Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2004, 20:25   #1

Hey Guys,

Can you all please give me your inputs comparing Opel Sail 1.6 and Palio/Petra ?

GM Vs. Fiat in Europe it is always GM to win but India is different. We have the record of rejecting the European quality products and asking for our own different quality products. Fiat cars might have come to meet our requirements, so how would you compare opels product.

Cheers

Shamish
Old 8th June 2004, 02:09   #2
BHPian

I find the opels interiors crammed when compared to the palios. I dont see too many of them on the road, so i think they r not really that much vfm. Also the mileage will be compareable to that of the palio. Corsa was made for europe and then adapted to asian and south american markets. Whereas the palio and siena were made especially for the latter 2.
Old 8th June 2004, 05:31   #3
RJK
Senior - BHPian

between palio & corsa it has to be the palio..better car..more VFM..less expensive spares..more room in the car..both are sturdy as hell. Plus corsa is a really very old model...outdated internationally..mileage would be similar on both. Wouldn't be surprised if corsa gave slightly less mileage.
Old 8th June 2004, 11:41   #4
BHPian

Palio - VFM over Sail, Poor A.S.S., Spacious

Sail - Best Shock absorbers in the town(in the segment), Opel Brand Name, Good A.S.S, Expensive Spares

2f2f
Old 8th June 2004, 12:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rjkulkarni @ June 08 2004,04:01)]Plus corsa is a really very old model...outdated internationally.
Dear rjkulkarani,

Corsa is not a outdated model internationally. It is still one of the top models in European countries. I am currently in UK and studying the companies because I wasn't much into cars.
Thats how I could tell you that Fiat is not doing well in these contries and having a tough time to keep the B segment cars going into the markets. Only rich people buy top models of Fiat and then get rid of it for much lower price within 2 years. Buying and selling isn't very diffficult like India because of the easy loans and buyers in the market.

Whereas Opel (GM) cars are holding a good market. They are costly but very good and realiable cars, less problems. The second hand market is good for Opel.

Cheers

Shamish
Old 8th June 2004, 12:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (shamishchandras @ June 08 2004,11:13)]Corsa is not a outdated model internationally. It is still one of the top models in European countries.
The Corsa we get is outdated - it was launched in 1993 and was discontinued in 2000 in Europe
Old 8th June 2004, 13:27   #7
BHPian

I visited GM and Fiat showrooms recently for exploring upgrade of my existing car . Here are my observations :

Corsa /Corsa Sail : I found the The seating height to be *low . even the front legroom is low and feels cramped for taller people. I think the biggest drawback is the car feels smaller both inside and outside , compared to other cars in the same segment . But if you are ok with the constraints , GM has lot of discounts on offer for both these cars.

Palio : Interior is definitely more spacious , though feels a little dated. I hear fiat only has the 1.2 L engine offer for now , which can be sluggish but adequate for city driving.

Petra : I did get a peek at this car and with the reduced price of about 5.3 lacs on road , it is great VFM.
The car looks very pleasing from outside ( a palio with a boot !) . they rear seat felt a little more comfortable compared to the siena. Having said that interiors still look a little dated. the best part is the familiar 1.6 L engine whipping out 100 bhp that made the palio 1.6 GTS the hottest hatch !

-Beetle

Most Viewed