Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 00:39   #166
BHPian

re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

I am really confused with all of the discussion here.

Toyota India has clarified that INNOVA CRYSTA diesel booking are only temporarily closed for backlog of booking and they will be reopened from January 23 once certain backlogs are cleared. Yes, price already skyrocketed to 32L onroad 2.4D AT HYD may go unto 38-42L when reopened in Jan 23. But who cares?
Fortuner that was 45L for top end 4X4 a year ago is now 65L. But booking are swelling.

So keep booking and keep waiting for price hikes. For TOYOTA you guys are scape goats. As usual.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th September 2022 at 11:35. Reason: india = India. Please capitalise where required & proof-read your post. Thanks.
Old 6th September 2022, 01:12   #167
BHPian

re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

The current Toyota Diesel fiasco highlights that Indian manufacturers may have cut corners while testing the BS6 compliant Diesel engines in a hurry to meet the target deadline of 2020 and are now struggling with product issues.

It also highlights that emissions norms should be introduced in a step by step manner and knee jerk Policy should be avoided by Policy makers.
Old 6th September 2022, 10:17   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAvgJoe View Post
If the petrol Innova proves to be a sales dud (which by all accounts it seems to be), they will either shoehorn a diesel into the Hycross or continue the diesel Innova (while updating the engines to meet BS-VI.2 emission norms).
It seems to me that their global policy is to stop making diesel monocoque cars, especially with the TNGA which is a petrol-only platform (plus hybrid and PHEV). Their last diesel monocoque cars was the Etios and Corolla which was axed in 2020, while others like the RAV4 diesel etc was phased out since 2019. That doesn't seem to be a global policy that can be reversed due to the global trend which saw people switching from diesel to petrol hybrid.
Astargea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 11:51   #169
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Innova Crysta Diesel back in 2023

Toyota dealerships across India stopped taking bookings for the Innova Crysta Diesel last month. Toyota also confirmed that it was a temporary halt due to high demand.

Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023-sectionimg2.jpg

We’ve now been told that the diesel variants will be available from January 2023 onwards. It is said that the Toyota factory is undergoing line modification, possibly for its upcoming mid-size SUV, the Urban Cruiser Hyryder.

The Innova Crysta will continue to use the same 2.4-litre diesel engine, producing 148 BHP and 360 Nm when it’s re-introduced next year. In the meantime, sales of the petrol variants remain unaffected.

Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023-performancebanner-1.jpg

Toyota has also lined up the Innova HyCross for the Indian market. It will be offered with a strong-hybrid powertrain and is expected to replace the petrol version.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
TusharK is online now   (40) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 12:39   #170
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta Diesel back in 2023

It just has to come back . The diesel accounts for an overwhelming majority of Innova sales. Even as an enthusiast, for heavy body-on-frame MUVs / SUVs, I prefer diesel only for the tank range & FE. My heart sank looking at how the fuel needle was dropping when I drove the Fortuner / Innova Petrol ATs.

The Innova Crysta has a big engine & is premium priced. That gives Toyota a lot of leeway to meet emission norms using Adblue / SCR tech. Cheaper cars with smaller engines don't have that luxury.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 16:13   #171
Senior - BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5385687

I had reported this in the other Innova thread over a week back. so my source was spot on!
himanshugoswami is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 21:12   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It just has to come back . The diesel accounts for an overwhelming majority of Innova sales. Even as an enthusiast, for heavy body-on-frame MUVs / SUVs, I prefer diesel only for the tank range & FE. My heart sank looking at how the fuel needle was dropping when I drove the Fortuner / Innova Petrol ATs.

The Innova Crysta has a big engine & is premium priced. That gives Toyota a lot of leeway to meet emission norms using Adblue / SCR tech. Cheaper cars with smaller engines don't have that luxury.
Agree. It appears like a trick to clear all their petrol stock to make room for hybrid Innova. Diesel will anyway be back for fleet operators
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 21:46   #173
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Innova is arguably the best people mover in India, trying to replace it with a Petrol Hybrid isn't going to work. These hybrids are at their best in the city and will not work out on the highways where they'll loose out on economy and performance. Highway will need a strong diesel with that slug of torque and mid range punch. I think it's really worth it to keep improving the diesel or try to find a feasible/cost effective twin turbo 1.5 or 2 litre diesel in order to keep the Innova alive.
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 21:52   #174
BHPian

Based on recent news that their diesel engines have failed emission tests, my sense is that they should work on improvements and retest in 6 months. If retest passes, then the sale should resume, but if it doesn't then no reason.

Since the news appeared, and then disappeared, so that's my interpretation.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 22:12   #175
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I bet it's coming back with a mouth watering ex-showroom price of 80L for the MT GX.
I guess it's the best time to look for 2.8s in the wild.
vredesbyrd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 22:18   #176
BHPian

So they have sufficient stocks of petrol Innovas to keep selling ?
If not, how different the assembly line would be for diesel and petrol models ?

The petrol could be a hybrid in addition to diesel Innova in that case.
PreludeSH is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 06:42   #177
BHPian

Toyota also needs to work with Google to do something about the tell tale signs of the news about Toyota's emission test failure still seen on the search engine.

I don't know if they were rumours or truth, the damage control has been done, but the elephant's tail still needs to be moved out of sight as well. The published reports had said that all 32 samples had failed emission tests. Clearly, a reminder to the common folks, about the possible bonhomie between the media and the manufacturers.

I sense, that the outcome would have been different if such news was published in Europe, Japan, Singapore or similar regions.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023-screenshot_20220907225003_chrome.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 8th September 2022 at 10:10. Reason: As requested.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 10:05   #178
BHPian

Re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

Hi All. I was speaking to my dealer about the Crysta for our office. He informed me that Toyota has stopped selling diesel Crysta to balance the petrol vs diesel norms. This will end in March 2023. They will start deliveries in April 23 again. At the same time, they are looking to liquidate the inventory of the petrol Crysta.

The Innova Hycross is expected to be launched in Jan 2023. With the hybrid vehicle Toyota hopes that they can balance the petrol vs diesel sales. The Hycross will be priced lower than the Diesel and offer same fuel efficiency as the diesel. This may push people to choose the Hybrid (mainly private consumers) as the maintenance of petrol engines are much lower, they are silent and with Hybrid will be a good driving experience.
Palio_2005 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 10:54   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAvgJoe View Post
to gauge the market for a Petrol powered MPV. If the Innova continues to sell, the replacement might not get a diesel at all or at the very least, the Innova might just be fully discontinued.
If the petrol Innova proves to be a sales dud (which by all accounts it seems to be), they will either shoehorn a diesel into the Hycross or continue the diesel Innova (while updating the engines to meet BS-VI.2 emission norms).
They cannot be gauging the market for a petrol MPV this way!!! The Innova 2.7 petrol is an old school engine that guzzles fuel in city conditions, while the Hycross in both the ICE and hybrid variants will be far more efficient.

No way they are going to shoehorn a diesel into the Hycross. Toyota is done with diesels in monocoque vehicles. The GD and F33A engines for the BoF vehicles will be the only diesels Toyota will make from now.

IMO, this just seems to be stock clearance of whatever petrol engines they have imported. After the Hycross is launched, they will gradually stop the Innova petrol sales and continue with the diesel one. Toyota will in effect direct those customers seeking refinement or from NCR to the Hycross instead.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 12:18   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

The reason Toyota is clearing stock of the 2.7L Petrol Motor is the new 2.0L Petrol Motor (Not the Hybrid, that’s a separate 2.0L) that will be seen in the Innova HyCross and has been put into limited production at their new engine line alongside the hybrid.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed