Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2022, 10:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I wish manufacturers would stop treating 4x4 enthusiasts as second grade customers. Those idiots at Tata could have sold a 4x4 XTA Hexa or those fools at Ford could have brought over Kuga AWD.

But no, everyone wants fake SUVs with gizmos and phone apps.
Bottom line: Smartphone haath mein achhe lagten hain, road pe nahi...
None of them are idiots or fools. It is just the wishful thinking of handful of car enthusiasts that 4x4 options should have been there in otherwise capable or good SUVs in market; 4x4 or good AWD+AT should be offered as a variant or HEXA should have been continued.

Lots of brainstorming go into a model variant and features spread, costing exercise and profit margin finalization for a product for which thousands of crores are at stake.

And sales figures of Tata, Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai/ Kia, Mahindra SUVs say they are almost correct for their flagships/ market leader models.

Business means making profits for the stakeholders. Marking them idiots or fools is easy; understanding the pains behind such decisions is not!
RijuC is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 10:56   #32
BHPian

Ah, so the mules have finally been spotted. I hope it gets the 1.4 Boosterjet as an option at least else I don't really expect it to be very enjoyable to drive.
tanbeamer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 11:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbeamer View Post
Ah, so the mules have finally been spotted. I hope it gets the 1.4 Boosterjet as an option at least else I don't really expect it to be very enjoyable to drive.
Sorry to say but the K15C motor has been confirmed as the engine of choice in this variant , however it may be wishful thinking but Maruti should at least make the jimny 3950 mm long or even longer than 4 m to make it spacious .
drift2race is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 11:45   #34
BHPian

Recently I drove both the XL6 and new Brezza AT variants. I found XL6 to be very laggy and Brezza was comparatively quicker while overtaking in a short notice or on hard acceleration. Probably the compact size of the Brezza helps in better performance.

Hence I assume a more compact footprint, size of the Jimny 5 door would be more advantageous than longer & bigger dimensions with that K15C engine. At 3850 mm length, it would be exactly same like my Swift of earlier generation. With thinner seats and upright sitting stance the inside space would be better than the Swift. Yes, the bootspace will be tiny, but enough for 7 days luggage in summer time for 2 persons.

Shall I cancel my bookings for Scorpio N and GV AT variants for this Jimny? No, unless there is any concrete news of AT being offered for Jimny 4x4. AT is a non-negotiable and primary requirement for me.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 11:46   #35
BANNED

Jimny is known worldwide for its small size and light weight. This 5 door is not only for the Indian Market and will be exported and will be sold in the same markets as the 3 door. So making it longer than 4 meters will make it look too long and big, and it might lose its USP. So my guess is the 5 door version will still be overall shorter to stay true to its roots.

Personally, I also wish it, not to look too different from the 3-door exterior-size-wise as the 3-door proportions are spot on.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th September 2022 at 06:42. Reason: Typos
tarmacnaut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 11:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Hence I assume a more compact footprint, size of the Jimny 5 door would be more advantageous than longer & bigger dimensions with that K15C engine. At 3850 mm length, it would be exactly same like my Swift of earlier generation. With thinner seats and upright sitting stance the inside space would be better than the Swift. Yes, the bootspace will be tiny, but enough for 7 days luggage in summer time for 2 persons.

Shall I cancel my bookings for Scorpio N and GV AT variants for this Jimny? No, unless there is any concrete news of AT being offered for Jimny 4x4. AT is a non-negotiable and primary requirement for me.
But not to forget, Jimny is a Body on Frame vehicle where as XL6, Brezza or Swift is monocoque. So, Body on frame Jimny will be heavier compared to the monocoques. Although K15C will be just about adequate in the Jimny 5 door for its un-aerodynamic shape and purpose. Bootspace wise, After owning a Thar, anything bigger than the Thar's boot space will make me happy

I am in the same situation. Have a ScorpioN Z4 D AT booked at introductory price and a Grand Vitara Zeta AT mild Hybrid. Looking at the pricing, Grand Vitara is most likely to get canceled. But if any concrete news on Jimny 5 door, I might go ahead with the Jimny 4x4 AT over the Scorpio-N RWD Z4 D AT.
But timelines are a bit too close for comfort.
Nexa guys told about a waiting period of 4-5 months on the Grand Vitara, and they have about 40 bookings, ScorpioN delivery as per the website is in between 10th January to 9th February 2023.
And Jimny 5 door to be unveiled at AutoExpo 2023 (Don't know the dates though)

dr_TJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:37   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
And Jimny 5 door to be unveiled at AutoExpo 2023 (Don't know the dates though)
According to the www.autoexpo.in website:

Quote:
Auto Expo 2023 - Vehicles from 13-18 January at India Expo Mart, Greater Noida, UP, INDIA and
Auto Expo 2023 - Components from 12-15 January at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi, INDIA.
https://www.autoexpo.in/components-s...ouncement.aspx
bobbyblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:45   #38
BHPian

Come on Maruti, launch it soon. I will straight away book it as my 3rd car, I won't care what my family says, what my financials are, I will simply buy it.
DrivingNirvana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:58   #39
BHPian

Pros (comparing to Thar) could be:

1. MSIL's reliability, low ownership cost, ASS and relatively low niggles experience
2. Cute shape, a novelty factor, proven off road abilities
3. Can be well used as a city car, more women friendly, parking ease
4. Price if they put it sensibly

Cons (comparing to Thar) could be:

1. Macho road presence and life style legacy attached to THAR name
2. Better powertrain combinations options: Mhawk/Mstallion, MT/AT- more torque helps in off-roading sessions
3. Price if MSIL do some mess up. A significantly more powerful and butch Thar may not be too far away in economics.
UD17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 13:03   #40
BHPian

This is one car for which we have waited since eternity now. This will be a rage upon its launch if the pricing is done properly. If Maruti brings the 3 door version it might be that the forces would get the best replacement for the age old Gypsy's. 3 Door for the forces and 5 door for civilians. Its already a hit before launch. Go ahead and launch it Maruti.
sdg4wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 14:00   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to BHPian docted for sharing these images that were clicked by Mr. Mohit of Delhi-NCR Jeep group.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-img_20220913_135111.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-img_20220913_135022.jpg

Name:  IMG_20220913_134917.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  120.2 KB

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-img_20220913_134711.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 15:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Thanks to BHPian docted for sharing these images that were clicked by Mr. Mohit of Delhi-NCR Jeep group.
That seriously looks like a proper G-Wagen in the last shot! Plus, I'm damn sure Karol Bagh people might've already started working on G63 and Brabus kits for this lil thing!

That said, I'm actually quite happy with how these cool SUVs are getting a rebirth in India! Really excited to see this compete with the desi G-Wagen a.k.a. Gurkha 5-door and the Wrangler a.k.a. Thar 5-door!
theAutomaniac is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 16:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

One more picture of the Jimny 5-door version.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-smartselect_20220913162052_instagram.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-20220913_160323.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th September 2022 at 16:23.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 16:13   #44
BHPian

The window on the second row door looks like a patchy job, and may spoil the appearance and usability.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 13th September 2022 at 16:16.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 16:15   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

And a closet view from the front:

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-capture.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th September 2022 at 16:37.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks