Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 23:34   #46

Re: Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview

Hi

My friend got delivery of the S11 (old version not classic) for approx 18 lakhs ex showroom yesterday. Can someone pls tell me if Mahindra has cut down the features on Classic S11, as it is 3 lakhs cheaper than older version of S11.
Ragsk747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 11:07   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I was honestly expecting the base variant to come in at 9.99 lakhs, creating a good price differential with the ScorpioN. At 11.99, the Scorpio classic makes zero sense over a ScorpioN Z2. The latter is 20 years ahead in terms of a contemporary and safe design, with a lot more creature comforts.

Even the argument that M&M did this to retain customers who are not willing to wait for the ScorpioN is faulty, as the company is going through a huge capacity crunch right now and making a Scorpio Classic makes forgoing that unit of capacity which could have been used to make a highly profitable ScorpioN Z8L. The strategy truly beats me, unless it is a hedge put in place with an intention to deliver very few units, but have an offering in h 12 lakhs space while the base variants of the ScorpioN and XUV700 are quickly stepped up to the 15 lakh+ mark in the coming months.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st August 2022 at 05:20. Reason: Typo
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 11:37   #48

Scorpio classic seems overpriced . 12 lacs for base which is barebones is simply very high, it would have made sense to price it at 9.99 lacs.

A mid variant should also have been launched considering the huge price gap of 3.5 lacs between base and s11.

With the production lines booked to the capacity the classic will see limited number is my presumption, leading to almost zero discounts.
trailblazer13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 14:25   #49
BHPian

I think the Scorpio Classic was launched based "make hay while the sun shines" philosophy.

Mahindra themselves might know that they are limited by their production capacity and that waiting times for the newer models will extend into "Years".

The Scorpio will act as a saving grace, by allowing impatient / urgent customers to get their hands on something and not leave a Mahindra dealership empty handed and look for vehicles elsewhere.

It's a win-win for Mahindra. The old tooling and supply chain for Scorpio will keep supporting their dealers and their bottomline, while the production for newer models get up to speed and become capable of meeting demand.

That said, why is Mahindra not investing in a new plant. Or is their something already in the works..

Last edited by ZenMaster : 20th August 2022 at 14:27.
ZenMaster is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 16:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
That said, why is Mahindra not investing in a new plant. Or is their something already in the works..
Mahindra is looking at the old GM plant in Talegaon as per the latest news. They already have a plant in Chakan but I think thats more for CVs.
Old 20th August 2022, 19:28   #51
BHPian

I am personally disappointed with the price tag and was expecting an introductory price of 10lakhs for the base S trim and a max of 12.5 lakhs for the top S11 trim. No point in going for the classic when one could get themselve a much more modern Scorpio N which feels league better inside and out.
Phantom 510 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 21:54   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
Mahindra announces introductory price for the Scorpio Classic Starts ₹ 11.99 lakh.

Available in two variants – Classic S and Classic S11, in five attractive colour options.

Classic S variant is available at an ₹ 11.99 lakh, & Classic S11 at ₹ 15.49 lakh (ex-showroom)
looks like mahindra hasn't got the pricing right. the S11 variant seems expensive and IMHO the lower variants of the scorpio N would make more sense since they are much safer and newer
atif_46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 13:57   #53
BHPian

It makes me happy to see that the legend lives on in its more familiar guise; however as someone that's drooled after the Scorpio since I was literally 8, the Scorpio Classic feels almost a cheap trick to rake in sales numbers to me. They went into the Mahindra Parts bin and used standardised equipment through their range to bring the Scorpio up to mark. What they did not do however is fix the Scorpio's greatest failing, the unstable body-shell and poor crash-safety rating. Even the faux-wood and beige interior seem like a Karol Bagh hack-job. What's the point of a bigger screen if it's not brought to eye-level and the ergonomics are fixed.

For a brand that honestly is the paragon of Indian Automotive prowess, why cut corners, Mahindra?
Old 21st August 2022, 14:40   #54
BHPian

Initially, I was going to say that this pricing looks like a huge misstep, as it makes the Classic look overpriced compared to what is available in the market. But then while I was looking at the car prices to verify this, I found something. There is no other diesel SUV you can book right now that has 7 seats and has a tough BOF construction, at this price. There is the ScorpioN for which bookings are closed, and that's it.

So, if you need a 7-seater diesel vehicle that can handle bad roads reliably, which can be fixed relatively cheaply, then what other option do you have? Is there any option that I've overlooked?
Old 22nd August 2022, 20:00   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by atif_46 View Post
looks like mahindra hasn't got the pricing right. the S11 variant seems expensive and IMHO the lower variants of the scorpio N would make more sense since they are much safer and newer
Absolutely. I was hoping that they'd price it much lower and that maybe I could go for it to replace my i20 that's about to clock 1L Kms soon. The On road price for the S11 works out to 19.3L in Bangalore while the Z6 Scorpio N (2WD + Manual) works out to approximately 19L. Its a no brainer, you'll even get lower variants of the XUV700 at this price point. Thanks, but, no thanks Mahindra! I doubt you'll get people wanting to buy the S11 at this price point
Old 22nd August 2022, 21:33   #56
BHPian

This product is a good send-off to a great brand thats stepping into the next phase & generation.

Due to lack of alternatives in the market even at this premium price, the bookings are going to keep piling on. Mahindras' foremost priority should be to find a factory to build all these cars.

Second should be to add Service Stations, ignore that and their service network may get over-burdened. This is the time to build stations - which would increase their leverage & control among existing ones.

Also time to let some big foreign investors know about these products & bookings. A product that has its market carved out for the next decade should appeal to a fair number of institutional investors.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 22nd August 2022 at 21:50.
Old 6th September 2022, 14:51   #57
BHPian

AutocarIndia review

Quote:
Engine, gearbox and performance
Visual changes apart, where the Scorpio has vastly improved, is the performance and cabin refinement thanks to a new second generation 2.2-litre mHawk diesel engine. The all-aluminum 130hp motor is 55kg lighter than the previous engine and more efficient too. However, what you notice immediately, is how silent and vibe-free it is. That said, once you set off, the sharp throttle response requires some getting used to. Even in third gear, the car feels eager and excited as you press on the accelerator. However, compared to the older engine, which had 10hp more, the Classic is slower in a 0-100kph dash. Where the older car boasted of a rather respectable time of 11.8secs, the Classic clocks in at a rather leisurely 13secs. It is evident in the power delivery, which is a lot more linear and the surge in acceleration is gradual. Mahindra claims 77 percent of the 300Nm torque is available right from 1,000rpm, which is why you never struggle to get going. Overtakes are brisk and the engine is relatively less noisy at high rpms.

The Classic is available with only a 6-speed manual gearbox that is now cable-operated, which results in less vibrations and better refinement. What is also impressive is the gearing. Compared to the older, faster Scorpio, the Classic is only marginally slower at 20-80kph (9.48secs) and 40-100kph (12.82secs) times. The throws are shorter too, and it is quite light to shift as well. The clutch too is light, and has a good amount of consistency.

Ride comfort and handling
Mahindra has also retuned the suspension to account for the change in weight, and while it does make light work of a bad patch of road, it still is a bit busy on a flat surface with cracks and potholes. You tend to bounce around in the cabin, and there is a good amount of side-to-side movement as well.

The stiff suspension is to counter the top-heavy feel in corners, but despite that, the Classic leans a fair bit, courtesy the tall height and narrow wheel track (distance between the centreline of the wheels). That said, when the road gets tough, it sure has an air of indestructibility thanks to the good ol’ body-on-frame chassis. The steering effort, especially at low speeds has reduced, but it isn't all that noticeable and you wouldn't get the smooth effortless feel like on other more modern SUVs.

TopGearIndia review

Quote:
Feels new yet classic to drive
The Scorpio classic now gets a better engine, relatively light steering, an improved suspension setup and NVH levels. Packing the powerhouse is an all-aluminum construction 4 cylinders 16 valves, 2.2-litre m-hawk diesel CRDI engine churning out 130hp and 300 nm of torque. The other significant change comes in the form of a better suspension setup. The front end gets a double wishbone suspension with coil spring, and the rear gets a multilink suspension with coil spring. Unfortunately, this rear-wheel drive still misses out on rear disc brakes. The Scorpio classic misses out on automatic transmission and gets a 6-speed manual cable shift.

The clutch pedal travel is still as tall as the car’s silhouette. Gear shifts are smoother than ever, while the overall characteristic of the Scorpio as a large vehicle has polished with this iteration. It drives enthusiastically with the 2.2 m-Hawk engine. The first couple of gears is short, while the 5th and 6th gears are best suited for highway drives, refining the overall feel even at triple-digit speeds. Especially in the 6th gear, this car suddenly calms down to bring refinement and impressive NVH capabilities. There’s enough grunt to creep around in 2nd gear through city traffic, while the torque curve is healthy for most driving scenarios. The new suspension setup has done wonders for the Scorpio classic. You are commanding the road upfront with a tall stance, but the new suspension setup controls body roll to quite an extent while maintaining excellent body control. The light steering makes maneuvering this car in the city and highways much easier than Scorpios of the past.
To me both reviews are little contradictory when it comes to reporting on suspension, ride quality and clutch operation. Also, the instantaneous power delivery of earlier engine iteration seems to have been sobered down, though torque spread has been widened and improved. This ain't winning any drag races conducted by many Youtubers from Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida belt.

@Mods, is Mahindra providing Team-Bhp with Scorpio Classic for drive review anytime soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by varunswnt : 6th September 2022 at 14:56.
Old 6th September 2022, 16:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

The clutch pedal travel is still as tall as the car’s silhouette.

What's with Mahindra and this clutch pedal travel setup! This is exact same issue even in my Marazzo and on my first trip in week1 of ownership, on an incline, where I had to park for an emergency, the car rolled forward as I slotted in the reverse and hit the gate! Its just such a long clutch travel to firmly engage that it's a pain!
Old 8th September 2022, 20:06   #59
BHPian

Well, I have 2012 Scorpio LX 4WD, considering the Scorpio Classic & Scorpio N prices it seems my Scorp is still most VFM, so dropping plans for upgrade and will keep my Scorpio till the end.

However, i am curious to know if i can port some of the features of the classic to my Scorpio, starting with the cable shift gear. Can this be a direct fit considering mine is 5 speed and classic is 6 speed now.
Also, have many YouTube videos about old to new conversion cosmetically external and interiors with the Engine & other mechanicals still the same. What's the reality of such upgrades? and are they reliable in the long run?
Old 19th September 2022, 14:18   #60
BHPian

Well - I have done it again! Last week, Mahindra rather magnanimously informed me that my Scorpio N would be delivered to me during the month of September 2024. Yes you read that right - 2024. Even for a die hard Scorpio / Mahindra fan this was a wee bit too much to digest. I started considering other options . A test drive of the Tata Safari/ Harrier followed. Despite the fact that the vehicle is quite a looker and the automatic was quite smooth to drive , I felt like something was missing. Kia Seltos was next . Man! is that vehicle loaded or what. It had all the gizmos that I was aware of and quite a few I was not. Yet that oomph factor was missing.

Then, the faithful customer that I am , I returned to test drive the Scorpio Classic and somehow it all fell in place. Yes! the vehicle looks dated, Yes! I did not feel like driving a new car, as this will be my 3rd Scorpio ( 2005,2010). Actually this should have been my fourth, but in 2015 under duress ( my daughter threatened never to get into my car if I brought a Scorpio again) I purchased a TUV 300. Yes! this vehicle is missing some gizmos which I enjoyed in my last Scorpio a decade ago ( rain sensing wipers , auto headlights) Despite all this, I felt like I was returning home. The air of familiarity, The body roll ( albeit quite reduced now), The gear lever which no longer dances, a surprisingly quieter diesel engine and of course, that tall imposing driving position where you virtually look down upon all the hatch backs and the other imposters (read as compact/midsize SUV's) all convinced me that despite the fact that I would probably be the butt of all jokes in in my friends and family circle, this was what I wanted to drive.

I am aware that rationally I may not be able to justify this selection, but somehow for me this is a vehicle which ticks all the boxes. I did consider buying the base version 'S" and loading it with all the accessories to my taste and still save some money, However, on closer inspection, the list of things to add on to the base version seemed to be getting longer and longer. I then decided to book the S11 . I may need to change the head unit to something more decent, add a front and rear camera and a TPMS and then I should be sorted for the next five years or so . Fingers crossed.
Ganapathy is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks