Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2022, 11:30   #16
BHPian

re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

Looking at this now am getting worried should I even consider a diesel for my next car . Slowly manufactures are phasing out Diesel engines .Since most big SUVs are priced above 28-30 lakhs , the constant fear of diesel getting banned one fine day and being left with a super fast depreciating car is really concerning .
ChetanM6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 11:53   #17
BHPian

re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
being left with a super fast depreciating car .
On the other hand, one will have a limited edition fuel efficient and a very torquey engine which is really fun to drive!
'pre-worshipped diesel' will get a better premium 10 year ban notwithstanding.
Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 12:11   #18

Today I interacted with sales head of my nearest Toyota dealership regarding the new booking I'm planning to make for Toyota Innova Crysta Diesel. Same dealership till last month was not even entertaining the discussion on Petrol variant citing it will be made-to-order booking for petrol. But today this sales head asked me to consider Petrol variant. He didn't clearly acknowledge if Toyota has asked to stopped the booking for Diesel variants but he said there are chances that slowly Diesel models will be phased out from market due to 10 year ban and shift towards Hybrid and electric cars.

Now I'm in dilemma esp. due to sudden shift from the dealership towards encouraging customers to opt for Petrol variants.

Could someone please suggest how is the performance of Petrol Innova, NVH levels in comparison to diesels, any significant difference in ride & handling, what is the expected FE in Petrol.
Old 14th August 2022, 12:15   #19

I think Toyota is working on a strong petrol hybrid since they already have the technology at their disposal. Let's wait and seee
Old 14th August 2022, 12:38   #20
BHPian

I had visited Lakozy Toyota here in Mumbai yesterday to test drive the Fortuner. The SA told me the same thing that they have stopped taking fresh booking for Innova diesel and only fulfilling the outstanding bookings. Regarding diesel Fortuner, they are taking bookings with delivery in 2-3 months. When asked about the engine for the Innova, he said it will be strong Hybrid but didnt know which petrol engine it would come with.
Old 14th August 2022, 13:02   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by san.gaurav View Post

Now I'm in dilemma esp. due to sudden shift from the dealership towards encouraging customers to opt for Petrol variants.

Could someone please suggest how is the performance of Petrol Innova, NVH levels in comparison to diesels, any significant difference in ride & handling, what is the expected FE in Petrol.
check these:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...7l-petrol.html (Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5275853 (Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5104354 (Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ol-review.html (Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5326275 (Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT)

to answer your questions:

Performance - The petrol engine in the Innova is a very peppy engine. It has got 167BHP which is more than the diesel and enough to pull a heavy RWD car like the Innova.

NVH - Super super super refined motor, you can barely hear it at idle and when revved, sounds very sweet.

No significant difference in ride and handling.

FE - Sorry to say, but a petrol engine + big car is not a good combination if you want good FE. You occasionally could get double digit fuel economy in the city if you choose the manual but should you choose the auto, you'd be lucky to get an FE of 10.
But again, FE depends on a person's driving style and road conditions.
Roadster101 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 13:05   #22
BHPian

Any particular reason behind this? Is it being done to push the sales of upcoming UC HyRyder or is it because of the 10-year old Diesel ban?
From their recent launches, India and abroad, I have a strong feeling that they're going to go all-in and shift towards hybrid vehicles, and probably EVs in the future.
Old 14th August 2022, 13:50   #23
BHPian

Diesels are a waste of energy for most manufacturers barring a couple here and there. Diesel has always had an image of being a dirty fuel globally. Especially Japanese OEMs have always looked down at diesels and Toyota is no different. In fact as most global manufacturers have announced plans to turn to EVs fully after 2030, even pure gasoline engines will become history soon.
Carma2017 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 14:16   #24
BHPian

A little confused with multiple reference to '10 year diesel ban' here. Is there a ban or proposal for such a ban anywhere in the country except NCR?

Though it is a Delhi / NCR specific regulation, which is not representative of the rest of the country.

Why should a 10 year ban in NCR prevent manufacturers from bringing out diesel models? What % of diesel models were sold in NCR Vs rest of India?

Is the NCR ban a prelude to a nationwide ban?
Is a country-wide ban like that justified scientifically?

I agree that diesel is not environmentally friendly. But the entire commercial fleet runs on diesel. How is it possible to completely ban diesel in the near future?

Passenger cars will be 'forced' to move to EV or Strong hybrid in the coming years. There will be disincentives on ICE, for sure. But an outright / complete ban looks unlikely.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th August 2022 at 18:10. Reason: Typos
sparameswaran is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 14:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Could this move be linked to the probable tweaks to CAFE norms? With a portfolio like Toyota's (large and diesel centric), the push towards a cleaner alternatives could come from a necessity.
This since Toyota's core customers evidently haven't been demanding anything else but diesel

One can possibly expect used diesel Innovas to appreciate next!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 14:34   #26
BHPian

Having driven both the petrol Crysta as well as the petrol Fortuner, I can say that the current petrol models of both the cars are not really a match for their diesel counterparts. Other manufacturers will take advantage of this unless they speed up the strong hybrid launch, because I am 100% sure people who are determined to book the diesel Fortuner or Crysta will not even consider the NA petrol variants no matter the discounts (if any) on offer. Only a strong hybrid which can give matching or superior city/highway FE to the diesel, can even half-convince potential diesel buyers.
SaiSW is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 15:00   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I can only hope the performance of the petrol hybrid is upto the Camry level for the Innova HyCross and not like the lacklustre nature of the Urban Cruiser Hyryder.

If the performance is lacklustre then there is no reason to buy the Innova any longer. Great low-end pulling power and ample reserve torque and power was what made the Innova sell in the first place.

With the Innova HyCross this can very well be thrown out of the window! And unfortunately after reading about the HyRyder’s poor performance from it’s strong hybrid I expect the Innova HyCross to do similarly… Toyota is going to tune the strong Hybrid engine for fuel efficiency.

Sad days indeed for diesel-heads.

EDIT: One of the Dealership Owner told that the bookings of the Crysta Diesel have been stopped temporarily and will restart from Jan 2023. At the same time Innova HyCross will be unveiled during the upcoming festive season and launch will take place in Jan 2023.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 14th August 2022 at 15:17.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 15:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subrasri View Post
Hi All - Had been to Lanson Toyota Koyambedu Chennai showroom today morn to enquire on the Innova Crysta 2.4 ZX variant, was looking to book in a few days. Was surprised to note that they have stopped taking booking for Innova Crysta diesel variants going forward. It came as a big shock to me as I didn’t read anywhere about them stopping the diesel variant. The SA is pushing to look at petrol variant which am not interested and also considering there’s a hybrid variant to be launched later this year. Anyone else have heard about this or aware of this news? Was a big disappointment as I was very much interested to go with the Innova Crysta ZX 2.4.. :(

This is strange news. Someone in my family just booked an Innova on the 12th, it was a diesel Automatic. He was promised delivery in 2 weeks. The booking was done at Mangalore. He has heard nothing about any unavailability of the Innova. I’m not sure if the 12th of August 2022 was the cut off date for booking it.

It also seems strange to me that they would discontinue a model, they only recently (relatively speaking) facelifted. I personally think that discontinuing the diesel option on the Innova would be a sales disaster (the quote ‘snatching defeat from the jaws of victory’ springs to mind ). I was speaking to the dealer here, who told me that nearly every Innova sold, even to private buyers was the diesel.

No doubt the Hycross will be a good car, Toyota rarely makes bad cars. However, having a ‘Good Car’ is no guarantee of sales success. The market wants what the market wants! And what it wants is a diesel MPV.
I read someplace the the Hycross would be cheaper than the current Innova while keeping its dimensions. This I think, is a a fools dream, as every hybrid ever launched, the world over, has been more expensive than its fossil fueled cousin (I’m not talking about prices after tax breaks/incentives).
AnAvgJoe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 15:43   #29
BHPian

These strong hybrid engines run on pure petrol after 80Kmph if I am not wrong, so touring will become very expensive in the new Innova. But isn't it exactly why it is bought in the first place?

I think they saw the Tuscon price of almost 45 lakhs on road and decided to beat it, not in features but in price. This new Innova top end might touch 45 lakhs on road.

Unbelievable considering I bought my ZX last year for 31 lakhs on road Hyderabad which included absurd insurance and blackmail accessories worth more than 1.5 lakhs.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 15:59   #30
BANNED

Is there a list of current Diesel cars sold in India on Team BHP somewhere? A list that's kept uptodate...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks