Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2022, 13:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch: 1,00,000th unit rolls off the assembly line

Tata Motors has achieved a new milestone as the 1,00,000th unit of the Tata Punch rolled off the assembly line at Pune.

Tata Punch: 1,00,000th unit rolls off the assembly line-100000-roll-out-image.jpg

The Tata Punch was launched in October 2021. It claims to be the first sub-compact SUV to reach this milestone in just 10 months. In July 2022, the carmaker recorded the car's highest ever monthly sales of 11,007 units.

The Tata Punch is based on the Agile Light Flexible Advanced (ALFA) Architecture and is the newest member of the brand’s ‘New Forever’ range. The crossover is offered in five trims – Pure, Adventure, Accomplished, Creative and Kaziranga.

The Tata Punch is powered by a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine that puts out 85 BHP and 113 Nm and is mated to either a 5-speed manual gearbox or a 5-speed AMT.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 11th August 2022 at 14:07.
TusharK is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 13:52   #2

Re: Tata Punch: 1,00,000th unit rolls off the assembly line

Its so good to see Tata rolling out blockbusters. All the best to TML for more success.

Hope they don't sit back and relax. They should approach such milestones with the mindset like "This is just the beginning".
KL42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 14:02   #3
BHPian

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

It is always good to see a product on which you have worked achieving 100K production milestone in span of 10 months - Probably fastest 100K production for TML PVBU.

Good memories working on prototype build of Hornbill / ECN meetings / APEX meetings / "Hornbill ke parts kaha hai ?" situations are still very much fresh in my mind.

All the very best to Punch / TML for more & more milestones !
I am damn sure that TML will not just sit & relax - This is just a beginning.

P.S. - Though product is named as Punch, I still call it as Hornbill or X445 only when I see one on roads & I am damn sure that this is an exact situation for team who have worked on it.

Last edited by Sheel : 11th August 2022 at 14:29. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
dhrishikesh is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 14:09   #4
BHPian

Congratulations TML that was very quick, probably the fastest to 100K for a Tata car!

Didnt see the milestone achievement for HARRIER + SAFARI omega arc production line, but why ?
Old 11th August 2022, 14:23   #5
BHPian

Wow!! This is phenomenal feat for TATA, more so with the average engine & gearbox options they’re offering! Pretty sure this feat would have been achieved a little earlier if they were to offer better engine & gearbox options.

Nonetheless, this achievement is well appreciated. Kudos!!

P. S.: TATA, please plonk a Diesel engine with a ‘proper’ auto box; this sweet looking car really needs one.
ashvek3141 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 18:03   #6
BHPian

Happy for Tata but difficult to reconcile to the idea that so many people have accepted its engine, the only weak link in otherwise a fantastic package.
fawad0222 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 18:42   #7
BHPian

That is very quick and job well done, Tata Motors!!! India loves SUV badging. But I hardly have seen the car in the roads in comparison to Nexon.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 23:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
That is very quick and job well done, Tata Motors!!! India loves SUV badging. But I hardly have seen the car in the roads in comparison to Nexon.
Same here in Hyderabad, haven’t seen many Punch(es) on the road here. Wonder which states/cities are getting most of them.

Congrats to Tata on awesome milestone. Happy to see Indian manufacturers like Tata & M&M turning out blockbusters!
sanchari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 23:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
Wonder which states/cities are getting most of them.
My state/city is definitely one of them! I've been seeing quite a lot of ... Punches here on the road. Hard to say that name with a straight face like that. The state in question is Punjab and city I'd rather not say. It's a small city with a below par Tata dealer but people clearly seem to love the car and it's defintely overrepresented given the size of the city. The only new cars I do see here are either Creta or Punch.
RoadMonkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 00:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Happy for Tata but difficult to reconcile to the idea that so many people have accepted its engine, the only weak link in otherwise a fantastic package.
It seems us BHPians/enthusiasts form a relatively small portion of the general car buying public. Elite i20 with that average petrol motor sold like hot cakes, same with the case of several marutis with substandard build quality. Seems like they don't care that the 1.2 revotron is just an average engine. Maybe lessons for any future entrants/companies which have shut shop who might return -- if you want your product to sell well in this day and age, make sure it looks good/atleast decent and stuff in a boatload of features, general car buying public couldn't care less if the engine is a slug or a race horse.

Quote:
Same here in Hyderabad, haven’t seen many Punch(es) on the road here. Wonder which states/cities are getting most of them.
Kerala HAS to be on that list. I'm seeing multiple temp reg Punches whenever I go out to drive. Seems like Keralites have really liked the product as a whole, and I guess because the roads here are either too terrible or narrow single lane ones which are jam packed due to autorickshaw menace, the weakness of the 1.2 doesn't seem to be able to rear it's face too often.
SaiSW is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 01:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Awesome job TATA. Congratulations
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Well people choose it for it strengths probably? Safety & looks are its key driving factors. Engine performance is being judged so minutely mostly by BHPians. It’s generally par for course for most others.

I mean even after knowing Kia/Hyundai’s double standards in terms of build quality for Indian market did it stop public from lapping them up? They are still market leaders for their strengths(features,A.S.S) which the buyers value more than their weakness(safety). So to each his/her own I guess?

Last edited by SoumenD : 12th August 2022 at 02:08.
SoumenD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 03:17   #12
BHPian

I expected this feat this month just as I was calculating the total sales by adding up the average 10k sales since launch, last month. I think this is the most successful product from Tata in the last 5 years.

However, there is a good side and a bad side to this. Good news is that, a lot of safe cars have been sold and the ALFA platform has garnered good sales and hence as an investment it has proved to be successful.

The bad side of it is that people are ready to invest over 10L on a weak 1.2L NA petrol unit just because it looks great and has the SUV form factor. Punch is an example of insanely priced cars in the recent years. I only worry that Tata would be motivated to not make other engine options available in the car and the future cars on ALFA since they have seen it succeed with just the 1.2L NA 3 cylinder engine and that too with an unjust pricing.

I sincerely hope the turbo petrol and diesel engine lotions are available in the punch.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 08:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Punch is a good all round car for those who intend to go from point A to B.

Congratulations to TMPL. Punch EV would add further numbers. However, i assume part of the Punch numbers are from cannibalized sales of Tiago and Altroz. There was a time when Tiago and Altroz's numbers were 8-9k/month even without CNG option.
Old 12th August 2022, 08:44   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big congrats to Tata Punch! It looks fabulous (a huge contributor to the success, I reckon), nice cabin + boot, features, safety & sorted suspension. Cars like this (and the Altroz etc.) show what a roll Tata is on. The company is at the top of its "product game".

@ Tata: To celebrate the 100000, please give the Punch a turbo-petrol and a nice AT / DCT. That'll expand the audience to those who want a better powertrain, but still a compact city-friendly sized car.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 10:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
In Chennai, I was fortunate enough to spot a dozen Tata punch, mostly in adventure and Creative variants, majority being Tropical mist and orcus white, while there were also one or two cars with atomic orange and Tornado vlue color scheme.

1 lakh units in just under 11 months is a good feat, so Kudos to Tata on that.

Agreed that most of the members are not happy about the 1.2 engine, but again this is kind of a transition phase where people care less about outright engine performance and prefer decent ride quality, decent fuel efficiency, hassle free service and maintenance, and also proven safety. But yes , to each of their own with choice of engines or opinion.

If only Tata reworked on manual and AMT transmission units, it would make their budget cars a very compelling package.IMO, the transmission units are the only Achilles heel for an otherwise compelling car like punch.

Wishing Tata more success and power to "Punch" all their way in car market .

Most Viewed