when compared to VW, but the fact is that Skoda has less electrical failures as compared to VW. I am assuming we are talking about electrical failures because this was apparently the main reason why VW is way behind Skoda in reliability surveys.
Old 27th June 2007, 16:58   #37
BHPian

I like the looks of the car. Looks very very solid, and ofcourse the VW engineering will be the major plus point.
Old 27th June 2007, 19:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

I don't really know about this electrical failure track record of VW. But I do agree if electricals fail it will be a bad car.
In 2002 I rode in a VW Passat (triptronic) for at least 3000 miles in the US East coast, running up and down I-95 between NYC and DC a few times. There was no electrical or any failure for that matter. I thought this was a brilliant car and felt like a tank. It had already done close to 50k miles and the owner didn't complain about anything.
I know a lot of people in Europe who would rather get killed than be seen in a Skoda. Having said that, I must also add that personally I quite like the Skoda.
As I was saying, car buyers aren't really rational people.
Old 4th September 2007, 22:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

As suspected 24 lakhs is the CBU price. I am guessing the price will come down to around 20 just like the Superb did upon SKDski.

VW Passat to debut on Wed

Ruchika Wadhwa

[ INDIATIMES NEWS NETWORK ]MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 03, 2007 09:53:42 PM
NEW DELHI: After years of delay and deliberations about its Indian entry, Germany's 'peoples' car' brand Volkswagen (VW) is making Indian debut with its latest and popular sedan model Passat on Wednesday.

The much-awaited entry of Volkswagen in India will mark addition of yet another German marque brand in the country. Extremely feature-rich Passat will spell more competition in Toyota Camry, Nissan Teana, Mercedes C Class, BMW 3 series and Audi A4 category.

In addition to a number of high-end features not offered in cars of this segment before, what is likely to make Passat a winner in India is the fact that it will sport a diesel engine.

The German carmaker has decided to mark its official entry in India with a diesel car engine, notwithstanding the cold sweat that auto industry is breaking in to over Delhi High Court's directive to explore a total ban on diesel cars in the capital.

Though Volkswagen Passat is considered as the first official launch from the brand in India, its other two popular cars namely Phaeton and Touareg are already being imported by dealers. Passat is likely to be brought in to India initially as CBU (completely built units) by VW India directly.

We can say the wait for this strikingly luxurious car is finally going to get over on Wednesday when Volkswagen will officially invite the Indian potential buyers to come and take a Passat to their homes. For our guess on price, it is likely to be fall between Rs 21 to 25 lakh bracket.

VW Passat to debut on Wed-New Launches-Indiatimes Wheels
Old 5th September 2007, 00:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Well on my last trip to Automobile Kashyap who are the importers for VW in India, I found out what the prices are going to be for the Passat 2.0 Diesel:

On-Road Delhi: 27 Lakhs (approx.)
on-Road Mumbai: 30 Lakhs (approx.)
Old 5th September 2007, 00:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Who'll buy a Passat for 30 lacs when you can get a C class for that price. Retarded pricing.
Old 5th September 2007, 00:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On-Road Delhi: 27 Lakhs (approx.)
on-Road Mumbai: 30 Lakhs (approx.)
30 Lacs for a VW, i am sure BMW, Mercedes will be happy with that kind of pricing.
Old 5th September 2007, 00:58   #43
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
In addition to a number of high-end features not offered in cars of this segment before, what is likely to make Passat a winner in India is the fact that it will sport a diesel engine.
Strange logic...i didnt think people buying 20l+ cars would care for a diesel engine.
Old 5th September 2007, 02:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Who'll buy a Passat for 30 lacs when you can get a C class for that price. Retarded pricing.
you might be able to get a C class for 30lacs but the passat is bigger and better. you also get more luxury in terms of gadgetry features then the C class. unless you want to pay for the branding of a mercedes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
30 Lacs for a VW, i am sure BMW, Mercedes will be happy with that kind of pricing.
i dont think BMW, Mercedes would be happy as VW would definately affect their sales in a major way. might be a slow starter but a long runner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Strange logic...i didnt think people buying 20l+ cars would care for a diesel engine.
with the ever increaseing petrol prices, it makes more sense getting a diesel car. there are people like me who like to use their money wisely. penny saved is a pound earned in the future . just today i saw the 2007 mercedes S320 cdi. that my friend is a 95lac rupee car and yet in diesel. so you do have buyers in the 20lac+ segment who buy diesel. as long as the product is nice and value for money you dont mind if it is a diesel.
Old 5th September 2007, 02:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

VW is no competition either to Merc or to BMW. Its Audi that is a competitor to that. VW is an economy brand and no Passat doesnt have anything that a C class doesnt have. Infact the C Class has way more gizmos than the Passat.

FYI an entry level Passat sells for 23 grand in the US. An entry level C class sells for 34 grand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks