Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: TATA's Rs 1 lakh Car: Yes or No
It will be a new revolution and will change the way we look at small cars and their usefulness. 239 64.42%
It would create chaos and we already have enough cars and we need alternate pblic transportation 74 19.95%
Its too early to predict anything 86 23.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2008, 17:40   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponniah_ashok View Post
Dude!

TATAs know the art of getting the govt approvals, be it safety or emission. Every day i see the TATA commercial vehicles, Indicas and Indigos which are a little older, spitting smokes like the steel factory bellows.

It is not the type approval of the new vehicle that is of concern, emission norms in true sense is the life of the engine to sustain the conditions and still maintaining the norms.

I have used TATA vehicles starting from the TATA estates. So many years on, Mr.Rattan TATA could never perfect the passenger cars models(including the Indicas, Safaris and Indigos)They all are still machines moving people but not the cars in terms of worldclass technology. TATA has a long way to go before perfecting a car and to make a 1 lac car. It is just a poor car for a poor man who does not understand what is in store for him is a complete raw deal from a man more interested in keeping his promise rather than giving a better deal.

I only wish TATA had perfected the existing models of Indica and Indigo(more than 6 years and no significant product change yet!!!) rather than eyeing quick bucks through the so called sensation.

If you decide to buy and drive the car, I hope you would enjoy going by your loyalty to TATAs.
Just for my knowledge Mr Ashok, which brand of car do you drive??
If you speak about smoke belching tata vehicles on the road, they are the ones which have been abused beyond intented capacity.

How can you justify your comment about NANO being a poor man's car for a poor man? Is some one spending Rs 1.5 lac on a car, your definition of a poor man? Have you seen the poverty levels in our country?

FYI tata is the only manufacturer apart from Bajaj, who have been steadily progressing on the learning curve, and passing benefits to the paying customer.
Old 19th January 2008, 17:41   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
@aaggoswami: Sad to know that you have gone through this for someone else's fault.

The traffic sense in general in Idia isnt decent by any standards and there may be a rise in accidents once the Nanos come in.

There should be pro active policies by the government to infuse good traffic sense and ensure that the traffic rules are followed with strict penalties.

The Govt should gear up before the Nano release rather than and reaact later.
I feel once many two wheeler/three wheelers are replaced by the NANO, people would automatically drive better, simply because everyone is more concerned about his car getting scraped/dented rather than a bike
Old 19th January 2008, 17:49   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Zappo has been making sense in both his postings...

My general views on the car and the market:

1.The car's production solely depends on the volume. The suppliers cannot take it any more if the volume goes down anywhere below what TATA claims they would sell in the market. The suppliers are assured atleast 80% of the number.
2.The price tag in my estimate cannot be sustained even for a year.(Not to add the fact the vehicle needs upgradation peridically, which means again higher input costs)
3.The targetted buyers for this cars can be,
a.Lady drivers-if the car is proven to be safer on roads, not what Mr.TATA claims as it is.(I jus can't imaine Mr.TATA saying the car is a tin box and may not stand a chance in an increasingly dangerous driving conditions of indian roads!!!).May be the dealers are told this will give a better business in terms of denting and paintng business. I sure agreewith those who said TATA is a business man and not doing social service.I can only sympathise with those who say TATA is more concerned with those families riding on the scooters. it is joke. If he were so concerned, he would have as well ventured into business if providing cheap ousing for middle class people in bombay and other expensive cities where people literally live in shambles.(May be he has never visited those places). or he could have opened a chain of retaurants to provide hygienic foor at throwaway prices. lol....Anyway indians can be hooked to such heart touching talks...
b.As a second car at home for the young college going kids-Only if the car is proven to be trendy and has a decent power and ease of driving, which i feel not is not the case.
c.As a decent commuter for a rural family with decent income-The car should be able to handle rural roads. couple of breakdowns en route in the rural area with our guy sitting in the car with family at night hours will be enough for him to dump the car and take a bus.
d.Middle class of the urban areas- I think they will decide the fate of this car. But the question is, a second hand 800 is a better bet with the proven record or a second hand omni(It would be interesting if MSIL should drop the prices of omni and 800 as well!!!)
But the problem is middle class cannot have 2 types of cars one for a short morning and evening ride to office and one for highways or bad roads and foe high speed or for a pleasure driving....
The nano is more like a reva. i would not buy the car for the looks and hype. i would choose a second hand alto and use it in all conditions.

But india is a weird market. It may go by the hype. Will the success sustain is a question.

I would like to give a thumbs down clearly for the the simple reason cars are not toys. They should better the existing models in terms of specifications with lesser cost. TATAs seems to have succeded in the later but failed badly in the former.
Are you the social worker kind, the one who wants slums in Mumbai, but not next to their house????

I would love to know what makes the NANO a TIN BOX CAR. Also according to you which car below Rs 6 Lac is not a TIN BOX.

If you know business, you would know India is not a 'weird market' but a highly knowledgable 'emerging market' in which people choose the best product for them, and not necessarily whats good in USA or Europe.

If the NANO succeeds, it will succeed because it gives people what they want in a Car, at the price they feel good about paying.
Old 19th January 2008, 18:50   #139
BHPian

Weight of the Nano car

Wonder what the weight of the car would be. My guess is anywhere around 375 to 450 Kilos.

Anybody has any information on this..
Old 20th January 2008, 13:13   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Are you the social worker kind, the one who wants slums in Mumbai, but not next to their house????
I would love to know what makes the NANO a TIN BOX CAR. Also according to you which car below Rs 6 Lac is not a TIN BOX.
If you know business, you would know India is not a 'weird market' but a highly knowledgable 'emerging market' in which people choose the best product for them, and not necessarily whats good in USA or Europe.
Very well said apache! you spoke for all of us. we Indians are the biggest critics of our own products. patriotism is exhibited only during the game of cricket. i once read that koreans are so feircely patriotic that they do not buy any foreign cars. it is said you only see hyundais, daewoos, ssangyongs and kias on the streets of Seoul. on the contrary, we take too much pride in anything and evrything foreign. we can never be like koreans. but the least we can do is support an indian who has made an honest attempt in making the cheapest car in the world which looks much better than many cars which are several times more expensive.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd January 2008 at 23:17. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:38   #141

NANO is as good an achievement as an auto/jugad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

Very well said apache! you spoke for all of us. we Indians are the biggest critics of our own products. patriotism is exhibited only during the game of cricket. i once read that koreans are so feircely patriotic that they do not buy any foreign cars. it is said you only see hyundais, daewoos, ssangyongs and kias on the streets of Seoul. on the contrary, we take too much pride in anything and evrything foreign. we can never be like koreans. but the least we can do is support an indian who has made an honest attempt in making the cheapest car in the world which looks much better than many cars which are several times more expensive.
Guys,
Im really sorry if my views have conveyed a different meaning to some in terms of not being patriotic, not appreciating an indian firm making a model never been made by any one else or giving an opinion that im a social type etc.,

Am as much an admirer of TATA as anybody else in whatever good they are doing for the country.

As some one quoted ford,
“The greatest need today is a light, low-priced car with an up-to-date engine of ample horsepower and built of the very best material... one that is in every way an automobile and not a toy”.

The question is How much up to date is the car with a 2 cylinder engine, with a max speed of 70 km/hr(Not very sure what that means ..is it the max reading in the speedo dials??? If that is the case in the normal driving conditions it can run safely at a speed of 60).In today's scenario of cars available this could mean a toy only.

TATAs have not come out with the latest technical innovations done in the body panels/design/safety/material/engine/transmission etc.,.(except that more than 30 patents have been taken to bring the production cost down)

It is my sincere doubt, that TATAs crying to be so concerned with the two wheeler rider with his family has made double scooter with a cover.
That's good for the scooter rider's at cost of 4 scooters.(4 persons can sit inside and protect themselves from all weather and ride at a speed lower than a scooter!!. 2 engines of two scooters adds upto 2 cylinder).

Do you think anybody can stop anyone on the usage of this vehicle? With better roads coming up in places and highways being built. 100s of nanos moving at not more than 60 km speed making the driving a hell?

It does not mean i want those customer's to be deprieved of owning a car, but, it is the technology which has nothing to do with the current requirements of the driving conditions.(either on highways or on the rural mud roads..imagine the 10" wheel running on the pot holes..)

Remember, who ever has invented a wheel would have been proud to see a bullock cart on road. But i dnt think he would argue the bullock carts to be allowed on the busy roads or highways or wherever we have have been shouting against its existence on road.

What are we proud about this vehicle? exteriors? i loved the looks..frankly.

All i wanted to say was, i do not see any real technological advancement or any major innovation to be proud of in this car. The car is still overpriced.(I imagine it would be nothig less than 1.3 lacs in the first year, and nothing less than 1.5 in the second year!! wonder why!!!lol)

I remember a auto mechanic who has assenbled a car for Rs.40000 only with a nearly unsafe exteriors. May be TATAs to be congratulated for their bold step in making such a vehicle as a mass production type.

All i expected was a path breaking technology being used in terms of engine, speed, power, safety (they have a common cross bars in the front.remember ZEn-D with same jugad front cross bar??), transmission, space etc.,

May be the expectations are too much from a people's man who promised to deliver nothing of this sort, but a cheap car and he has made his promise.

Im sure we will buy the car because it is cheap, it is affordable simply because we are a nation with millions of people aspiring to travel on a four wheeler oblivious to the idea of what is a real value for money.

The views are completely personal and not to hurt anybody's sentiments nor against the nano lovers.

The car will sell.

Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd January 2008 at 23:18. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 23rd January 2008, 16:56   #142
BHPian

This car will sell,a lot.It is this car that will completely fulfill the ambitions of the Indian man>Bangla nahi toh jkya hua,gaadi toh hei
Old 23rd January 2008, 20:09   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
Im really sorry if my views have conveyed a different meaning to some in terms of not being patriotic, not appreciating an indian firm making a model never been made by any one else or giving an opinion that im a social type etc.,
The views are completely personal and not to hurt anybody's sentiments nor against the nano lovers.

The car will sell.

Thanks.

Dude, you seem to say that you admire the TATAs and at the same time mention things that seem to suggest otherwise.

The TATAS have applied for 30 or 30+ patents in the process of designing/ manufacturing the car and you still seem to be disappointed about the Top speed , power , safety, wheels and what not.

Simple question: The single cylinder Auto with three wheels cost about 1.5 Lakhs with a top speed of say 60+ and you were expecting path breaking technology in the NANO.

You talk about wheels, 2 cylinders, 2 scooters, top speed of 70, safety features and all that gibberish when you easily seem to discount the fact that the cheapest available car/ three wheeler is so much inferior interms of everything that you mention.

My views are mine and I do not intend to hurt anybody's sentiments

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd January 2008 at 22:43. Reason: Quote edited. Don't quote entire large posts.
Old 23rd January 2008, 22:05   #144
Senior - BHPian

Nano will have a good pick up!!!

Mr Ponnaiah_Ashok. You are complaining abouy Nano's low top speed and slow pick up. We can't expect a Ferrari for 1.3 lakh or whatever the Nano finally sells for. BTW, Nano is said to have a top speed of 105 kph. It's not such a bad top speed. More than enough for city crawl which it is intended for. In fact 105 kph is also good for most highways where one seldom gets a chance to safely exceed 100 kph in view of prevailing traffic conditions. But more important than top speed is the light weight of Nano. By the look of its diminutive size it will probably weigh no more than 400 kgs. And if that is the case, then 33 bhp for 400 kgs is more than adequate and it will give it a very good power to weight ratio advantage. This in turn will mean lighgtning quick acceleration. So, it will take off all the way upto its top speed of 105 kph. In fact it may even beat most other samll cars upto its top speed with that high powert to weight ratio. So your concerns about Nano holding up traffic does not appear correct. Speaking of holding traffic, if you give a slow crawler moron a Ferrari, he would still crawl along at 20 kph in fast lane holding tarffic up behind him. It's never a car's fault --- it's always the driver's fault. I see many popular bigger cars like fiesta, Verna, Safari, Scorps crawling along in fast line holding traffic up behind them for no apparent reason. Or sometimes engrossed in conversation over mobile and not caring a hoot for traffic piling up behind them , nor pulling to a side to let 'em pass. What do you say to that? Haven't you seen any such people?

Road widening, parking lot construction etc. are government's duty and not any auto manufacturers. If we succed in evicting all the hawkers from the sidewalks, half of our problems would go away. Most of our roads should be made 8 lane. But more important than no. of lanes is traffic discipline which is at its worst in our country. You may make a 20 lane road but things would still be in a mess if every body simply occupies one lane each and parks in the middle of the road or turns without signalling or there are so many other ways of making the whole 20 lanes a mess. So driver and pedestrian discipline is the only solution.
Old 24th January 2008, 06:58   #145
BHPian

Man! what heated discusion happening here..
and to add my 2 cents...
I feel the whole problem is in looking at NANO as a car. We still associate the word Car with some sort of luxuary.(which nano dosent seem to have, not that other entry level cars have it).
Instead of seeing it as a car, look at it like a upgradation of auto. Treat is as a vehicle of public transport...things will look more rosy then

Auto Nano
1 cylinder 2 cylinder
3wheeler 4 wheeler
Open&unsafe Closed door&more safer
40kmph top speed 70kmph top speed
1.6L on road price 1.3L on road price

OT: It gives me peace just imagining nano's replacing Bangalore's Autos. No "trrrrrr trrrr" noice. No more 90 deg surprise turns. no more worries of someone kissing my rear bumper.....

Regards,
Old 24th January 2008, 11:12   #146

have a look on this view. How many people in india worry about top speed? whare are the roads to drive more than 70kph? How many middle class and below middle class dying to buy a car to get rid of their two wheelers and trnasfer to car to take their whole family comfortably? How many people are dreaming on cars? Finally they got a great news from TATA, yes they dont need a car with luxuries such as, power steering, top speed, power windows, a/c, etc., They need a vehicle for transportation comfortably and they are going to use it for their happy occasions not for formula1 or 2.

Criticism is great but rationalism is wonderful
Old 24th January 2008, 16:05   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samya View Post
have a look on this view. How many people in india worry about top speed? whare are the roads to drive more than 70kph? How many middle class and below middle class dying to buy a car to get rid of their two wheelers and trnasfer to car to take their whole family comfortably? How many people are dreaming on cars? Finally they got a great news from TATA, yes they dont need a car with luxuries such as, power steering, top speed, power windows, a/c, etc., They need a vehicle for transportation comfortably and they are going to use it for their happy occasions not for formula1 or 2.

Criticism is great but rationalism is wonderful

I agree no one who thinks a car for transportation purposes thinks about top speed or power steering.Besides in cities like Mumbai where else except on highways can you let a car rip?
Old 24th January 2008, 21:12   #148
NIP
Senior - BHPian

err...excuse me crybabies...can someone point me to the Nano booking counter please !?
Old 4th February 2008, 21:50   #149

Tata Nano !! Sure Its thumbs up situation :-) . India has proved its Auto component strength. My brother dreamt in late 80's of Pune being Detroit its coming true !

All Tata Nano team needs to focus is value for money (Rs.100,000) Reliability, Easy service. At the same time we Indians needs to help making traffic situations better (keeping lanes, being patient for traffic jams, Elect people who would improve our infrastructure)

As an Automobile Engineer would think its not a tough task to build a car at 100,000 Rs. selling price, All it requires is every state should have a manufacturing facility. Engineering, component manufacturing, electronics, technology is driving the low cost.

All I would predict a Sales of 120,000 first year and a cumulative sales of 600,000 for another 4 years will be Tata Nano. We need to be ready to address the result of Indian low cost Engineering, design improvements, consulting jobs will make us do an V2 for Nano.

On the lines of Tata 407, estate, Indica, Ace, ...Nano.

Cheers !

Most Viewed