Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2022, 12:30   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
A 700-900 kg kerb weight of vehicle to carry a payload of 700-900 kg as per the Technical requirements table of this RFI document. Is it possible technically? Or does this 700-900 kg category mean a vehicle capable of carrying this much of load?
As far as I know the Weight Class is the carrying capacity under adverse conditions. For example the normal Tata Truck is classified as a 3T vehicle. In civilian duty it carries > 10T.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 13:04   #77
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Thar with its rack and pinion HPS is still good for a proper SUV unlike ScorpioN going for an EPS. Just didn't like the EPS feel on the ScorpioN, I mean, didn't really match the character of a heavy SUV like the ScorpioN. But I guess Slow speed city driveability is comfortable with the EPS. Although I am doing fine with the Thar's HPS and it feels good to have some heaviness on the steering wheel, reminding me that I am driving a proper SUV.

Jimny's steering is a proper SUV steering wheel made to suit its character. Robust and abuse friendly. Also being Body on frame, it will be one of the heaviest cars by Maruti Suzuki in India.
But we never know, 5 door Jimny might be fitted with a rack and pinion HPS or even EPS (Hopefully Suzuki from Japan has more control over the 5 door Jimny project than Maruti of India)

But once the honeymoon phase is over or Mahindra pulls out another rabbit out of the hat with the Thar 5 door, it will be a bit of a tough sell for a small SUV for around Rs 18 lakhs or more on-road.
I concur with much that you say Sir.
I vastly prefer my Hydraulic PS in the Thar as compared with the flimsy feeling EPS in the Scorpio N. Its nice to have a weighty steering when one is driving on a highway or in the city. It feels much more reliable and direction-sure.
I too, sincerely hope that they retain the Original character of the Jimny and dont over-dilute it for India and yes, in this particular case (as has been true in the case of S Cross and Ignis) I am sure Suzuki Motor Corp will exercise a little more discretionary control over their Indian brethren with their proven propensity to go after the lowest end of the market by cutting as many corners and as much cost as they possibly can.
Your postulate about the tough sell for the little Jimny at 18 Lacs is very probably true, once the Thar 5 door comes out. However, there is a counter balancing theory too - the newer age youngsters, the new avatars of the earlier ‘yuppies’ will very probably continue to head towards the Jimny because of its tighter proportions, cuteness and all this without any compromise on useable space and capability. So it will be just perfect for a small family who like road trips and a bit of adventure and fun. It is very clear how this new demographic is becoming increasingly evident in India.
The 3 door Jimny is practical and utilises space adequately. Its a bit like the 3 door Thar but better finished.
If the Scorpio N’s inefficient and ungainly space utilisation design reality is anything to go by, I think the 5 door Thar will suffer from the same shortcomings.
If one looks at the price point of 18 lacs ish on road as speculated, for the Jimny, frankly, in my book, it is a far better and much more practical option at the price than the Creta or New Brezza or Hyryder or Sonet. Unless of course one is looking specifically for an AWD crossover Hybrid, in which case the Hyryder and new Brezza will get chosen.
Here is a photo of the rear storage area in the Jimny.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-15e8b49e92d4449b8d7ab4f462947341.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-60ad7d4bafa844e3804de81cf1ab4521.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-a4fee153007b49e9b6c5e35fb479dc2c.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 17:00   #78
Senior - BHPian

Another day, another sighting of the Jimny 5-door version.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-smartselect_20220916165912_instagram.jpg

Source : MotorBeam
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 18:53   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Earlier we were seeing a whole bunch of morphed 5-Door Jimney images. It is finally great to see production spec variants on the Indian roads. This means, we are probably getting closer to the launch some time next year.

The black on with red wheels is already in my shopping car.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 19:08   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Earlier we were seeing a whole bunch of morphed 5-Door Jimney images. It is finally great to see production spec variants on the Indian roads. This means, we are probably getting closer to the launch some time next year.

The black on with red wheels is already in my shopping car.
Matte black Paint on the Jimny with off-road spec wheels, it will look amazing.
(Micro G-Wagen )
Old 16th September 2022, 21:02   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Matte black Paint on the Jimny with off-road spec wheels, it will look amazing.
(Micro G-Wagen )
Saw this on Instagram, nicely done.
https://instagram.com/ss21nori?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Imagine similar setup on 5 door version. Traffic police will chase you that's another thing

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-301105840_797645478036218_8033598022947129506_n.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-301906697_379794384155282_2473905902771937142_n.jpg
LokiPilaniya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 09:03   #82
BHPian

Spotted this on Instagram. Could be Photoshopped. Not sure. But it looks awesome
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-3d8ecbcd7a9c44be92530cb03e25caed_302577708_470422468307810_433420553659724099_n__01.jpg  

John is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 22:24   #83
BHPian

Never thought that the overall stance of 5 door Jimny would turn out to be so good as can be seen from the videos of the camouflaged vehicle.

Exciting times ahead!

Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 08:00   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

The latest craze for spies, Jimny hunted again:

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-1.jpg

volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 09:59   #85
BHPian

We need to see 5 door Jimny being tested rigorously in the terrains of Ladakh, Spiti and Zanskar. Then only we can believe that it is coming to India. No other country needs such testing in extreme terrains. Every metropolitan city and major urban areas in India have their own mini Ladakh, Spiti, river crossing kind of situation due to rains and no functional drainage facility. Hence, even an urban lifestyle vehicle has to be tested for these conditions.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 12:08   #86
BHPian

Firstly, I've very little talent with graphic design, but here's a rough overlay of a Jimny 5 door (based on sketch from SRK designs, and the leaked spec sheet which reveals the 5 door Jimny's size to be 3850mm long) over a photo of a new Brezza. By this, the Jimny should be roughly the same length as a Brezza with the rear spare wheel (3850+200) and a bit taller. It should have a higher seating position than the Brezza.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-jimny5d-vs-brezza.png
vivekgk is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 13:36   #87
BHPian

Getting to see a lot of content on the Jimny 5 door testing, It makes me worried regarding a few things.

Why is Maruti testing it only in the Urban environment?
Have they Maruti-fied the Suzuki Jimny? Like say - RWD only available in some variants? Softer more commuter friendly suspension? We already know it is getting the K15C which is a more Fuel efficient but lame version of the K15B (which is not a exciting engine already). Even with all this, Jimny 5 door will still be priced similar to a Thar.

Would have been happy to see spy shots of Jimny in Spiti, Ladakh, conquering Umlingla etc. Is there any?

I really hope we get the real deal with the "Suzuki" Jimny 5 door. Yes, localised plastic quality is fine by me but not a commuter Jimny 4x2.

All we can do is, wait and watch.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 18th September 2022 at 13:39.
dr_TJ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 16:23   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Getting to see a lot of content on the Jimny 5 door testing, It makes me worried regarding a few things.

Why is Maruti testing it only in the Urban environment?
Have they Maruti-fied the Suzuki Jimny? Like say - RWD only available in some variants? Softer more commuter friendly suspension? We already know it is getting the K15C which is a more Fuel efficient but lame version of the K15B (which is not a exciting engine already). Even with all this, Jimny 5 door will still be priced similar to a Thar.

Would have been happy to see spy shots of Jimny in Spiti, Ladakh, conquering Umlingla etc. Is there any?

I really hope we get the real deal with the "Suzuki" Jimny 5 door. Yes, localised plastic quality is fine by me but not a commuter Jimny 4x2.

All we can do is, wait and watch.
I strongly feel maruti will launch the base jimny/gypsy with rear wheel drive only to cater the poser janta and to provide a cheaper alternative to thar (form factor wise only). Pricing it close to thar can be very risky for maruti which is the reason why they will try to undercut thar by a good margin. Only enthusiasts and purists will go with 4wd variants because they know jimny will be more capable off road.
iamnvn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 19:35   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Knowing Maruti, a 2WD base version is very likely. I just hope they also offer the 4WD option for those of us who need it. My only skepticism is about the engine and the damn 4-Speed AT. Having gotten used to the performance of the Thar Petrol AT, I don't know how I will adjust to the "Kitne Dehti" engine.

I hope they give us an upgraded power train, but my expectations from Maruti is extremely low. They thrive mostly on im-passionate buyers so their mind set is also the same.
4x4addict is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 21:31   #90
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me? The cuteness of the 3 door seems to have been lost with the 5 door.
jinojohnt is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks