Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2022, 15:07   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door to get older K15B petrol engine.

Name:  20221209011735_jimRed1.png
Views: 1715
Size:  282.8 KB

- Jimny 5-door will have Suzuki’s All Grip Pro 4WD tech

- K15B engine likely to get mild-hybrid tech

- Two gearbox options will be on offer, five speed manual and four-speed automatic.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 9th December 2022 at 15:09.
Venkatesh is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 15:39   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door to get older K15B petrol engine...- Two gearbox options will be on offer, five speed manual and four-speed automatic.
What the heck!!!

Not worried about the K15B engine, but the 4 speed auto still? With the tightening emission standards in Europe making it impossible for them to sell the Jimny as a private vehicle, thought they might use this oppportunity to make changes.
DicKy is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 17:48   #288
BHPian

Here’s a video of the 3-door Jimny with a 4-speed automatic gearbox towing an 875KG camper trailer at 110KM/H. According to the owner, the vehicle had no problem cruising at that speed while towing such a heavy weight. He mentioned that the vehicle struggled a bit while going uphills but he was able to tackle that by dropping a gear.

Looking at this video, the Jimny, although less powerful compared to many other off-road vehicles, seems to have enough grunt to do most of the tasks without any issues, even with the old 4-speed automatic gearbox. If it can go at 110 KM/H while towing 875 KG, I think it can do every task that it is intended to do without any issues.

Do I want more power? Of course, I do. Who doesn't want more power? But do I need more power? Nope. More importantly, Jimny already offers a lot of things for its expected price of around ₹18,00,000, including 5 doors, a proper 4WD system, a proven drivetrain, all the basic features, and excellent fit and finish. I don't expect it to offer more power too.

Yes, the 4-speed gearbox won’t be as fun to drive on the highway as a 6-speed torque convert unit but then Jimny isn’t meant to be a fun-to-drive highway vehicle. It is intended to tackle off-road and it does that very well with the 4-speed AT. I also think that it would drive decently well in the city, and I say this from experience. I test-drove the Ciaz AT in the city and it was fine.

Moreover, you can lock this 4-speed AT gearbox in 1st or 2nd gear, and you can also drive the car in 3-gear mode by turning off the overdrive (OD) mode. Being able to hold a gear helps a lot in off-road conditions. Yes, I wish that the Jimny came with a 6-speed gearbox but then I’m not sure if it would’ve had the option to lock the gearbox in 1st and 2nd gear, which is crucial for an off-roader.

If you can search YouTube for the 3-door Jimny AT going off-road, you'll surely be impressed with what it can achieve with that engine and gearbox, especially for the price of the vehicle. But then again, everyone has different needs and different points of view. While I think that this engine and gearbox combo is satisfactory, some people might not like it.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 17:59   #289
BHPian

Honestly I am not shocked to see the 4 Speed AT and I predicted this as well. It does the job, the ATF can be replaced easily, Good documentation available and it enough for the Jimny. Deal is sealed. 6 speed had been better in other aspects but 4 speed is fine as well.
Trust me this engine and gearbox combo can outlive the 15 year term which cannot be said about the 6 speed AT.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 9th December 2022 at 18:00.
purohitanuj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 18:44   #290
BHPian

If i'm not wrong, i remember to read Suzuki used the 4 speed AT, because there was no space for something bigger into the Jimny chassis

The new 5 door Jimny is just a longer chassis, but they didn't moved the main elements of transmission, so with the transfer case in the same spot, you didn't got more space to mount a different gearbox, they got to keep mounting what they got
Old 9th December 2022, 18:57   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post
If i'm not wrong, i remember to read Suzuki used the 4 speed AT, because there was no space for something bigger into the Jimny chassis

The new 5 door Jimny is just a longer chassis, but they didn't moved the main elements of transmission, so with the transfer case in the same spot, you didn't got more space to mount a different gearbox, they got to keep mounting what they got
They dont have any other AT gearbox mounted in rearwheel drive layout.
purohitanuj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 21:25   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door to get older K15B petrol engine.

Attachment 2388303

- Jimny 5-door will have Suzuki’s All Grip Pro 4WD tech

- K15B engine likely to get mild-hybrid tech

- Two gearbox options will be on offer, five speed manual and four-speed automatic.

Source
Grrr. There goes my Jimny dream out of the window

I am an auto convert now, and won’t likely consider manual anymore. At the same time, I am not prepared to spend top dollar (as we all expect it to be) on a 4 speed auto that was designed in the world war era!!
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 07:08   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Grrr. There goes my Jimny dream out of the window

I am an auto convert now, and won’t likely consider manual anymore. At the same time, I am not prepared to spend top dollar (as we all expect it to be) on a 4 speed auto that was designed in the world war era!!
It is not that bad. If you drive till 100-110 it is fine. This 4 speed gearbox gives you much more control as you can lock in 1,1-2,1-3 and have ATF fill and drain ports to change ATF. The ATF is also pretty cheap - Dexron 3. Jimny is a non nonsense ladder frame 4WD car with reliability. This gearbox does that.
purohitanuj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 08:04   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Baleno based crossover launch by April 2023, Jimny 5-door by August.

Both models are expected to be shown in production form at the upcoming Auto Expo 2023 in January.

Name:  20221209052808_Untitled.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  73.3 KB

- Maruti Suzuki will take the wraps off not one but two all-new models at the upcoming Auto Expo 2023, which starts on January 11 in New Delhi.

- Baleno-based crossover will get 1.0-litre Boosterjet engine.

- Both models will be sold via Nexa outlets.

- Key reason why the Jimny 5-door won’t come sooner, is due to Maruti's plans to position the SUV as more of a lifestyle vehicle with proper off-road gear..Means the brand would time the launch of the Jimny 5-door just before or during monsoon season, which is also known as the off-road season among enthusiasts.

- Jimny 5-door for the domestic and well as international markets will be manufactured only in India.

- Essentially the Baleno Cross will be the production version of the Maruti Futuro E Concept from the last Auto Expo.

- Will also mark the return of the 1.0-litre turbo-petrol Boosterjet engine.

- The most expensive Maruti's product will also come in 2023, an all-new three-row MPV that will be supplied by Toyota and will be based on the recently unveiled Innova Hycross.

- Price announcement and market launch for the Maruti's Innova Hycross-based C-MPV will most likely take place in the festive season of 2023, after the Jimny 5-door's launch.

- Additionally, the next Gen. Swift and Dzire will debut in 2024.Both models will be all-new and will feature strong hybrid powertrain.

Link source

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th December 2022 at 09:03. Reason: As requested
volkman10 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 10:02   #295
Senior - BHPian

The decision to go with the K15B makes sense from a positioning perspective.

- Performance & Suitability : Even on the forum its considered to be better than the K15C for any spirited usage.
Leoshashi has explained it well.
The K15B will be much better suited to the usage the Jimny will be put to which is the light lifestyle off roader. It isn't intended for high speed cruising on the highways.
Deriving from the S-Cross, the 4AT will be better suited and more FTD in the Jimny, IMHO.

- Cost : The K15C - 6AT combination is way more expensive than the K15B - 4AT. This would've prevented them from positioning the car within their target price range.

- Fuel Efficiency : The slightly lower FE on the K15B - 4AT wouldn't be a concern on a lifestyle off roader.

- Sales : The intention, as expected, seems to make it the best selling lifestyle off roader wherever they launch and the entire package would make sense once they get out of the specsheet into the real life.

Last edited by shancz : 10th December 2022 at 10:07. Reason: cl
shancz is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 10:26   #296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

- Key reason why the Jimny 5-door won’t come sooner, is due to Maruti's plans to position the SUV as more of a lifestyle vehicle with proper off-road gear..Means the brand would time the launch of the Jimny 5-door just before or during monsoon season, which is also known as the off-road season among enthusiasts.
Their target demographic would probably prefer to get their cars well in advance of the 'season' so it can actually be enjoyed at that time, instead of watching media reviews on YouTube.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 11:25   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Their target demographic would probably prefer to get their cars well in advance of the 'season' so it can actually be enjoyed at that time, instead of watching media reviews on YouTube.
Precisely. Also August launch will mean that 5 door thar would be nearby which would again hold the purchase as it would make sense to wait 2-3 months thereafter. I think apt launch should be near Feb 2023/March 2023
purohitanuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 12:25   #298
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
The decision to go with the K15B makes sense from a positioning perspective.

- [
- Sales : The intention, as expected, seems to make it the best selling lifestyle off roader wherever they launch and the entire package would make sense once they get out of the specsheet into the real life.
I think your reasoning is spot on. Maruti will play this game well. They will ride the hype smartly despite the impression they create about themselves as a bunch of bureaucratic fuddy duddies.
With this, many people who perhaps could not accept Maruti’s bid to go ‘upmarket’ with their Kizashi and S Cross offerings, will be more amenable to this Jimny.
Some credit is also due to Mahindra, who have shown clearly, that the Indian Market is maturing quite quickly and lifestyle oriented, leisure off road vehicles are a fast growing niche. They have suddenly ‘democratised’ the ‘off road life’.

Cant wait for the Jimny. It will be a good offering.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 15:54   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Also August launch will mean that 5 door thar would be nearby
If the ‘fastest finger first’ contest of 5 door Thar is in June or so, then gone in 30 sec would be some potential Jimny customers.
IB290 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 17:16   #300
BHPian

All said and done this engine + gearbox combo has proven it mettle in some of the trickiest off road situations. There are numerous videos on YouTube by serious off-roaders who themselves were surprised by its capability.

In my opinion for anyone new getting into off roading the auto box is recommended over the manual for its ease of use and forgiving nature.

For highway sprinting @120Kph this is no match or replacement for Thar or any other SUV but for narrow winding roads of Uttarakhand this will be the true Goat and will be unmatched in its ability.

Bring it on Maruti its been a long wait already!!
Zanskar is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks