Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: TATA's Rs 1 lakh Car: Yes or No
It will be a new revolution and will change the way we look at small cars and their usefulness. 239 64.42%
It would create chaos and we already have enough cars and we need alternate pblic transportation 74 19.95%
Its too early to predict anything 86 23.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2007, 10:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

its not just gonna be a poor mans car. think of people who are so used to driving or wanting to learn only geared cars, for them an automatic version of this car is a boon no doubt. and most people drive sedately for whom (like elders, housewives, etc) this car will be most apt. mileage also is gonna be good even for an automatic version, so if only tata sets up dedicated service centers for such small cars (to differentiate them from cabbies) it ll do lot of good to consumers and the company in the long run. yes it will disrupt traffic a bit, but if all autos now are mandated to change to tata 1 lac car, isnt that much better in terms of speedy vehicles, compared to those sluggish three wheeled nonsenses that block everyones way and act how they want to on the road? also its a 4 people carrier, or atleast the same 3 people carrier including driver! and much cheaper than an auto itself. so in general it will be a phenomenon, but hold on, if maruti just drops the prices to < 1.5 lacs, then comes the real game.
Old 27th June 2007, 10:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

This car would create a revolution in small cities for example district headquarters. But this could also create some traffic issues in city like Mumbai. This is due to the lack of infrastructure and poor management in these cities. I have shifted to Mumbai last week end. I m travelling the Airoli-Powaii route everyday on my way to office, and one thing I have noticed is, there are trucks being allowed on city roads which I didn't expect after having been to B'lore and Hyderabad. Other thing is most of the traffic jams occur due to improper diversions due to lack of traficking personnel.
Old 27th June 2007, 10:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
yes it will disrupt traffic a bit, but if all autos now are mandated to change to tata 1 lac car, isnt that much better in terms of speedy vehicles, compared to those sluggish three wheeled nonsenses that block everyones way and act how they want to on the road?
How will it make a difference if autos are replaced by these 1 lac cars? It isnt the number of wheels that are the problem - its the mentality of the auto drivers. If the same people are going to be driving these cars, they will drive them the same way as they drive autos now.
Old 27th June 2007, 11:24   #19
BHPian

If it is indeed a one lac rupees car, its going to a big hit for sure. Whether it will create chaos ? that is secondary.
Old 27th June 2007, 11:39   #20
BHPian

I have voted a Thumbs Up as I feel that it would be a great addition to the garage for the daily trip to work and back - it would be great to drive a small automatic in bumper to bumper traffic, especially in a city like Pune with not so wide roads carrying a lot of traffic. No more of riding the clutch
Old 27th June 2007, 11:46   #21
BHPian

A couple of places where the car can play a crucial role.

1) The semi urban and rural areas would benefit owing to the cost and convinience factor. Though the cost on road would be around 1.2 or 1.4 lakhs, the improved fuel efficiency/ low maintanance costs would be the decisive factors. In these places, we would not be looking at traffic congestion am sure. Here also some amount of future planning needs to be done.

2) People in the big cities can make use of these small cars for daily commute to the office and shopping in the city. The obvious benefits would be that the small cars would occupy less space plus the benefits in point no 1.

3) In the rainy season, It's dangerous for people who commute by 2 wheelers on wet roads as I have seen accidents happen with few deaths. You dont get proper help also. The cars are relatively much safer in these circumstances i feel.

The infrastructure can be handled to an extent by proper planning and setting up IT/ Industrial zones with proper transportation facilities. The way things are at th emoment i.e, software companies/ industrial areas in residential areas are not the way to go.

It can work this way also, get the car on road and force the government to react as we know that govt only acts when it is pushed against the wall. Traffic sense needs to improve in the common man.
Old 27th June 2007, 12:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

One car model isnt going make much difference to the already chaotic Indian traffic situation. Its like: Infinite chaos + 1 = Infinite chaos

Actually, I think it can induce an improvement in the traffic situation because the vehicle mix on the road will be more homogenous.

Also, a car buyer will think twice about where he/she is gonna park the car, before going out and actually buying one..
Old 27th June 2007, 12:38   #23
BHPian

I would say disaster for India in the long term. Although in the short term things might look rosy..

And to support my statement I am providing the following links..

"People's cars" spur green nightmare fear-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Rs 1-lakh car: An open letter to Ratan Tata

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post375314

For all the people, who are blind and ignorant to their surroundings.. probably need to go back and track the nature of growth and project the future based on the history..

Enuf said..

Manish
Old 27th June 2007, 12:42   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
How will it make a difference if autos are replaced by these 1 lac cars? It isnt the number of wheels that are the problem - its the mentality of the auto drivers. If the same people are going to be driving these cars, they will drive them the same way as they drive autos now.
Ajit, the difference here would be that they wouldnt be able to sneak into any small opening they find, and also the increased turning radius will further compound their woes.

Bring it on. I humbly wish that the 3 wheeled menaces get replaced by the 1 lakh car.
Old 27th June 2007, 14:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Ajit, the difference here would be that they wouldnt be able to sneak into any small opening they find, and also the increased turning radius will further compound their woes.

Bring it on. I humbly wish that the 3 wheeled menaces get replaced by the 1 lakh car.
I agree with you, and for the same reason you have mentioned.
Old 27th June 2007, 14:09   #26
Team-BHP Support

It would make a great "second car" for people who actually need an alternate mode of transport, for example both husband wife needing car, but cannot afford to buy 2 brand new cars.
It would make a nice complement to a midsize sedan in the driveway and can be the odd jobs car.
The biggest hit will be on the Second hand market(M800).
People who have budget for M800 go for Alto by stretching it a little bit, Alto sales vis. M800 sales are the proof.
This car is for people who cannot afford to put out more than 1.5L for their first car.
The shape is kind of cute, so it may be a hit among the fairer sex who can get a car just after their first job.
Considering the safety of our roads, most women do not prefer to be on 2 wheelers after 7-8pm. This car would catch their fancy.
Old 27th June 2007, 14:26   #27
BHPian

I voted for option #1 as I think, our country does need a car ~1 LAC. We have a massive population (with families) who cant afford higher priced cars. A car like htis woul dsurely be a welcome entrant.
I have serious doubts about the quality/worthiness of the initial products, but I am sure Tata should be having the same concerns. And for sure, they are known to improce over time - case in sight being Indica.
Kudos to TATA for this!
Old 27th June 2007, 14:27   #28
Team-BHP Support

Really speaking I am skeptical as to whether the "1 lakh car" will replace the autos on the roads. Autorickshaws have some inherent advantages that this car (any car) will not be able to meet so easily.

* Autos are loaded and then overloaded. If you see those share-autos they load at least 5 passengers and many a times even 6, besides the hanging driver. This is difficult to do in an enclosed vehicle. Not a very endearing feature for any autowalah.

* Autos are much more pliable and can sneak in at the most diffiult of spaces because of that snout. A blunt faced vehicle (a car) can not do that so easily. For an auto driver that immediately translates into fewer trips and hence lesser earning.

* Autos are relatively zero maintenance when compared to any car. This is a big plus for all auto drivers/owners. Changeover to a four wheeled vehicle shoots up the costs.

* Autos are classified separately from taxis. The licensing (permit) is different for the two. Now replacing autos with four wheeled cars will mean a change in the permit type (from autos to taxis). This will face enormous blockages.
1. Taxi unions will revolt.
2. Because of the fixed quota for each type it may not be possible to grant so many taxi licenses in a city.

Last edited by Zappo : 27th June 2007 at 14:31.
Old 27th June 2007, 14:38   #29
Team-BHP Support

Zappo, valid points, all of them. But then, we are only wishing and praying here.

I would vote for the second option, but i dont blame TATA squarely for that.
Old 27th June 2007, 14:45   #30
BHPian

It will definitely be a revolution. It already is a revolution. Kudos to Tata. More people can buy cars now.. I hope it will be death knell to the rude auto rickshaws. On the flip side the roads will become more chaotic but the government is to be blamed for this...

Most Viewed