Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2022, 21:56   #46

re: Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
If I were that rich and affluent as Cyrus, I would have never taken a car to travel between Ahmedabad to Mumbai. I would have easily taken a chopper or a plane ride for this travel. Cyrus, given the wealth at his disposal, seems to be a humble human! RIP
Yes, it seems he led a normal life eschewing the frills of a billionaire. However, no one can beat destiny. Even if he had taken a chopper, it may have crashed (Kobe Bryant and CDS Rawat are recent cases).
jsriram is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 22:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

RIP Cyrus Mistry.

Here he will be remembered as a humble yet passionate genius who's hands-on approach led the transformation & turn around of Tata Motors with (Late) Karl Slym at its helm.

He was a business leader whose life & management skills people would do well to learn from.

The stint & subsequent (IMO undeserved) unceremonious exit from Tata Group is actually a very small part of his career.

For the short uncertain amount of time one is on earth, we MUST contribute our knowledge & push people to have prudent courage in their pursuits, Nationality, Race, Ethnicity, Gender notwithstanding. If you can teach something important to ANY living creature, do it.

There can be many factors including limitations of drivers cognitive skills with tough/tricky road conditions, limitations of body structure of a car itself despite its safety devices.

I've heard that business leaders of such stature are disallowed to drive themself, or being driven by untrained individuals, or even things like taking flights at night. But ofcourse, we know since the days Cyrus Mistry used to drive the Manza to office (to understand how it can be further improved), so he definitely was a candidly hands-on guy. He likely wouldn't have objected to the lady driving them all.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 4th September 2022 at 22:17.
GrammarNazi is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 22:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
If I were that rich and affluent as Cyrus, I would have never taken a car to travel between Ahmedabad to Mumbai. I would have easily taken a chopper or a plane ride for this travel. Cyrus, given the wealth at his disposal, seems to be a humble human! RIP
Its not about wealth or business, he was probably on a road trip with friends. Enjoying the scenery and taking a break from his daily life.
Black_Star is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 22:09   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got news from friends in the medical community via Rainbow hospital, Vapi, that Dr Anahita, the driver, has suffered a hip fracture and some injury to the thoracic area and her husband Darius Pandole was suffered a broken jaw that obstructed his air pipe. Both are expected to recover fully. The bodies of Cyrus Mistry and Jehangir, the two deceased, will be brought to Mumbai JJ Hospital tonight for a post mortem.

I agree with Member Condor's assessment this could be caused by rear passenger not wearing the seat belt, an almost universal feature in India.

A sordid reminder of how life can change in a moment.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 4th September 2022 at 22:16.
V.Narayan is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 22:24   #50
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Ex Tata Group honcho, Cyrus Mistry and another gentleman pass away in a crash on NH48 in Palghar District.

- The car involved, a Mercedes GLC seems to have taken impact the way it should.
- Front occupants have survived the crash.
- High possibility of deceased occupants, who sat in the back not wearing seat belts.
- This stretch of road has become a death trap with inconsistent design and pathetic road condition.

Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-fb76fc0c05114b6289c14688bfc6ac26.jpeg

Name:  97C6B7F6B1364B03B0D8518B3094CDC4.jpeg
Views: 773
Size:  32.6 KB

Last edited by ADI7YAK : 4th September 2022 at 22:25. Reason: Context.
Old 4th September 2022, 22:39   #51
e46
BHPian

A very tragic news, could not believe the first time I heard it. RIP.

Initially, I could not fathom two rear passengers succumbing to the accident, when the vehicle had full frontal impact with no visible damages to rear or sides. Rear seat belts, not being worn, seem to be true with whiplash and front seat impact occurring.

Drive safe.
Old 4th September 2022, 22:59   #52
BHPian

Reminds me of Gopinath Munde's accident due to not wearing seatbelt in the rear.
A very tragic event. Om shanti!
eyedocgb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 23:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Some news reports are claiming that initial cops and eyewitness reports suggest driver tried overtaking from the wrong side and ended up hitting the concrete wall at high speeds. The vehicle was reportedly travelling at high speeds passing vehicles along the way before that.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 23:46   #54
BHPian

May his soul RIP. Just out of curiosity, based on this picture I can see the vehicles moving in the other lane is in same direction as this car's accident impact direction. Was the car driven in wrong way or traffic was diverted?
Attached Thumbnails
Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-20220904_164954.jpg  

Old 4th September 2022, 23:51   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
RIP, Cyrus Mistry! Could this accident be because of cruise control at high speed with the driver error compounded. ...
Doubt it very much, and agree with the focussing of the conversation on seat belts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
I could not fathom two rear passengers succumbing to the accident, when the vehicle had full frontal impact with no visible damages to rear or sides.
Do please remember that rear-seat passengers are also travelling at the same speed as the car, and are in as much danger as those in the front seats.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 23:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
I can see the vehicles moving in the other lane is in same direction as this car's accident impact direction. Was the car driven in wrong way or traffic was diverted?
There are two roads (bridges) towards one side and 1 road (bridge) on the opposite side.

Shown here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5394299

Looks like a minor distraction at high speeds that caused this tragedy. There isn’t any shoulders or margin to compensate and forgive that error.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th September 2022 at 00:06. Reason: As requested
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 00:24   #57
BHPian

Very tragic indeed. I know Darius professionally and, although I never met with Mr. Mistry, we had some common friends and acquaintances. Here is a brief summary of the messages I have received so far (they might answer some of the questions asked earlier and/or corroborate some of the information already posted here):

Darius' wife Dr. Anahita Pandole was driving the Mercedes GLC with Darius in the front passenger seat. They both had their seatbelts on. Mr. Mistry and Darius' brother Jahangir Pandole were in the back seat. Unfortunately neither of them had belted up.

The four of them were returning from Udvada, the site of the most sacred of the Zoroastrian fire temples in India and the oldest continuously burning fire-temple fire in India.

The accident reportedly took place on the Surya River Charoti bridge on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad National Highway when the car reportedly hit the divider. The police have filed an Accidental Death Report as is the norm in such cases.

Out of respect for the privacy of those involved and their families I don't wish to post some of the more disturbing pictures or details of the medical condition of the survivors here, but suffice it to say that current reports state that both Darius and Dr. Pandole are admitted to Rainbow Hospital and are stable. Their condition will be monitored overnight, and they do not need to be airlifted as of now.

The mortal remains of Mr. Mistry and Jahangir Pandole (may their souls Rest In Peace) are being taken directly to JJ Hospital in Mumbai for post mortem. I am unable to upload a video of the vehicle, but here are some of the pictures I have received:

Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-whatsapp-image-20220904-11.20.29-pm.jpeg

Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-whatsapp-image-20220904-11.20.30-pm.jpeg

Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-whatsapp-image-20220904-11.20.32-pm-1.jpeg

Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-whatsapp-image-20220904-11.20.32-pm.jpeg

It is high time all of us (I mean Indians generally, not Team BHP-ians) started taking back seat safety seriously. I fail to understand why anybody would travel by car on a highway without putting on their seatbelts, irrespective of whether they are in the front seat or the back...
Hawkeye269 is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 00:38   #58
BHPian

May the departed Souls RIP and the injured recover soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I agree with Member Condor's assessment this could be caused by rear passenger not wearing the seat belt, an almost universal feature in India.

A sordid reminder of how life can change in a moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
It is high time all of us (I mean Indians generally, not Team BHP-ians) started taking back seat safety seriously. I fail to understand why anybody would travel by car on a highway without putting on their seatbelts, irrespective of whether they are in the front seat or the back...
Rear-seat passengers wearing the seatbelt is simply the rarest of the rare etiquette followed not just in India but globally. Of-course my statement is based on observations and not data.

Only mass reporting of such incidents (and the reason) and some campaigns by authorities who have the reach can increase this practice.

OT: I am myself guilty of ignoring this aspect for rear seat passengers in my car. However, I have used it when travelling in rear seat and finding the driver's driving a bit risky than what I would want it to be. So yes, perhaps now I will insists my rear seat passengers to wear the same.
sunilch is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 00:42   #59

I have driven in this stretch a multiple times. Let me explain what I meant earlier.

The highway is 3 laned. Suddenly, in couple of places, it splits into 2 bridges of 2 lanes each. Have given a representative diagram below.

If one is travelling in lane 1 or lane 2, absolutely no issues. The split of the 3 laned NH into 2 bridges causes no discomfort at all.

But let us taken an example where lane 1 and 2 are occupied by heavy vehicles (this stretch has heavy truck traffic). If one were to overtake using the lane 3, i.e. leftmost lane (marked as * in the diagram), one would be at a much higher speed than the rest of the vehicles. Also, if the road is slightly inward curving, visibility ahead is limited but one doesn't expect the lane to abruptly modify. Normally, the tendency is to overtake and come back to the middle lane. And now all of a sudden, the road splits into 2, with the driver having to decide which way to go amidst the overtake. There can be a momentary spatial disorientation (confusion in mind that you have entered into an oncoming lane, where the hell has my lane gone etc.). The decision has to be taken in a flash of a second given that one is already at high speed. This can be quite unnerving for a driver who is not familiar with the road and encounters such a scenario suddenly.

I myself have experienced this the first time I travelled on this stretch. I have always felt that this needed some solutions in the form of extra signages, rumblers, flashing lights etc. This accident, has just rekindled my nightmare when I first drove on lane 3 in that stretch.

Disclaimer: The above may or may not be true of this accident. Just sharing the above for the benefit of members who drive in this stretch, to enable them to take preventive action.
Attached Thumbnails
Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-3-lanes.jpg  

ts75 is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 01:01   #60
BHPian

We Indians have this peculiar habit of not wearing seatbelts. Is it some kind of mass delusion or what, no one knows. In my car the moment I see that the rear seatbelt is off (warning sign on the dash), i simply slow down and stop the car on the edge of the road. The car moves only after the culprit has refastened his/her seatbelt.
The most common excuse of removing the seatbelt or refusing to wear it? Suffocation. I guess most Indians are fat so the seatbelt sort of digs into them making them feel trapped or something.
AirbusCapt is offline   (18) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed