Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2022, 21:58   #91
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Is it just me? The cuteness of the 3 door seems to have been lost with the 5 door.
You are not alone man. There may be more 3 door fans than 5 door fans, including me.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 00:52   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Knowing Maruti, a 2WD base version is very likely. I just hope they also offer the 4WD option for those of us who need it. My only skepticism is about the engine and the damn 4-Speed AT. Having gotten used to the performance of the Thar Petrol AT, I don't know how I will adjust to the "Kitne Dehti" engine.

I hope they give us an upgraded power train, but my expectations from Maruti is extremely low. They thrive mostly on im-passionate buyers so their mind set is also the same.
If there's a RWD version, hope it comes with IFS. Might as well go the whole hog and improve the ride a bit.

We haven't seen any spy shots that give a clear view of the undercarriage, but I think I can make out a front differential in most of the pics here. From the stance, I think they're all 4WD.

I hope they tune the K15C for some better bottom end performance, and rejig the 6AT ratios to suit the car's additional weight. This isn't really a car that should be doing speeds in excess of 140 or even 120, so the ratios can be adjusted accordingly.
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 12:17   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Jimny/ 'Gypsy' 5 door:

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-marutijimny5doorspiednewangles31068x601.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-marutijimny5doorspiednewangles21068x601.jpg

Name:  marutijimny5doorawdgrandvitarasuv1768x536.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  73.1 KB

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-2.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-3.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th September 2022 at 12:34.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 13:30   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

This article in Rushlane talks about the Jimny being offered only in 5 door version. It may get the AWD system from the Grand Vitara.

Quote:
In India, Maruti Jimny 5 door is likely to get AWD system from Grand Vitara, with multiple drive modes. Lifestyle off-roaders are more of a niche in India and customers just want to be associated with the cool factor they come with. Most buyers are city dwellers and hardly take their off-roaders off the road. It is here that the Jimny makes a lot of sense in the city given its size and nimbleness.

The 5 door version is acceptable but why plonk the AWD from Grand Vitara and not the All Grip Pro available internationally? I feel that this may be true because they've already tested and launched the AWD with the 1.5L K series in Manual transmission. Getting the All Grip Pro mated to 1.4L boosterjet would be a costly affair and shoot the prices too high. In order to keep the price in check, they may offer it with the 1.5L K series and AWD from Grand Vitara. This also could be a reason why we are not seeing spy shots from Leh and Manali regions. Jimny may be an Urban Offroader when launched, a tamed 4×4.

I just hope that they launch an automatic Jimny with All Grip Pro or All Grip from Grand Vitara.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 19th September 2022 at 13:31.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 14:00   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
This article in Rushlane talks about the Jimny being offered only in 5 door version. It may get the AWD system from the Grand Vitara.
Literally makes no sense!
Why would a company as cost-conscious as Maruti make the Jimny 5-door compatible with the AllGrip Select when the AllGrip Pro is already compatible with it?

I believe changing from 4WD to AWD will require a lot of changes to the chassis, and I do not think Maruti would bother with doing it since it would cost more money and that too without providing any benefits! Not to forget that the AllGrip Pro is already available at the Gujarat plant.

Moreover, Rushlane isn't the news agency that can be trusted. They've been doing such stunts since forever to get more website clicks!
theAutomaniac is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 14:19   #96
BHPian

Quote:

The 5 door version is acceptable but why plonk the AWD from Grand Vitara and not the All Grip Pro available internationally? I feel that this may be true because they've already tested and launched the AWD with the 1.5L K series in Manual transmission. Getting the All Grip Pro mated to 1.4L boosterjet would be a costly affair and shoot the prices too high. In order to keep the price in check, they may offer it with the 1.5L K series and AWD from Grand Vitara. This also could be a reason why we are not seeing spy shots from Leh and Manali regions. Jimny may be an Urban Offroader when launched, a tamed 4×4.

I just hope that they launch an automatic Jimny with All Grip Pro or All Grip from Grand Vitara.
As per my past experience all the websites like rushlane, motoroids, motorbeam, carwale, cardekho very unreliable. They just spread fake rumours to get more traffic and they post something daily to be in the race. Some of their content writers are complete noobs.

I only trust Autocar India which mostly posts genuine and authentic articles.
iamnvn is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 15:34   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't make sense even for Maruti to do this because Jimny is a BOF SUV with a Longitudinally placed engine sending power to the rear wheels through a propeller shaft and a transfer case for 4H and also low range 4L.

Going for AWD will cost huge in terms of re-engineering stuff like Engine lay-out and suspension.

And I know many people don't really know the difference between AWD and 4x4 (Part-time with proper Low range or Full time 4x4 with Center Differential) so this might be causing some confusion among the so-called Auto Journos.
And with these new websites from these publications and youtube channels, they can make a lot of click bait articles to keep the ball rolling and views coming.

So, one thing is certain, Maruti being Maruti, might make a RWD only Jimny but never going to put in the extra huge sum of money to put in a AWD system on a car like the Jimny.

Anyways, take any Jimny related news with a pinch (rather Tablespoon) of salt, unless something really certain is being announced by MSIL themselves.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 19th September 2022 at 15:38.
dr_TJ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 21:39   #98
BANNED

Quote:
It is just Rushlane being 'Rush'lane. Rushing to publish articles without any proof to back their claims.

Atleast if there was a spyshot of the interior which vaguely hints the allgrip select knob, people would have believed. All they have is the exterior spyshots which they publish almost everyday.

Maybe they got bored publishing this everyday and just threw this AWD story in to add some spice.
tarmacnaut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 22:01   #99
BHPian

I am sure the Jimny will remain a Jimny with only 4x4 offering. Jimny/Gypsy nameplate isn't just a name but tradition carrying with it a long legacy of performance and pride. Suzuki would not like to dilute it by offering a 4x2.
mpant05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 01:31   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpant05 View Post
I am sure the Jimny will remain a Jimny with only 4x4 offering. Jimny/Gypsy nameplate isn't just a name but tradition carrying with it a long legacy of performance and pride. Suzuki would not like to dilute it by offering a 4x2.
You mean that the newly launched Grand Vitara carries the same DNA of the original Grand Vitara?

Maruti Suzuki is master in diluting the names/ legacy. Hope you didn't forget earlier Baleno or the original Zen.

5 door Jimny with AWD as a life style vehicle? I have doubt on this theory. We Indians give more weightage to the road presence. It would be a tough job for Jimny to beat the road presence of Thar. Jimny could be a hit among the car enthusiasts and eventually more number of urban users can get attracted to Jimny if it is offered with its originality intact- a 4x4 no-nonsense go anywhere SUV. Just think about the new Gurkha. This new iteration of Gurkha with its originality almost intact has become favourite among the urban buyers. Many urban users are buying the Gurkha as a lifestyle vehicle, and enjoying its' full potential. It has got the look, immense road presence, proper 4x4 with mechanical diff locks, and no ad-blue fluid addition, heaters for start-up in sub-zero temp.

In my opinion, Jimny should follow the Force Gurkha model instead of 5 door in 4x2 mode or just the AWD.

Last edited by RijuC : 20th September 2022 at 01:54.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 01:50   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This post will clear all the doubts-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5388226 (Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?)

This line says it all-

Quote:
The steering was lovely to hold and the 4H/4L lever was nicely placed below the 5 MT lever. The front power window switches were next to 4WD lever.
Autocar India shared few specs of the Jimny too.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  230.3 KB

Last edited by Samba : 20th September 2022 at 02:00.
Samba is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 09:40   #102
BHPian

With Maruti, we will never know until launch. Hopefully, it will have proper 4wd, to match the character of this car. Anything less than this will be a pity.
Old 20th September 2022, 09:40   #103
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see the 4-door retains the spare wheel at the back and not at the bottom. It gives the car a more SUV and rugged look especially if you swap the factory tyres with proper off-road ones.
Old 20th September 2022, 16:05   #104

I am quite sure even if they introduce limited no 3 door versions at the same price as 5 door, they will still have takers & by doing this Maruti can at least respect sentiments of genuine enthusiasts wanting to own original Jimny Sierra. Having said that, will it be far difficult for Maruti to offer the 3 door version considering they are already being manufactured in India for exports. I have no idea but heck Maruti, at least give us an option here.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 20th September 2022 at 16:53. Reason: Missing capitalizations.
Old 21st September 2022, 08:27   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
It may get the AWD system from the Grand Vitara.
Not possible bro. The AWD System offered in the soft-roaders from Suzuki is meant to used in transversely mounted engines/gearbox application to give part time AWD functionality for predominantly front wheel drive vehicles. This is typical of most soft-roaders.

The Jimny on the other hand is a proper body on frame vehicle with longitudinally mounted engine/gearbox/transfer case. It will be more expensive for Maruti to re-engineer the vehicle and make it a soft roader rather than extend the wheel base and add 100 mm.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks