Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2022, 13:09   #121
BHPian

re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

Could the reason be:

- To accommodate the additional manufacturing capacity for the new Grand Vitara and HyRider as we all know they are manufacturing the Hybrid versions at the Toyota plant?

Any Guesses? Other than this, i don't see a reason to stop bookings for the money minting models.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 14:11   #122
BHPian

re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

Absolutely lame excuse by Toyota. Worst excuse by a solid and successful brand that I have come across.

I guess this has more to do with the Urban Cruiser Hyryder and the upcoming Innova HyCross. Probably Toyota is trying to set the prospects/customers' mindset since both the "Hy" models are petrol-only models.

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st August 2022 at 00:24. Reason: Typo
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 14:29   #123
Team-BHP Support

Innova and Fortuner are made on a different older line. The newer line that used to produce Liva twins must have been converted to more recent car launches.

Contrary to the TKM statement, I have seen stock or (2-3 weeks) delivery times for Innova. Stopping order booking has other reasons, and it appears TKM wants to keep it to themselves. It can be emission-related or the priority of other cars where they earn more.

Most manufacturers prioritise vehicles or trims that bring them the highest profits everywhere. BMW won't accept bookings on basic packages (overseas), and Porsche will need a Paint to Spec option if you fancy that 911 Turbo-S slot. Crazy times.

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th August 2022 at 14:30.
Turbanator is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 15:14   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Most manufacturers prioritise vehicles or trims that bring them the highest profits everywhere. BMW won't accept bookings on basic packages (overseas), and Porsche will need a Paint to Spec option if you fancy that 911 Turbo-S slot. Crazy times.
I have a couple of Doubts with this logic:

1) Does this mean Innova diesel has lesser profits than petrol? 90% of Innova's sale is Diesel and if they were minting less money than the rest 10% Petrol, then the whole team who set the prices needs to be sacked by Toyota!

2) Even within Innova petrol/Diesel, higher variants get them larger margins. So why is the top-end diesel stopped when lower-end petrol is still not stopped?

Clearly, Toyota doesn't want to explain the reality.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 15:21   #125
BHPian

Blatant lie by money hungry Toyota.

There must be some other reason. Why to give lame excuse?
IP_Man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 15:36   #126
Senior - BHPian

The reason I got from the dealer was that they are preparing the assembly line for the Hybrid Innova and hence the diesels are being shipped lesser in number. Maybe they don't want a 1 year waiting scenario like what Mahindra guys do.

Also, maybe they have a lot of stock of the petrol Innova that they want to get rid of before the Hybrid launches

Once the hybrid launches, I guess they will stop the petrol Innova and only have diesel and hybrid in the portfolio, just a hunch.

My dealer has told my dad that 300% you will get your car, this was a statement in a call just 4 days back.
humyum is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 16:11   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Could the reason be:

- To accommodate the additional manufacturing capacity for the new Grand Vitara and HyRider as we all know they are manufacturing the Hybrid versions at the Toyota plant?

Any Guesses? Other than this, i don't see a reason to stop bookings for the money minting models.
Innova and Fortuner are assembled at Plant 1 in Bidadi meanwhile the hybrids are being assembled in Plant 2 where the Camry is being assembled for sometime now and very recently the HyRyder and Grand Vitara.

Although I would’ve expected this reply from Toyota India much before, it’s too late now for a reply that doesn’t even feel true!!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 30th August 2022 at 16:14.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 16:31   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
I have a couple of Doubts with this logic:
Clearly, Toyota doesn't want to explain the reality.
You are right, but as I mentioned before, we can only guess. Also, these are very different times; we cannot equate anything that used to be a norm, say six months back.

Innova's Petrol engine still comes from overseas, whereas Diesel is made locally, and Diesel: Petrol ratio will be 100:1, so it's intriguing why they will do stop

I am a 100% supporter of Petrol Innova wherever your driving is less than 10,000 Km annually. The comfort, noise and overall driveability are superior to Diesel.
Turbanator is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 17:57   #129
BHPian

Or this is another way to shoot prices by huge margin.

Stop supply and few months down the line customers will line up to pay even a huge appreciation in price. Meanwhile all these months focus on introducing other cars.

Perfect game of creating a huge demand and sell later at exorbitant prices.

And validation of my reply can come via a poll on team bhp whether buyers will be willing to pay a huge price difference when supply resumes.
steadfast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 22:07   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The reason I got from the dealer was that they are preparing the assembly line for the Hybrid Innova
There is no Innova Hybrid currently, period.

As I mentioned, another MUV is being squeezed, smaller than Innova, which should have a hybrid variant too. If you check the review of hybrid urban cruiser, you will find many things are required for a hybrid powertrain. On the current generation of Innova, it will be super difficult if not impossible.

As seen on almost all generations, they will first launch a new generation in SE Asia and then here.

Quote:
maybe they have a lot of stock of the petrol Innova that they want to get rid of before the Hybrid launches

Toyota and high inventories don't happen ever. Check records; before they release any newer generation, older ones will be gone entirely from the yards. Not even with dealers. They are very, very good with planning - The Toyota Way.

Quote:
My dealer has told my dad that 300% you will get your car
Yes, most of the old car bookings are being honoured, in North, you can get some variants off the shelf, too, but this was a few weeks back.

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th August 2022 at 22:11.
Turbanator is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 09:52   #131

I had booked a Crysta Diesel AT on the 12th of this month and vehicle was ready in 10 days. Probably car was in their yard before I made the booking .
Most likely every dealership has a few pieces in stock and if one is willing to compromise on the colour you may still be able to pick one.
My SA said they had 45 bookings for the Crysta diesel the next day (once the news of stopping of diesel variant bookings came out), in my Tier 2 city.

MOD NOTE : Please go through Expected Posting Etiquettes before making any further post on Team-BHP.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st August 2022 at 10:26. Reason: Mod note attached.
Dr Thomas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 14:00   #132
BHPian

Spoke to an Industry Insider on this. This is to accommodate the Grand Vitara/Hyryder manufacturing for upcoming festive season. In that case, they are aiming at very high numbers with Vitara/Hyryder and make it a runaway success. Which again could translate for aggressive pricing for Vitara/Hyryder.
( Every assumptions in context that Toyota decided to halt its bread and butter model and utilise its full 3L per annum capacity for upcoming 2 cars. Bidadi plant always used to be under utilized and hopefully it changes with new cars)
5252rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 16:46   #133
BHPian

Toyota has issued a clarification about Discontinuation of Innova.

It is just due to a huge backlog and not due to the upcoming Hybrid Innova. So that clarifies that both models will continue simultaneously. This should give a huge relief to all the guys who booked it.

My friends went into panic as the company refused to give delivery despite booking one 3 months ago and showroom offered to refund the amount. I believe there is huge pressure from Political circles for Innova and general public booking are been cancelled to service political pressure. Don't know how much truth it is.

Toyota clarifies on Innova diesel-discontinuation- Only temporarily/
DRPSREDDY is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 21:03   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toyota Innova Crysta Diesel Bookings Halted Due to High Demand
Demand outpaces supply of your product.. So what you do .? Halt the production and stop booking rather than increasing the production..! This is the strange market dynamics, Toyota seems to follow, atleast as per their press release.

Last edited by poloman : 31st August 2022 at 21:04.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 21:17   #135
BHPian

Of all the manufacturers in India, I find Toyota to be least customer centric. Rather it's other way round.

Hey Toyota!! It's we customers who have been Toyota centric.

Toyota has taken us for a ride time and again. Be it pricing, poorly engineered Etios cousins or their lacklustre showrooms. The premium they charge for their cars doesn't reflect anywhere except for the famous Toyota reliability, which I personally feel is extremely overrated.

Infact, keeping apart small and third world countries, I don't know any other nation where Toyota charges so much premium for their products. Rather they are known for providing value proposition in countries like US and Australia.

Not so long ago, Toyota LC Prado used to rival the Ford Everest in Australia. In India I was surprised to see Tfort competing with the Endy(Everest) and outsell the endy.

So Toyota tell us what's cooking, we deserve to know more than anyone else.
Indepth is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks