Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2022, 16:54   #31
BHPian

re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

If this news is true, just imagine the effect this news has on the re-sale values of Diesel Innovas.
Aiel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 17:02   #32

re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

To me this could be a future ready strategy, perhaps they predict that government may increase diesel further or increase benefits for electric vehicles
Old 14th August 2022, 17:18   #33
BHPian

If the diesel Innova is going to be stopped, people will start going for the ScorpioN. Even Mahindra wouldn't have expected this. Half of the Innova sales will be converted to ScorpioN and the sales is going to shoot up. Good times for Mahindra. Mahindra can rework the Scorpio and bring a Xylo replacement too.
Benoit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 18:08   #34
BHPian

Its suicidal by Toyota to do this! All of their competition with strong diesels gonna take this as an opportunity, especially Mahindra with ScorpioN and classic. Also MG Hector, Harrier and Safari facelifts too coming soon. Toyota's 2.7NA petrol might be reliable but not an exact replacement for diesels.

Or is this a QUALIS moment repeating? New car coming in Jan?

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 14th August 2022 at 18:09.
TorqueIndia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 18:10   #35
BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-model-424480 - well this original article said that Toyota's Australian design studio is working on a facelift of the Diesel, which will be sold alongside the new Hybrid model, largely for fleet operators.

I suspect this current move is to clear inventory, fulfil existing orders, re-tool the assembly lines for the new models, build inventory for the new body panels etc.

Well, we will soon knowl
Contrapunto is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 20:44   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAvgJoe View Post
I read someplace the the Hycross would be cheaper than the current Innova while keeping its dimensions. This I think, is a a fools dream, as every hybrid ever launched, the world over, has been more expensive than its fossil fueled cousin (I’m not talking about prices after tax breaks/incentives).
I agree with you. I am afraid even the lowest variant of Hycross will not be less than 30L OTR and top end could be as much as 45L.
mohan41 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 21:25   #37
BHPian

Definitely a big news indeed. Crysta was selling so well because of two reasons. One being reliability of Toyota and the second being 7 seater diesel. If they discontinue their diesel for public and replace with petrol hybrid only then I believe the Xuv and Safari etc. will be having a filled day at office. A petrol hybrid for a 7 seven seater BOF car, no matter what the price will be, will never match the economy of a diesel. With petrol price skyrocketing every year, not many will take the risk to purchase a big suv/muv in petrol. Remember most people buy Innova these days for the car itself and not for the 7 seater option. Given the situation they might switch to a 5 seater easily. Atleast it will have better fuel economy even in petrol avatar.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 22:14   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I heard Fortuner Diesel bookings will be stopped from Sept/Oct this year, is that true as well then?
No information about that, just Crysta news is confirmed.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 22:21   #39
BHPian

Notably HyCross will be monocoque vs the Crysta which is body on frame.
Old 14th August 2022, 22:52   #40

I think this new development has got something to do with TKM’s emissions output in India. One of the main reasons for their tie up with Maruti was to sell petrol cars and slowing their carbon emissions (which were much higher due to higher diesel car sales)

Guy’s at TKM are smart, killing their diesel Crysta, and relaunching hybrid crysta would help them realise a better price and lower emissions, both in one shot.

Well played Toyota.
Old 14th August 2022, 22:54   #41
MK3
BHPian

I feel that Toyota is testing the market, given no choice of diesel, will the customers go for their hybrid petrol product? If they find the customers to prefer other brand diesel SUV/MUV, may be they might rethink their decision and bring back the diesel. Maybe that's why they say that they are stopping to take the bookings rather than say that they are stopping the production altogether.
MK3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 04:27   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
A petrol hybrid for a 7 seven seater BOF car, no matter what the price will be, will never match the economy of a diesel. With petrol price skyrocketing every year, not many will take the risk to purchase a big suv/muv in petrol. Remember most people buy Innova these days for the car itself and not for the 7 seater option. Given the situation they might switch to a 5 seater easily. Atleast it will have better fuel economy even in petrol avatar.
I am not sure on what basis you say that. My friend's Lexus RX450h, 2.2 ton SUV powered by a 3.5l V6 with hybrid delivers between 13 to 15 kmpl easily.
akhilesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 09:58   #43
BHPian

Just saw this.

RushLane: Toyota Innova Diesel Bookings Stopped - New Bookings In Jan 2023.

Link

Quote:
New bookings of Innova diesel are no longer allowed. Dealers cannot make new bookings of Innova diesel in the system. Only Innova petrol bookings can be made. Existing bookings of diesel Innova will be honoured, and those will be delivered as per schedule. Bookings for diesel Innova will restart in Jan 2023.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 10:24   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Innova & Fortuner are the two main products keeping Toyota India running, and a major contributor to its bottom line due to their steep pricing & F-A-T profits. There is no way Toyota will discontinue the bread & butter engine of its bread & butter products. If it becomes a petrol only vehicle, sales will fall by 50-70% overnight.

This might be either due to some further BS6 emission tuning / problem, or some component shortage. Or they're coming out with some improvements.

Hybrid and all is okay, but it requires a phased approach, heavy marketing & customer awareness. The market won't move from diesel to hybrid overnight.

P.S. The already-terrific resale value of your Innova Crysta just shot through the roof. You could probably sell your 1 - 2 year old car for a price higher than you paid for it. Also, expect the Kia Carens, Hyundai Alcazar etc. to make the most of this situation.

Last edited by GTO : 15th August 2022 at 10:27.
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 11:03   #45
BHPian

2-3 things forcing them to stop Innova crysta diesel bookings.
1. The upcoming Hy cross
2. New diesel emission norms
3. The 6 airbag rule.

I am sure they would continue to sell Innova diesel as long as they can. They might change the variants, do some facelift and launch it only for taxi segment. Something like Dzire tour.
They want to get rid of existing inventory before the 6 airbag rules come into play.
samitjain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed