Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:29   #46
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Superb & Octavia production to end in Feb 2023

Are the 1.0 TSI and 1.5 TSI engines also affected by these new norms? Axing of the legendary Octavia is indeed saddening - this car defined luxury and performance for the D-segment; A segment which will now fade into oblivion after this. Octys in Europe do run on the 1.5 TSI motor but I do not think Skoda India has any plans do so here in India. Looks like I need to hold onto to my Octavia II (a.k.a Laura) for years to come.
anuragbagur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:24   #47
BHPian

Yo! Folks who supported sky high tariffs and import duties so we can make everything in India, are you all happy now? This is what you get when you close up markets. Now we got plenty to choose in above 70 Lakh and a bunch of Hyundai products in below 20 Lakh and big dumb desert in between. As a petrol head just coming up in life and wallet size, this is just depressing.

Last edited by GTO : 25th August 2022 at 12:25. Reason: Changing back to original version of the post
nakul0888 is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:39   #48

was in the market for a car and had shortlisted Tiguan, Octavia and Kodiaq

all have same engines, but Octavia is a true sedan with amazing interiors. with the L&K version costing 35 L OTR, does it make sense to buy this car when we KNOW Its going to go off market?
nks81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:01   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Their sales numbers might have been just in the 3 digits, yet both the Octavia & Superb were profitable for Skoda India and added to the bottom line. More importantly, it is these cars that have built "brand Skoda" in India. Take it away and you only have two cars that are doing just okay in the market (Kushaq, Slavia) and the Kodiaq. Other than the Kodiaq though, no car from its line-up would be punching above its weight...something the Octavia & Superb did so well. These are the ultimate value-luxury cars! As a Superb owner, I am very saddened by this news.

First the Jetta, then VAG's brilliant 2.0 TDI engine and now this. We're losing some great value-luxury cars in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Is this Skoda India's Honda India moment?
My exact thoughts when discussing it with Viddy! Honda India also lost some great cars from their global portfolio (Civic, Accord, CR-V) and it does significantly affect the brand equity.
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:03   #50
BHPian

Sad news. Hoping against hope that Skoda somehow keeps the Octavia somehow ! Even a CBU will do !
Octavia for me is one the best cars not even in India, but the whole world. The value for money this car provides is unmatched. Ive driven all sorts of luxury high end cars this world has to offer, still I do not feel the car substandard when I sit inside an Octavia !
Skoda please keep the Octavia dream of enthusiasts alive !

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th August 2022 at 19:01. Reason: Typo edited
lambodara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:38   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Yo!!! Folks who supported sky high tariffs and import duties so we can make everything in India, are you all happy now?
While I get your rant, in this particular case it has little to do with tariffs and import duties.

I am frankly surprised that VAG tripped up like this. They had all the time to examine these regulations (laid out in painstaking detail) way back in 2020. Every global carmaker is/has been working towards meeting identical country-specific RDE regulations, and the Big 5 are reportedly already compliant due to Euro 6.

Let us not forget that RDE1 & RDE2 has been progressively mandatory in the EU since 2017, and complements the older lab-based WLTP. Again, I feel VAG messed up somewhere big-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
More importantly, it is these cars that have built "brand Skoda" in India.
So true. Even today, my pre-facelift Octavia TSI is ogled by people across all ages muttering, "it's a Skoda". THAT is what will get irretrievably lost!

Last edited by itwasntme : 23rd August 2022 at 12:39.
itwasntme is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

Is this the beginning of the end of D1/D2 value-luxury sedans?

Speaking of numbers, the Superb had a 18% YoY growth in Jun'22 while the Octavia showed a 64% drop in sales.

While this sales history surely gives a strong indication as to why Skoda would have not bothered to meet the expensive upgrade to BS6-phase II norms for these marquee sedans, VAG India will lose out on its overall "Skoda" branding charisma and perhaps, a broader impact on its future sales as well.

Skoda was clearly the more dapper of the lot!

The withdrawal of this value-luxury sedans could also mean, that the so-called proper-luxury sedans (the Big 3) will have reduced competition and that might lead to possibly more price inflation in that segment.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 13:24   #53
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Does this mean the Audi A4 will also be axed? Q3,A6?
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:34   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
While I get your rant, in this particular case it has little to do with tariffs and import duties.

I am frankly surprised that VAG tripped up like this. They had all the time to examine these regulations (laid out in painstaking detail) way back in 2020. Every global carmaker is/has been working towards meeting identical country-specific RDE regulations, and the Big 5 are reportedly already compliant due to Euro 6.

Let us not forget that RDE1 & RDE2 has been progressively mandatory in the EU since 2017, and complements the older lab-based WLTP. Again, I feel VAG messed up somewhere big-time.
So true. Even today, my pre-facelift Octavia TSI is ogled by people across all ages muttering, "it's a Skoda". THAT is what will get irretrievably lost!
It seems fairly clear the strategy Vw is following. Margin over numbers for ICE and electrification of the fleet. Not to forget that margin comes not only from Vw but also through the many other group brands their flagship products. India is unfortunately not an exception. The 2.0 strategy seems to be a time gap filler. They will continue to get the high margin ICE vehicles through CBU but move towards consolidation of product portfolio. Unfortunately as petrol heads we are stuck between this awkward phase of changing automotive landscape.
My take would be buy these cars if on the shortlist when they are still available. Enjoy them and hold onto them.
Article linked below for reading.
https://www.drivespark.com/amphtml/f...30-035769.html

Last edited by EaurougeatSpa : 23rd August 2022 at 14:37.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:34   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

So what other engines besides these are going to be axed under the new BS6 norms? Could this be another golden period for car buyers to get discounts much like the BS4 deadline back in 2019 which was the best time for discounts in recent years.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:49   #56

Did not think my first post on team-bhp would be a reply, but still, here we are. Was just about to book Octavia L&K but this week's end. Had a talk with my SA but this news has not reached them. There is no official communication about the production to end. He is absolutely certain it is not possible. Is it wise to buy a car that might get discontinued within 2-3 months of delivery?
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:38   #57
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

As an ex-owner of a Superb, this breaks my heart.
Farewell, proud ships.

Scoop! Skoda Superb & Octavia production to end in Feb 2023-20180916_132212.jpg
vredesbyrd is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 16:06   #58
BHPian

From now on I will look at my superb Superb L&K TSI a little differently.

"Go ahead, Envy me... I am Sedans MVP .. and I aint going no where till you get to know me .. ..." crooned 50 Cent

Last edited by VPJ74 : 23rd August 2022 at 16:10. Reason: Errata
VPJ74 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 16:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

I believe the Octavia and the Superb are low volume high margin CKDs, in which case an engine swap isn't any more complicated like a trim rejig?

I wonder BS6 phase 1 to phase 2 is as drastic a change as BS4 to BS6. When BS6 heralded the end of an era for engines, basically every VAG TDI was replaced with a TSI rather than entire models being axed
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 18:45   #60
BHPian

its a sad news, both Superb & Octavia were the kings of their segment,
there is none which comes close to them, octavia is like competition free,

it is not the product but the segment which is letting them down. Skoda missed opportunity in providing us successor of Fabia / Yeti which today are the super active segments in India.
Asoon is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks