Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:01   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
If you go to Mitsubishi motors US website, Montero is available for less than USD 35K. I understand the import duty of more than 100% but onroad price of 40L in India is close to 100K USD. This is either a major case of highway robbery or I am missing something.
They dont sell Montero in USA anymore. I think they stopped selling it few years ago.
Old 24th March 2010, 07:22   #77
BHPian

Montero is still sold in UAE and KSA and it is called Pajero there. One of the best/ most commenly seen sports utility vehicle after Toyota's Prado Landcruiser is Montero.

IMO, this car is over priced atleast by 8 Lakhs. If it was priced correctly - i.e. around 26 Lakhs - Mitsubishi would have been able to divert the unlimited flow of Fortuner customers to them. This is robbery.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
IMO, this car is over priced atleast by 8 Lakhs. If it was priced correctly - i.e. around 26 Lakhs - Mitsubishi would have been able to divert the unlimited flow of Fortuner customers to them. This is robbery.
Montero comes to India as a CBU and hence is levied by a 104% duty.. so the company cant help it.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:00   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Montero comes to India as a CBU and hence is levied by a 104% duty.. so the company cant help it.

I understand. Even after the heavy import fee, the show room price is way more than what it should be. It is way over the 104%.
Old 24th March 2010, 19:04   #80
BHPian

The top end Montero - (Pajero in Kuwait )with A/T, leather seats, sunroof, Cruise control, 4x4,alloys, ACC etc costs KD 9,000/- Equivalent of Rupees 14 lakhs. This is inclusive of 5% Kuwait customs and Dealer profit.

Now add indian 104% import customs duty , 12% VAT, 12% Road tax, 4% insurance, i.e add 132% to the 14lakhs still it should be sold at 32.5 lakhs OTR in India.

HM pricing is truely crazy.

Last edited by harimakesh : 24th March 2010 at 19:06.
Old 25th March 2010, 08:49   #81
BHPian

i would agree with you harimakesh. For the same price, you would get an S class merc in the US.This is outrageous.
Old 25th March 2010, 20:01   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No wonder they sell all of 2 units in a month (and zero in some), is it? I've said it before and I'll say it again : The Montero is a BRILLIANT SUV. Torquey diesel, good road manners, nice level of kit and Jap reliability.

Unfortunately, it takes only one HM to kill a great product. About a year back, this Mitsu was retailing for an absolutely ridiculous 50 lakh rupees OTR Mumbai. A more realistic price would be 30 - 32 lakhs tops. After all, we are talking about a 13 year old platform here!
Old 25th March 2010, 20:52   #83
Senior - BHPian

Actually both the Montero and the Prado have been disasters in India. I'm not sure if its marketing or pricing or what.

Surprising because we are an SUV crazy country but I see people spending the same money and squeezing themselves into the back seats of C-classes. whereas they could have been much better off in one of these.
Old 16th April 2012, 22:50   #84
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi unveils its new Montero

Has been reading on various websites that a face-lifted Montero has been launched. New instrument cluster lighting, new finish for power window panels, and a new grille seems to be the "upgrades".

But almost all sites report that the prices have not been revised If that is the case, at around 41L ex- showroom, the Montero is good value, IMO.
Old 17th April 2012, 20:03   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
But almost all sites report that the prices have not been revised If that is the case, at around 41L ex- showroom, the Montero is good value, IMO.
It indeed is. In fact, after looking at the SUVs in a segment below it like the Fortuner, the Pajero Sport, the Endy et al, the Montero now actually seems to be a very good vehicle on its own.

Here is another website which has the details of its new variant launched at 40.50lac INR.

Mitsubishi Montero face lift launch, price and photos | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice
Old 17th April 2012, 20:51   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It indeed is. In fact, after looking at the SUVs in a segment below it like the Fortuner, the Pajero Sport, the Endy et al, the Montero now actually seems to be a very good vehicle on its own.

Here is another website which has the details of its new variant launched at 40.50lac INR.

Mitsubishi Montero face lift launch, price and photos | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice
it is and always was one of the best SUV's around! but still the pricing is on a higher side thanks to over confidence by HM. at that price point now you have so many choices. you have the freelancer 2, audi Q5, bmw X3, volvo XC60. and unfortunately no one in india thinks montero is superior to these products or they are simply not aware of montero at all! I say bring down the price some more. like 32-33 lacs and then some marketing for product awareness and then see how it sells like hot cakes! I just don't get the business plan of HM. you over price your product and then on top of it don't spend on marketing and you have a sure shot dud! instead lower the price to realistic value and spend a bit on product awareness and sell in quantity and eventually turn it into a successful product. but no. thats not how we work right HM! seriously guys... wake up and smell the coffee! you can't put a decade old product in competition with new advanced premium brand products. people looking to buy anything above 20 lacs will have the snob value of premium brand top on its list of priority. and theres where a decade old product simply don't stand a chance. i doubt HM is going to taste success with any of its fantastic SUV's with this business plan.

that being said I would buy the montero in a heart beat if I was looking for a true blue SUV in that price bracket! only thing that comes close to this baby at this price point is the freelancer 2 I guess. but that again is a much smaller SUV. you get so much more with the montero.

Damn you HM guys!

Last edited by magikrider : 17th April 2012 at 20:55.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks