Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2022, 09:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dealers will be responsible & liable for used cars they buy from individuals

When I sold my Jetta, I kept the 2nd key with me and asked the buyer to produce the proof of submitting the papers to RTO. Also in the delivery note, I got this documented that 2nd key to be given when paper transfer receipt is produced.
neoonwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 10:00   #17
BHPian

Re: Dealers will be responsible & liable for used cars they buy from individuals

Definitely great step to create more trust in the market.

Another one which should be implemented is to keep a centralized log of all maintenance, repair, police records, challans, insurance, RTO transactions etc by odometer reading. All service centers, authorized or not, must be required to feed this data. Such a log should be transparently accessible to buyers as well.

Yes, difficult to do. Changing is somehow always difficult for us humans. But will not only add more transparency in the system, but also help dealers give more realistic prices to both buyers and sellers.
Old 15th September 2022, 13:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
For direct sales, you don't have to rely on buyers to do the transfer. It is the responsibility of seller to transfer the car.
*SNIP*
I believe you're mistaken. It is the responsibility of the BUYER to transfer ownership within 14 days of buying the vehicle.

The seller's responsibility ceases with filling up the forms 29/30 etc. (with the buyer's information filled in) and submitting the same to the RTO or handing them over to the buyer.

There is one problem with my statement above - if the sale was to a dealer, then it is not possible to fill in the buyer's details; and this is where sellers had problems. This has now (hopefully) been resolved with this new information.

However, I believe this should be extended to any buyer - individual/private and dealers (registered with the government or not).

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 14:04   #19
BHPian

The news doesn't mention the nitty gritty of how they are going to bring into effect , no clear definition of seller, dealer responsibilities. This attempt to formalize transaction of used vehicle depends on additional details which are still not mentioned.

My imagination states that this is directed at the unorganized used car dealers. From their perspective , they are going to find ways to evade the soon to be mentioned directives which would help bring the policy in effect, especially those directives which will be detrimental to their interests. Their sole interest is to extract maximum profit from the deal.

This mention of cars parked in their yards! What yards? , a visit to any of these unscrupulous dealers and what you have is : few cars parked in front of their shops, highly likely public pedestrian space taken over. Would that be considered as their 'yard'?

A visit to any of these car dealers and you cant find the car that you are looking for, well, the car is with the owner, the dealer will call the owner , the owner will send the vehicle accompanied by his driver. Its time for the prospective buyer to wait, and after considerable time. The car comes and by the looks of the exterior , you already have doubts whether you are going for a test drive or not! Nevertheless, where is the ownership?, well , it still lies with the owner. The car never was with the dealer. This has been going on for some time. Enough said for the 'deemed' ownership clause.

Then there is this mention of the cost of upkeep of used vehicles borne by dealer. I wouldn't trust these unscrupulous dealers spending a single dime on those used vehicles for their upkeep. Unless it allows them to tamper vehicle odometer to to show less mileage than the actual one.
Old 15th September 2022, 14:42   #20

I have exchanged my Ford Figo to the Authorized Ford Dealer at that time (Hans Ford, Chennai) and bought Ecosport, in March 2021. Now that Ford has exited India and the dealership also changed to Mahindra, I don't know whether the car is sold or not. Tried to reach the sales person (who was handling), but no proper response.

Can someone help me how to proceed?
Thank You.
Ananth
Old 15th September 2022, 15:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

This workaround process has always existed. It's just that most private sellers need the cash sooner than later, and bears all the risk of the car getting damaged, stolen etc.

It's called consignment sales. Maybe it will become more popular in India now
Old 15th September 2022, 15:17   #22
BHPian

This rule if comes in to force will be such a relief. We exchanged our Punto in February for the Jeep Compass and the dealer HYSON Jeep had promised the ownership transfer will happen within 3 months. I was assured that they already have an individual buyer and the agreed amount was transferred to my account directly by the buyer. After one month also no progress was happening with the RC transfer and I got suspicious. I started searching and without much difficulty found out our Punto being listed in Olx under a used car dealer’s name. Furious, I called up the SA at Hyson and expressed my concerns. He connected me to the person who had taken over the car. I was assured that the car is not being used except for short test drives and he gave a lot of personal reasons for changing his plans & needing to sell off the car. The fellow promised to keep me updated and that he will somehow sell it within few months even if he doesn’t make any profit. I wasn’t convinced, but anyway I had no options left. True to his word about 2 months later I got the RTO sms for ownership transfer and now the process has been completed. Considering the Punto not being a buyer’s favourite, I feel quite lucky that all went well. The only damages I suffered was 2 fast tag payments and a lot of “I told u” from the wife
Night Raven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 17:37   #23
APV
BHPian

A welcome move, hope this brings a positive impact to the already buzzing used car market. Nevertheless, there will always be dealers who would look for short cuts - playing with unsuspecting customers.
Old 15th September 2022, 22:31   #24
Team-BHP Support

They need to distinguish between owner and keeper and ensure this is logged. More like an escrow account!

When one sells to a dealer, the dealer becomes the registered keeper until the next owner comes along. Similarly when you lease, the car belongs to the leasing company and you are the registered keeper
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 00:20   #25
BHPian

My post some time back in another thread on this. Morth has invited public comments and please utilise the opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
This is the need of the hour to organize the used car market better. With Vaahan and everything becoming digital, it should be definitely possible.

Essentially the cars sold to dealer, shall be assigned in the Vaahan portal in the name of dealer by seller and it can be considered as a 'Goods in Trade' against the dealer and ownership temporarily assigned to the dealer. Insurance shall be by the used car dealer till it is sold. Dealer is accountable for any traffic violations. Only the 'number of owners' field will not increase. Once a buyer is found, it will undergo the Transfer of ownership process from the dealer. So there is no loss to the dealer on account of number of owners.

Overall, it is exactly how new cars/demo vehicles are handled by new car dealers. This way the ODO tampering will also be not possible at least for genuine seller cases. This will also plug lot of black money in the used car market and over a period of time only larger serious used car dealers will be in the market and fly by night operators will vanish.

Cars sold to individuals shall have the same process as now as there is clear accountability defined.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 12:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pananth View Post
I have exchanged my Ford Figo to the Authorized Ford Dealer at that time (Hans Ford, Chennai) and bought Ecosport, in March 2021. Now that Ford has exited India and the dealership also changed to Mahindra, I don't know whether the car is sold or not. Tried to reach the sales person (who was handling), but no proper response.

Thank You.
Ananth
First step is to check your vehicle's status on the RTO website.
If still in your name, then get in touch with the dealer.

Do you have any documentation stating that the car is with the dealer?
Old 17th September 2022, 16:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
This rule if comes in to force will be such a relief. We exchanged our Punto in February for the Jeep Compass and the dealer HYSON Jeep had promised the ownership transfer will happen within 3 months. I was assured that they already have an individual buyer and the agreed amount was transferred to my account directly by the buyer. After one month also no progress was happening with the RC transfer and I got suspicious. I started searching and without much difficulty found out our Punto being listed in Olx under a used car dealer’s name. Furious, I called up the SA at Hyson and expressed my concerns.
Hyson have always been lethargic (I'm being kind with the adjective) with exchange cars they procured. My brother exchanged his Linea for a compass and as you said it, Fiats are not exactly a buyers favourite, was at a private sellers premises for 5 months then another dealer for 2 months and we got the confirmation that the car was sold (sms from Vaahan) after almost 8 months. With him out of the country for a while and me with very little time we could not follow up regularly. We were terrified what these dealers/staff would be upto !

But almost an entirely different experience at True Value outlet though. They had a very official process and had given me some official forms (form 29 iirc) saying that True Value has taken possession. And we would receive text updates saying your vehicle KL-xx-XX-xxxx has been sold to true value / has been sent to RTO for transfer etc.
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 16:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pananth View Post

Thank You.
Ananth
Start with the Vahan website to check if the car ownership has been transferred to another name. If not, best to take whatever documentation you have and nudge the police to file an NC (where the car is registered). They will push back since there isn't a case to file a complaint but an NC stating that vehicle is handed over to dealer and now untraceable can be filed.

Additionally, also send a registered AD to the relevant RTO and your last insurance provider informing them of the status. This might not get you off the hook completely but you've at least made the attempt to close all open loops should a mishap occur with the vehicle.

Most Viewed