Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2022, 11:12   #46
BHPian

Re: The downside of chip shortages | Test-drive cars being sold as new

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWorld View Post
When we go for test drive we should ask showroom sales guy about where is their demo car. If the showroom doesn't have any and if they are providing customer cars for demo, i would say, do not book car from them and let them know the reason too. Because tomorrow there is very good chance that your new car will be given to next prospective customer for test drive. I have seen this from some showrooms and the reason given was showroom itself not getting demo car allocated due to supply constraints ! And they have right to test any new car for 20 to 30 km atleast ! But on the other hand, some professional showrooms had their separate demo cars specifically for test drive purpose only and can be identified from stickers and odometer reading.
I have personally witnessed this scenario at the local Mahindra dealership. I have been in the market to buy a new car since last year. So, somewhere around Oct-Nov 2021, I asked my local Mahindra dealership for a test drive of Thar. The SA casually said, why do you need a test drive? People are placing orders and the waiting is high so you should book asap. When I insisted further to have the test drive in any case, the SA asked me to come to the dealership and they will allow me to drive one in the dealership backyard. I said, I would like to take a regular test drive on the road for at least 10 kms. At that point, the SA dropped the call and never called back. Somewhere early 2022, another SA from the same dealership called and asked that I was interested in Thar. I told him yes, but I would like to have a test drive first. At that point, it was the same story again. Come and drive it in our backyard, was the answer of the SA. I tried to book a test drive from Mahindra Thar official webpage. No one ever called back. I am quite sure that the drive in the backyard would be of a customer car.

This is how some OEMs can loose interested customers.
dular is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 14:12   #47
BANNED

Though this is relevant to this thread. SC has given ruling against dealers giving TD cars as new cars (TOI cut from 9th Sep 2022)
Attached Thumbnails
The downside of chip shortages | Test-drive cars being sold as new-whatsapp-image-20220909-2.11.36-pm.jpeg  

LearnerForLife is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 20:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Recently Kerala MVD intercepted a new vehicle with tampered odometer while performing routine check up (MVD identified that the fuse was removed to prevent odometer from functioning). The associated Nissan dealership in Perinthalmanna was fined an amount of Rs. 1 lac for the offence.

sarathlal is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 14:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have received confirmed reports from a reliable source of test-drive cars being sold off as new at dealerships. 1 OEM is also well aware of this practice and is doing nothing to stop it. The number at this OEM itself has gone beyond 300 cars.

If your allotted car is a couple of months old for a fast-moving model, that's a warning sign. If the PDI shows unusual wear & tear and the lack of "freshness" we expect from a car just dispatched from the factory, that's a warning sign.
Could we get the name of the OEM? The information is of no use otherwise if we cannot prevent people from falling into this trap. It is only moral to name and shame such an OEM who is practicing this
sodapop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 16:51   #50
BHPian

This forum is praised as one of the very few unbiased and brutally honest forum. So, I'm unable to understand why the name of the OEM is not being shared even after repeated requests by fellow members. Unable to understand why it's not getting disclosed when we have been very outspoken whenever an OEM has been into any wrong practice. I feel it's not as per the standards of this forum. Don't know what's holding us back.
Bhupi_BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 12:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
Could we get the name of the OEM? The information is of no use otherwise if we cannot prevent people from falling into this trap. It is only moral to name and shame such an OEM who is practicing this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupi_BHP View Post
This forum is praised as one of the very few unbiased and brutally honest forum. So, I'm unable to understand why the name of the OEM is not being shared even after repeated requests by fellow members. Unable to understand why it's not getting disclosed when we have been very outspoken whenever an OEM has been into any wrong practice. I feel it's not as per the standards of this forum. Don't know what's holding us back.
I do not know if TBHP has concrete and irrefutable evidence of this happening. By concrete and irrefutable I mean such evidence that would stand in a court of law.

Without such evidence, any "naming and shaming" by TBHP (not its members) could be considered libel and TBHP can be sued for the same.

This is one possible reason for not naming said OEM and their associated dealer.

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2022, 10:58   #52
BHPian

If it is not possible to name that OEM directly due to legal reasons, can someone indicate the name indirectly, a hint or mention the name in a subtle way
Revvatron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 10:06   #53
BANNED

Looks like the thread is slowly dying. Is there any possibility of exposing/revealing the OEM name. Are we holding back because of any legal implications? Or the information is not fully trustworthy?
Old 23rd November 2022, 14:57   #54
BHPian

How does it work? Are there a set of cars sent to each dealer to be used specifically as only as Test Drive cars?

Or is it that once a car is dispatched by the Manufacturer to the dealer, it is up-to the dealer what they want to do with it?

If it is the latter, then the only thing missing is that while selling such a vehicle the dealer should inform the buyer and this should be stated in the contract the buyer signs when buying the car.
Old 24th November 2022, 08:20   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
How does it work? Are there a set of cars sent to each dealer to be used specifically as only as Test Drive cars?
We have come across this at many a time when a new car is launched. 'Test drive and display cars will be available on so and so dates'. So I believe there is a specific set of test drive and display cars being sent to each dealership. Here mostly these are being sold as new cars by tampering the kms driven. We have also heard previously from some people asking for suggestions on buying test drive or display cars even in our forum. In those cases, the customer is well aware of what he/she is getting into. I am still not sure what is holding the forum back to reveal the name of the OEM.
Old 25th November 2022, 13:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
So I believe there is a specific set of test drive and display cars being sent to each dealership.
Are these sent to the dealership at the manufacturers cost or the dealer's cost?
Old 25th November 2022, 14:00   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Are these sent to the dealership at the manufacturers cost or the dealer's cost?
I am not sure of that. Can someone who knows this update the process here. It would be helpful for all. I don't find any thread dealing specifically this subject.
Old 8th December 2022, 00:55   #58
BHPian

Today I did TD of Virtus at my residence. This was my second TD of Virtus from the same dealer. The earlier TD car had the same TC registration number as with the car brought for TD today.

The SA after the TD messaged me to inform that owing to year ending, if I want the same white Virtus, then the TD car can be offered to me at around ₹15 lakh. Brand new car costs approximately ₹18.50 lakh. The SA was upfront and clear about this. I further checked with her whether BH registration can be arranged for this vehicle and whether extended warranty of 4+2 can be offered by the dealership for free or cost.

She said she’ll get back to me.
Attached Thumbnails
The downside of chip shortages | Test-drive cars being sold as new-b89dbd47eed24f1f9f2ea1f30450b698.jpeg  

The downside of chip shortages | Test-drive cars being sold as new-ad03f431e7d5437da0ca4b80cc3d9d4b.jpeg  

The downside of chip shortages | Test-drive cars being sold as new-dce9cabac87445b695c5dbb1f8871b1c.jpeg  

Old 8th December 2022, 10:03   #59
BHPian

Quote:
About 6 years back I happened to see an invoice of Honda for one of its dealers. It had billed 5-6 cars and one Test Drive car. The TD car was billed at significantly low price as compared to other cars. So I think the TD cars have investment of both, the car OEM and the dealer.
speed79 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 10:22   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, please please run a VIN check & thorough PDI of your new car before it's registered in your name.

Have received confirmed reports from a reliable source of test-drive cars being sold off as new at dealerships. 1 OEM is also well aware of this practice and is doing nothing to stop it. The number at this OEM itself has gone beyond 300 cars.

If your allotted car is a couple of months old for a fast-moving model, that's a warning sign. If the PDI shows unusual wear & tear and the lack of "freshness" we expect from a car just dispatched from the factory, that's a warning sign.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!
Hi gto, this process is very true. When I bought Tata Tiago in 2017, the dealership gave me a test drive vehicle with about 200 km on the odo, after accepting the delivery of the car and driving it for a couple of km I got to learn that the drive chain is also disconnected which unveils that car had run more than 200 km on the odo.
At that time I was not familiar with this practice and I didn't have a team bhp PDI list so I became a victim of this. I kept Tiago for 4 years and the car had rattling problems throughout its life.
vattyboy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks