Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Skoda Superb & Octavia production to end in Feb 2023

The Skoda Superb and Octavia are among the last remaining D-segment sedans in India and soon, they will be axed. Sources tell us that Skoda will stop producing these models in India in February 2023, with sales ceasing by March 31, 2023.

Scoop! Skoda Superb & Octavia production to end in Feb 2023-2021skodaoctavia08.jpg

Phase 2 of BS6 emission regulations, which will require carmakers to achieve emission targets in real-world conditions (RDE - Real Driving Emissions), will come into effect from April 1, 2023. The current EA888 evo3 DQ381-7F drivetrain will be near the boundary line of the emission requirements and would need to be replaced by the evo4 engine.

Swapping the evo3 with the evo4 for a single market will be a costly affair and does not make a valid business case. The other option that was said to be on the table was the Russian market EA888 evo4 DQ381-7A drivetrain (where ‘A’ stands for AWD). However, this was rejected by the Indian product planners due to fuel efficiency and price consideration, as the volume would have been minimal.

Scoop! Skoda Superb & Octavia production to end in Feb 2023-download-66.jpg

While the upgrade to the evo4 AWD doesn’t make sense for the Superb and Octavia, the Kodiaq and Tiguan will get the EA888 evo4 DQ381-7A drivetrain developed by Audi AG from February onwards.

With the axing of the Superb and Octavia, Skoda and VW India’s product portfolio will be limited to 3 models each from April 1, 2023. The Kodiaq and Tiguan will continue as halo products.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 22nd August 2022 at 10:55.
TusharK is online now   (106) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Superb & Octavia production to end in Feb 2023

End of an enthusiasts era.
One of the cars I shortlisted for purchase was the new Octavia, It lacked on some things I felt except for sheer driving pleasure. On the one hand I am glad I did not purchase a soon to be discontinued car on the other I will really miss seeing the Octavia go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Swapping the evo3 with the evo4 for a single market will be a costly affair and does not make a valid business case.
Quote:
The other option that was said to be on the table was the Russian market EA888 evo4 DQ381-7A drivetrain (where ‘A’ stands for AWD). However, this was rejected by the Indian product planners due to fuel efficiency and price consideration, as the volume would have been minimal.
I wonder If the new Octavia at launch had not seen such a price hike vs. the last one It perhaps still could have done resonable enough numbers for them to consider continuing this legendary car.

Last edited by Maky : 22nd August 2022 at 11:29.
Maky is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:22   #3
BHPian

Sad if true. Longtime fence sitter re the Octavia, would have to consider other options now.
As many here have pointed out earlier, they could have increased the volumes of Octavia by bringing entry level variants, plonking 1.5 litre TSI EVO engine etc and starting the Octavia range at OTR of say 22-24 lacs. But then again, would the higher volumes (say 500-600 units per month) have justified the big investments? Not sure.

Last edited by FAIAAA : 22nd August 2022 at 11:23. Reason: Typo
FAIAAA is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
The Skoda Superb and Octavia are among the last remaining D-segment sedans in India and soon, they will be axed. Sources tell us that Skoda will stop producing these models in India in February 2023, with sales ceasing by March 31, 2023.
It is indeed not so great news to hear that the last of the D-segment sedans will be gone.

I just test drove the Octavia over the weekend and loved the car though somewhat pricey - though this is true of the general market now. The missus and I were discussing whether to move forward with this or the new Tucson - another high-priced contender for what it offers (my personal opinion only here!). My # of options available has come down significantly in the last 8-10 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I wonder If the new Octavia at launch had not seen such a price hike vs. the last one It perhaps still could have done resonable enough numbers for them to consider continuing this legendary car.
While I too am not keen now about a car that will likely be discontinued sooner than later, not sure if there will be price discounts in the next 3-6 months. Or maybe it will become made to order only to avoid surplus inventory.
vijaykr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think the real reason would be the lack of interest in sedan segment. If they had the volumes, they would have worked on the engine. VW group anyway does not have diesel and If they can have Tiguan and Kodiaq, why not Octavia and Supperb ? Octavia actually has a crossover like GC and is very capable.

I would have hope they offered some hybrid offerings until our market is ready to embrace EV.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:38   #6
BHPian

Sad news Indeed. The Superb is an amazing car. But that said, the emission norms are now part and parcel of the automotive world and hence one needs to accept them.
Quote:
With the axing of the Superb and Octavia, Skoda and VW India’s product portfolio will be limited to 3 models each from April 1, 2023. The Kodiaq and Tiguan will continue as halo products.
I had the Tiguan as one of my shortlist cars. So, would it be wise to buy the present car?

Last edited by ChetanM6 : 22nd August 2022 at 11:40.
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:43   #7
BHPian

This might very well be an opportunity for folks like me who've been sitting on the fence with the Octavia and comparable D-segment SUVs. I anticipate heavy discounts towards Feb-March if they are indeed being discontinued, which might make buying the Octavia very appealing! Granted that resale would take a hit, but then there's nothing else like an Octavia, especially with that 2 litre engine!
automowheels is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:44   #8
BANNED

Atop the mountains, proclaimed skoda "the death of the executive sedan!", as a young'un who aspired the superb and octy for what they stood for in the sea of over-styled and cheaply made competitors, this is indeed a sad moment.
Nikhildrao is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:45   #9
BHPian

Ah. sad news. The Octavia is my favorite car in the segment. I always to buy one. I was going to buy one in 2017 but bought Rapid TDI DSG instead, because the Octavia was going way above the budget.
Brigadier is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:07   #10
BHPian

Does this change to the EA888 evo4 DQ381-7A drivetrain mean that the Kodiaq and Tiguain will be getting a more powerful engine and hence get even more expensive?
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Now would be a good time to start electrification of Skoda/VW models by offering PHEV versions of Octavia and Superb, which are available in other markets. At least, that would take care of fuel efficiency concerns.
StarrySky is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:33   #12
BHPian

Having just sold our 2005 Octavia L&K (2L kms !), this does hit a bit hard. We have owned various cars including Volvo/BMW/VW but somehow my father always loved the Octavia the most (for its seats and suspension). The sedans really differentiated Skoda/VW from the pack and now they are just another brand rivalling Hyundai/Kia etc. with similar cars.

Must say some really questionable decisions from the management of Skoda and VW in regards to Octavia/Superb/Polo/Jetta. I do think these would have done decent numbers as well.
kartavya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:42   #13
BHPian

Sad news.

Though I am not in the market for a new car, I keep dreaming that I will retire early and take long, luxury chauffeur-driven trips in a Superb .
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:53   #14
BHPian

Very sad. Feeling like missing someone very close to the heart. Felt the same when Jetta and Passat were discontinued. Nothing else can replace them and fill the void. Still wishing this is untrue because I still dream of owning Superb one day.
DonHyd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:57   #15
Team-BHP Support

I was always thinking how Skoda managed to get the Evo3 2WD Octavia to India when globally you get only AWD Evo4. Now I know this was a stop gap from some country spec that had less tighter emissions.

It's sad to see iconic names go away like this.

I somehow feel the Octavia might still manage with a 2 pronged approach in India. 1.5L TSI for the masses and vrs for the enthusiasts with the 245 and AWD option.

Superb also has it's appeal but will need to go the Camry way with the Hybrid option but price will be well above 50 in that case.
Vid6639 is offline   (30) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks