Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2022, 21:48   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Now as far as the Jimny is concerned, there is no Strong Hybrid in it for India. I have no idea about Japan variant. The Indian variant will have full Auto and not the AGS.
Thanks for the clarification. I will trust you more than any other source when it comes to Suzuki. It would be good to have a regular AT than the AGS of Suzuki Hybrid.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 11:08   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
We need to see 5 door Jimny being tested rigorously in the terrains of Ladakh, Spiti and Zanskar. Then only we can believe that it is coming to India.---
Here You go!

Quote:
its 5 door iteration has been caught on test in Ladakh along with the Grand Vitara and Mahindra Thar.
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st October 2022 at 11:12.
volkman10 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 12:37   #123
Senior - BHPian

Jimny 5-door version spotted testing in Leh along with Thar and Bolero.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-smartselect_20221001123522_twitter.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-smartselect_20221001123538_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 13:27   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
If I may speculate, Maruti Suzuki might be planning to launch a 2WD (Rear Wheel Drive) version of Jimny 5-door and pit it against the Bolero.

My reasoning is that
1. Bolero has no direct competition.
2. Bolero always sold in good numbers.
3. Maruti Suzuki has similar brand identity as Mahindra in rural areas (ie. easily available parts, reliable, FNG friendly, etc.) hence, Maruti Suzuki would be one of the very few manufacturers whose product can take on the mighty Bolero and gain market share.
The Mechanic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 14:52   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here You go!
This is grand.

Jimny undergoing testing in Ladakh region means it is almost certain for the Indian market.

Meanwhile, we are able to see a Grand Vitara behind the Jimny. That means the GV is not that bad for the mountains. From the GV review thread we understood that it cannot climb the inclines when fully loaded.

I would request you to kindly share this photograph in the Grand Vitara review thread also. From the photographs it is evident that GV can cross the high mountain passes.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 16:24   #126
BHPian

Finally Maruti have put an end to all speculations from websites like rushlane and few people here on team-bhp that Maruti may have converted the Jimny/Gypsy from a hardcore off-roader to a soft-roader. Rear wheel drive only variant can be an option but forget about AWD.
I think its time to get excited and wait for the official launch.
iamnvn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 17:26   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Finally, at long last, this seems to put an end to the endless speculation. It will be lovely indeed to have this vehicle launched in India. Ideal little thing for a small family who are also interested in a bit of ‘go anywhere’ road tripping.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 19:33   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
If I may speculate, Maruti Suzuki might be planning to launch a 2WD (Rear Wheel Drive) version of Jimny 5-door and pit it against the Bolero.

My reasoning is that
1. Bolero has no direct competition.
2. Bolero always sold in good numbers.
3. Maruti Suzuki has similar brand identity as Mahindra in rural areas (ie. easily available parts, reliable, FNG friendly, etc.) hence, Maruti Suzuki would be one of the very few manufacturers whose product can take on the mighty Bolero and gain market share.
What i believe the Jimny line up could look like based on the inputs you have provided :
1. Jimny will not compete with the Bolero (its launched for the city dweller as well as the adventure freak) . In non metro areas it will be primarily bought as a showcase vehicle .
2. Jimny will surely have a loaded 2WD Alpha variant which should be considerably cheaper and the preferred choice for city dwellers
3. 2WD Alpha variant (available in MT & 6AT) will be toppled by a 4WD Alpha Plus (MT & AT{preferably 6 speed})
4. While this is a mere speculation a sunroof (partial) will also be there atleast in 2WD variants.
5. Taking into consideration the prices of the GV Twins , expect the onroad pricing for the top end 4by4 6 speed Automatic to touch north of 19 Lakhs ex showroom

Freaks like me will probably end up buying the 4by4 6 speed AT top end variant while rarely taking it anywhere.

Last edited by drift2race : 1st October 2022 at 19:35.
drift2race is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 21:55   #129
BHPian

It's a tough call for me now. Already allotted GV smart Hybrid (basically the non-hybrid) ZETA AT, Scorpio N Z4 AT Petrol (November) or Diesel (December) with price protection have to be cancelled if I opt for the Jimny.

However, the Jimny may loose 4x4 hardware. And the top end Automatic Transmission variant will definitely touch 25 Lakhs OTR.

I wish to have the 4x4 AT variant in Neon Green colour or any other bright colour.

Plus points for the Jimny for us (just 2 occupants for 90% time):

1. Go anywhere vehicle,
2. Petrol engine (for Delhi NCR) with expected 12 kmph+ FE,
3. Compact footprint (perfect for narrow single lanes in the mountains and congested city roads),
4. Bulletproof reliability and excellent service network.

Disadvantages (based on reviews of international markets, recent Brezza and GV costs):

1. Extremely high cost,
2. Bare minimum features,
3. Super cheap Maruti Suzuki interior quality,
4. Uncomfortable ride on city road and tarmac,
5. Unsafe and unstable for highways (my daily commute is more than 60%,on highways),
6. Risky for winding mountain roads.

Last edited by RijuC : 1st October 2022 at 22:11.
Old 1st October 2022, 22:11   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
It's a tough call for me now. Already allotted GV smart Hybrid (basically the non-hybrid) ZETA AT, Scorpio N Z4 AT Petrol (November) or Diesel (December) with price protection have to be cancelled if I opt for the Jimny.
One in hand is better than 2 in the bush?

All 3 vehicles (GV, Scorpio, Jimny) are very different in what they offer. Maybe time to prioritise what matters the most (to you)?
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 22:13   #131

Quote:

Attachment 2363532

Link
That is Lahaul. Either Sissu/Gondhla by the looks of it. But definitely the Jimny is heading towards Ladakh for high altitude testing. Ideally they should head to Zanskar as the roads are much rougher there.

Either way I am very happy that the Jimny is nearing its launch. I can't wait to get my hands on it next year and do a winter trip to Zanskar.
inmotioninc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:49   #132
Senior - BHPian

With the small car dimensions of the Jimny, a 1.2L Turbo petrol engine would have made it a small car (as per our Government's definitions) and would have helped save a lot on taxes!! Sigh.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 08:03   #133
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
With the small car dimensions of the Jimny, a 1.2L Turbo petrol engine would have made it a small car (as per our Government's definitions) and would have helped save a lot on taxes!! Sigh.
I asked this very question many years ago in ref to the Maruti Gypsy. It measures 4010mm in length. Merely by knocking off 10mm the folks at Maruti could have neatly ducked under the 4 metre rule and helped the consumers avoid a bunch of taxes, while still giving all the functional advantages the Gypsy always had.

But then, this is Maruti Suzuki we are talking about. They are in their way, just like the erstwhile Premier Auto or Hindustan Motors or Chittaranjan Locomotive Works. Steeped in the old ways and nary a glimmer of light at the tunnel as regards the future and ‘lifestyle’ and all the rest of it.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:40   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I asked this very question many years ago in ref to the Maruti Gypsy. It measures 4010mm in length. Merely by knocking off 10mm the folks at Maruti could have neatly ducked under the 4 metre rule and helped the consumers avoid a bunch of taxes, while still giving all the functional advantages the Gypsy always had.

But then, this is Maruti Suzuki we are talking about. They are in their way, just like the erstwhile Premier Auto or Hindustan Motors or Chittaranjan Locomotive Works. Steeped in the old ways and nary a glimmer of light at the tunnel as regards the future and ‘lifestyle’ and all the rest of it.
I guess they know this thing better than all of us. There can be a lot of factors why maruti is not plonking the turbo charged engine in their cars below 4mtrs.

1. Turbo charger cost (including R&D) = Tax benefits

2. Uncertain future of ICE engines due to ever changing govt policies related to emission norms, ethanol etc.

3. Naturally Aspirated is more reliable in long run and Maruti is known for its reliable and easy to repair engines.

4. There are not many products in their portfolio which can actually get benefit except Brezza and now Jimny/Gypsy. Grand Vitara is above 4mtr, so it will only add to the cost rather then getting any tax benefit. Rest all the cars in their portfolio are doing fine with 1.2 litre engine. So scale will not be that big as per Maruti's standards.

5. More focus on Hybrids and fuel efficient petro engines as Maruti is known for fuel efficient engines.

6. I have seen a lot of people on internet and in real who are regretting their decision of going with turbo charged hyundai and kia products due to low fuel efficiency which is in single digits in most cases.

7. Performance hungry enthusiasts are very low in number which is clear from the fate of cars like Punto Abarth, Baleno Boosterjet, polo TSI etc. Buyers in category above 17-18 lac can only afford the less efficient engines. May be the success of Grand Vitara can force maruti to consider localizing a turbo engine for India but chances are slim as they have projected the Grand Vitara as the most fuel efficient SUV of India.
Old 2nd October 2022, 16:19   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
That Bolero is some random vehicle that just happened to be there in the photo frame.
4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed