Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2022, 12:36   #61

Re: Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview

Hi All,
I too booked ScorpioN during the "GREAT" Fastest Finger First Contest on 30th Jul @ 11 am to avail Introductory price & like all, my booking could not go through at that moment but eventually was called by CC a couple of days confirming that I will be offered Introductory price. Extremely Happy & Excited without knowing that getting Introductory Pricing does not qualify for early delivery. Even being in first 25K bookings, my delivery is slated for April'22. Well my booked variant is Z8/Automatic/Deep Forest.

With my current vehicle sold as it was asking for some major engine overhaul (Ecosport/TDCI/Titanium/1,75,000 KM) and driving on my wife's borrowed Hyundai NIOS, I realized that I could not wait for so long. Many options were shortlisted & TD taken. One such TD was for Scorpio Classic & we (me & my wife) immediately fell in love for all the charm it had over the years on both of us. Once driven, we also felt that "N" was too big a car for us & "Classic" was exactly the vehicle which served the purpose for us. Irrespective of Safety & FAB "N" had to offer over "Classic", booked the vehicle with assurance from Mahindra Dealer that it should be delivered in a months time.

Today is 6th week running with no trace of my vehicle. Dealership says that vehicle are in short supply & I surely will get my variant this year....
BONDAY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 07:55   #62
BHPian

I have driven my Scorpio Classic for the last 8 weeks and done about 4000 kms. Overall the experience has been just satisfactory. Some of the issues have been as follows:

1. The head unit is virtually featureless. Even if you fix a reverse camera the screen resolution leaves much to be desired.
2. The usual problem of virtually no space at the side, renders most of the cup holder and storage space on the inside of the doors useless. Also slotting in the ignition key with the driver door closed is an herculean task.
3. There is an abrasive noise while slotting in the gears and despite complaining several times, the Mahindra technical people have no solution to this, apart from stating that this noise is there in all Scorpio classic cars even in new ones.
4. The wiper speeds are impractical . The lowest speed is itself too fast.
5. The antennae at the top of the car sticks out like a sore thumb at a crazy angle.
6. The handle to open the doors are so flimsy that you are scared they will break at any moment.

Overall cost cutting is visible and badly executed. Not very happy with my my purchase decision despite being a die hard Mahindra Scorpio fan
Ganapathy is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:14   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONDAY View Post
Today is 6th week running with no trace of my vehicle. Dealership says that vehicle are in short supply & I surely will get my variant this year....
@BONDAY, did you get your Scorpio Classic home?
Old 7th January 2023, 22:46   #64

I had a black Scorpio sle 2012 for 9 years. Sold it with a heavy heart as it was NCR registration and 10 year diesel ban is there. I booked a Scorpio N on launch day but got a delivery date of 1 year away, so cancelled it and booked black Scorpio Classic base model in Oct 21. Got the delivery in Dec end. Classic S has lesser features than my previous SLE, but I am still happy with it. Done 200 kms till now in it and engine is super refined and powerful. Gears are a little stiff right now while changing. Hopefully will become better with use. Spent a lot on accessories - spoiler, alloys, touch screen music system, side step, remote lock and rear guard. Have ordered seat covers from m2all, yet to come. Was able to find a person in Pune to install proper arm rests for driver, co-driver seats. Very happy with my purchase.
Scorpio22 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 18:38   #65
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra for Indian Army

Quote:
We're proud to announce the order for 1470 units of the Scorpio Classic for 12 units of the Indian Army across the nation. We thank the Indian Army for their trust in us.
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-20230110_183735.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 10:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio Classic 4WD for Indian Army spied ahead of dispatch.

Name:  20230115_100143.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  126.9 KB

Name:  20230115_100145.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  126.8 KB

Name:  20230115_100148.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  20230115_100150.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  89.3 KB

Source : Rushlane
Venkatesh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 11:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Scorpio Classic..
It resembles the previous version of Scorpio and not Classic. Old grill, Old logo.

Interesting that they could customise it by including a 4WD.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 15th January 2023 at 11:56.
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 17:49   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I find it bit weird that the chrome bits are not blacked out
Black_Star is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 19:07   #69
BHPian

I would like to guess that M&M used the now defunct Mahindra oval logo in the grills and at the back and cleared their inventory this way.
Hemi6.2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 22:03   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Source : Rushlane
No convoy lights, no blacked out chrome bits, bright rear lights, normal alloys means that this is not going to the Army any sooner or may not be going at all. These may be old units that's were to be given to Army for trials.

The best fit for Armed Forces' requirements now is the Jimny which may need few tweaks but should be a perfect fit as a Gypsy replacement.
BoneCollector is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 00:37   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
No convoy lights, no blacked out chrome bits, bright rear lights, normal alloys means that this is not going to the Army any sooner or may not be going at all. These may be old units that's were to be given to Army for trials.
This piqued my curiosity too. The ‘Army Green’ shade is unlikely to be handed over to any other org.

At first, I thought the missing bits you highlight indicate that, these cars are not headed to the forward locations. There are plenty of Army Cantonment locations around metros/cities too, where these will do just fine. But then, such locations don’t need a 4WD either.

So, this is indeed a curious case of the Classics .. and where are they headed?
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 03:33   #72
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The best fit for Armed Forces' requirements now is the Jimny which may need few tweaks but should be a perfect fit as a Gypsy replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Interesting that they could customise it by including a 4WD.
Quote:

[e

Here’s some 4 bits of tid-bits of information from my memory because I keenly follow these topics and am a bit of an odd-fellow since I have a memory pocket for trivia in my head.

1. Most definitely the Indian Army should consider the Jimny for general use in their forward locations. Its narrow footprint, light weight and maneuvrability will help. Thing is for fast deployment of personnel, materials and weaponry etc, the soft top with open rear with bench seats is a big help. This is why the Army absolutely loved/ loves the diminutive little Gypsy.
2. There has always been a Scorpio 4x4. From Day 1 of launch. It always came with a little pintle hook at the rear. Therefore there is no ‘customisation’ in that sense, required from Mahindra in this variant given to the Army. What is now called the Scorpio Classic has gone through several stages of evolution right from 2001. The 4x4 2.6 litre diesel engine chain drive turbo was one variant, then 2.6 crde 4x4, and 2.2 mhawk 4x4 etc. All came with shift on the fly borg warner electric 4WD with 4H and 4L, actuated by a switch on the centre console behind the gear lever. The same setup is in the Scorpio Getaway too in its 4x4 avatars. The Scorpio is sold as the Mahindra Goa in Europe and has 4x4 as standard. The getaway is called by different names and is sold in many places South Africa, Australia, South America and all and it gets the same 4x4 as standard.
To draw reference to the various other threads where there are fiery raging on-going debates on the ‘purity’ or otherwise, of the 2WD RWD new Thar and all, while 4x4 variants were always there across these Mahindra vehicles of the 2000’s - such as Bolero GLX and Scorpio DX, VLe, VLs and VLx and S8-S10 etc for a brief period, most of the consumers simply opted for the 4x2 because of their simpler need as a people mover on rough roads and the fact that the 4x4 variants only came on the higher, near-top-or actual-top-Spec vehicles in India and thus were about Rs 1-1.5 lacs more expensive.
3. I think the Scorpio Classic is a good choice by the Army because these vehicles, more than anything will be used for duties similar to what the present Tata Safari Storme’s that they have, are being used for. Largely to ferry officers about and as staff vehicles in the non-frontline and/ or cantonment areas. However, I also think a base requirement for the Army is always as far as possible that as many of their four wheeled vehicles as possible should have working 4x4 because they just might need to be mobilised into areas which require traversing tough terrain. Ambulance duty, Search and rescue missions, fast personnel and material and weaponry deployment in troubled areas, bridge building, riot control, natural disasters in any sort of terrain and so on. So just like the Storme, the Scorpio also has similar merits.
4. Yes I too wonder about the non-blacking-put of chrome or the lack of actual de-chroming and the lack of pilot lamps etc. Also, the 4WD sign as shown in the pictures, is different from the ones that Mahindra originally used.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th January 2023 at 03:37.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 07:10   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

So, this is indeed a curious case of the Classics .. and where are they headed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Also, the 4WD sign as shown in the pictures, is different from the ones that Mahindra originally used.
Since Mahindra Scorpio did not qualify for the GS800 requirements of the Indian Army, this is unlikely for their use. Only possibility I can think of is that these are for export to some other country to be used in their Armed Forces.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 10:26   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra for Indian Army

Attachment 2402859

Link
No they are not, check this @BoneCollector.

I think these will go to the units deployed in and around LAC. Because Indian Army and ITBP always needed a tough and reliable 4x4 there. Chinese army long time back used Mitsubishi Pajero and back then our Maruti Gypsy or Diesel-powered Jeeps were no match to them. ITBP had to shell out big amount to get Fortuners and Endeavours to match them then. But now Scorpio being more evolved and well-rounded I feel these could also find a place there.

On a side note even UP Police has decided to replace their old fleet of Innova with new Scorpio Classic. Reason stated was low purchase price along with cheap running and service cost.
AROO7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 13:24   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

As per this report of Autocar, these are indeed for the Army. Surprising as they lack a few things as mentioned earlier.

Link

Quote:
Mahindra has received an order to deliver 1,470 units of the Scorpio to the Indian Army. While an official tweet from Mahindra mentions that it has received orders for the Scorpio Classic, which is the updated version of the SUV, the actual vehicles seen here seem to be previous-gen Scorpios. It is evident from the looks, older design for the alloy wheels, and absence of Mahindra’s new ‘Twin Peaks’ logo. Unlike the Classic, which is available only as a RWD, the army spec model gets 4WD tech and a tow hitch.
I'm still not convinced. Maybe the necessary fitments will be carried out at the MT of the concerned units.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 16th January 2023 at 13:27.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks