Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2022, 15:16   #61
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Share the original link as well. (If Available)
I guess these are screenshots of a reel or YouTube shorts.
One of my friend send me these screenshots. So I don't have the original source link or that video.
iamnvn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 19:10   #62
BHPian

Wow that was quick from Maruti! Finally, something worthy that I can bet my money on and quench my SUV thirst. Looking forward to an AMT offering.
Old 14th September 2022, 20:21   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
. My question is, can the Jimmy meet or exceed what is demonstrated in the following video, essentially a home grown product quite a few years back?
Having had both the discussed vehicles (Gurkha and 3 door jimny) over the same obstacles offroad at my track I confidently say that it can exceed the demonstration in my books.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 20:32   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnvn View Post
Here are some more shots. They are not clear but they can give a good idea about its proportions
Quote:
Share the original link as well. (If Available)
I guess these are screenshots of a reel or YouTube shorts.
Looks like many people are seeing the car on the streets.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th September 2022 at 06:28. Reason: Grammar
wacso is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 12:11   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Another shot of the Jimny for India and the rest of the world:

The most awaited Global launch from Suzuki in 2023. Likely to be exported from India for the rest of the world except Japan.

Quote:
Looks quite sizeable from this angle
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-capture.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th September 2022 at 12:18.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 21:31   #66
Senior - BHPian

Exciting times! I wonder if Indian Army will bring these in their fold to finally have a spiritual successor to Gypsy?
Old 15th September 2022, 23:13   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Exciting times! I wonder if Indian Army will bring these in their fold to finally have a spiritual successor to Gypsy?
They do have tender for light general purpose transport vehicles for all three of the armed forces in the 700kg to 900kg category, 4x4. So that rules out all the Mahindra, Tata and the Jimny.

Basically they want a gypsy which fits the weight criteria but with a turbo engine, with diff lock, which can seat 3 people in second row and another jump seat further back to seat 2 more.
https://indianarmy.nic.in/writereadd...ST19052022.pdf
DIY410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 23:35   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
They do have tender for light general purpose transport vehicles for all three of the armed forces in the 700kg to 900kg category, 4x4. So that rules out all the Mahindra, Tata and the Jimny.

Basically they want a gypsy which fits the weight criteria but with a turbo engine, with diff lock, which can seat 3 people in second row and another jump seat further back to seat 2 more.
A 700-900 kg kerb weight of vehicle to carry a payload of 700-900 kg as per the Technical requirements table of this RFI document. Is it possible technically? Or does this 700-900 kg category mean a vehicle capable of carrying this much of load?

Last edited by RijuC : 15th September 2022 at 23:51.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 23:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
A 700-900 kg kerb weight of vehicle to carry a payload of 700-900 kg as per the Technical requirements table this RFI document. Is it possible technically? Or does this 700-900 kg category mean a vehicle capable of carrying this much of load?
Kerb weight of the vehicle, this vehicle is for carrying armed forces personal. It has to be light weight like the gypsy.
Old 16th September 2022, 00:06   #70
BHPian

Quote:

So they are looking for something like General Dynamics Flyer LSV, but smaller? I mean even even without doors and armor Flyer LSV weights more than 2 tons.

TBH its possible with Jimny LWB, but even that would need extensive changes and possibly no doors.

Name:  4Flyer72GMVArmy9paxinbrush.png
Views: 693
Size:  655.9 KB
Old 16th September 2022, 00:19   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
So they are looking for something like General Dynamics Flyer LSV, but smaller? I mean even even without doors and armor Flyer LSV weights more than 2 tons.

TBH its possible with Jimny LWB, but even that would need extensive changes and possibly no doors.
They mention hard top vehicle for high altitude, snow region, desert. So yes a Jimny without doors may bring the weight down by more then 100kg.
Old 16th September 2022, 01:57   #72
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
A long lost dream of owning a Jimny, this time, hope this launch news is for real.
Any proper information of its launch, I will surely convert my Grand Vitara booking to Jimny 5 door Booking.

Problem is, my ScorpioN delivery date is in between 10th January to 9th February 2023.
Atleast some proper news towards the end of year will help me make a decision.

Right now, I am just waiting to see the Grand Vitara in the Nexa Showroom to check its presence and Test drive if possible.
High probability for me canceling Grand Vitara booking.

Hope Maruti Suzuki launches 4x4 AT combination, and hopefully the 6 speed AT with Paddle Shifters.
I'm in the exact same dilemma. My Scorpio N delivery date is in the same period too..

The videos show a long wheelbase relative to the height, which combined with the high profile tyres should improve the ride quality even considering the ladder frame. The height seems to be at par with most compact SUVs, except for the Bolero Neo/TUV. You can't ever accurately size up a car with thick camo like this (which is kind of the point, I guess), but it still seems much better proportioned than the bad initial fan renderings, with a slightly smaller front door (I feel) than the 3 door model, and an almost equally sized rear door. I think the rear overhang is a bit more as well.

It's evident that the thick cladding on the fenders is retained, at least on this model, as well as the projector headlamps and the alloy wheels.

Before considering this as an only car, we should consider that it has live solid axles front and rear, as well as recirculating ball steering with almost 4 turns lock to lock. Which basically means that it isn't going to be the city runabout it should be, especially the longer 5 door variant. Unless of course, the 5 door version has been re engineered to be more than a pure off roader, with a quicker steering and softer suspension.

Even the Thar has independent front suspension and a rack and pinion steering which makes it a lot easier to drive around in the city and gives it good high speed behaviour and handling. While purists should love the Jimny for the solid axle and slow steering, it would be a much different experience from a regular car or CSUV for someone who wants to upgrade. Older Jeeps and Gypsys used to come with recirculating ball steering, if you need a reference point.

The tyres are the same relatively narrow ones seen on the 3 door, which should be 195/80R15 or 205/70R15. That should be OK for the power and weight class, but the original Jimny reviews say that grip isn't great. Perhaps the increased weight would help.

I don't think this will be a competitively priced car. Since this has 5 doors, MSIL is likely to price it in the same range as the Thar, probably in the Creta price range.

Last edited by vivekgk : 16th September 2022 at 02:01.
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 08:43   #73
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I'm in the exact same dilemma. My Scorpio N delivery date is in the same period too..

Before considering this as an only car, we should consider that it has live solid axles front and rear, as well as recirculating ball steering with almost 4 turns lock to lock. Which basically means that it isn't going to be the city runabout it should be, especially the longer 5 door variant.
Older Jeeps and Gypsys used to come with recirculating ball steering, if you need a reference point.
The tyres are the same relatively narrow ones seen on the 3 door, which should be 195/80R15 or 205/70R15. That should be OK for the power and weight class, but the original Jimny reviews say that grip isn't great.
I don't think this will be a competitively priced car. Since this has 5 doors, MSIL is likely to price it in the same range as the Thar, probably in the Creta price range.
The OEM tyres in the 3 door Jimny are 215/70/15 as per the display vehicle I saw in Dubai some time back. See pics attached. While these are fine for everyday, one may need a more aggressive AT tread like a Geolandar G015, for that weekend grassland drive.

Yes certainly the 5 door Jimny whenever it comes, will not be a cheap car to buy. It will definitely be a Nexa car. And I for one, will be very pleasantly surprised if it clocks in on road in Bangalore at anything less than 18 lacs.

And indeed you are bang on, that the feel and characteristics of the old style recirculating ball steering which is there in the Gypsy, is likely to appeal only to a person used to Jeeps and similar. A lot of the new age Gypsy owners have anyway all retro fitted their Gypsys with the Koyo Power steering unit because anyway most of them have also upsized their tyres.

The Thar as you rightly said, has been designed as a multi use vehicle, targeted to appeal to urban, style and image focussed customers as well as rural, utility focussed customers. Good commercial thinking there by M&M, to create that wider mass appeal. This is visibly endorsed by the absolute rash of newly minted leisure off roaders that the advent of this vehicle has spawned (not that that is necessarily a good thing, considering the pressure on the environment, especially in our country where there are no proper regulations on off reading and no proper enforcement of the laws of trespass and no green laning laws and all.)

Saying all this, personally, I would place much greater value on vehicles like the Jimny and the Thar, than I ever will, on front wheel driven, two wheel driven objects like the Creta, Venue, Sonet, Seltos and their ilk. Function outweighs Form, in my book.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-7e7521293a3747668371012ca8367b4c.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-976851eb12af445ca3ed8da18217fe78.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 09:02   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post

Thar with its rack and pinion HPS is still good for a proper SUV unlike ScorpioN going for an EPS. Just didn't like the EPS feel on the ScorpioN, I mean, didn't really match the character of a heavy SUV like the ScorpioN. But I guess Slow speed city driveability is comfortable with the EPS. Although I am doing fine with the Thar's HPS and it feels good to have some heaviness on the steering wheel, reminding me that I am driving a proper SUV.

Jimny's steering is a proper SUV steering wheel made to suit its character. Robust and abuse friendly. Also being Body on frame, it will be one of the heaviest cars by Maruti Suzuki in India.
But we never know, 5 door Jimny might be fitted with a rack and pinion HPS or even EPS (Hopefully Suzuki from Japan has more control over the 5 door Jimny project than Maruti of India)

Surely, Maruti Suzuki won't be pricing it competitively. Maximum profit margin will be the aim. Looking at the current pricing strategy of Maruti, its more or less a confirmation that the Jimny will be an expensive toy.

All these Jimny 5 door pictures make the Jimny look great especially with the Matte black Camo (I wish MS launches a matte black color option). But if someone parks a New WagonR near it, the actual size of the Jimny will be revealed. I guess it will have similar dimensions to a Premier Rio but a lot more boxier.

If MSIL prices it similar to the Thar Petrol, it will be somehow ok for the enthusiasts and for the Youtubers and influencers who will buy it for content making.
But once the honeymoon phase is over or Mahindra pulls out another rabbit out of the hat with the Thar 5 door, it will be a bit of a tough sell for a small SUV for around Rs 18 lakhs or more on-road.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 16th September 2022 at 09:06.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 11:53   #75
BHPian

Quote:

They have received few of these recently. I'm not sure if this is the one which was described in the tender.
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-ladakharmy2.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-ladakharmy.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed