Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2004, 11:57   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys,
My neighbour went to book a Maruti Esteem last week. The dealer told him not to book one cos Maruti is getting the "new look" Esteem. He said MUL has stopped production of the Esteem. Can anyone confirm this?? If its confirmed, then whats the "new look" Esteem??? Is it the Liana[99% otherwise they wudnt stop Esteem production]? Or is it the same old Esteem with some cosmetic changes???
Old 2nd March 2004, 12:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hmm thats an interesting piece of news. I feel Esteem production wont be stopped. It might be looking dated now but it still sells in good numbers and the amazing engine and slick gearbox is second to none and add the peace of mind that Maruti gives you with their service network. I guess what he meant was that maybe production of the current Esteem is stopped. Maybe its getting a make over like the Zen.

Lets wait and watch

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2004, 15:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Interesting, wonder what the new Esteem will look like.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 2nd March 2004, 15:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

Why can't they kill it ? Honda had the guts to phse out a successful model and bring in a new model. They should can the baleno also and bring out the Liana in various specs. Thry will get volumes at lower unit costs
Old 2nd March 2004, 15:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Both the Esteem and Baleno look outdated. High time they replaced them.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 2nd March 2004, 16:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess the best car to bring in at this time would be the Ignis. Its a good car I just wonder how they will price it

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2004, 17:08   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Esteem may have a relatively older chassis and all that butttttttttttttttt it does make immense sense for someone whos stretching his budget to accomodate a mid-sizer in his family. Its lightning fast, very fuel efficient, absolutely zero maintenance (my 130,000 km esteem will vouch for that) and a load of fun to drive.

Its all a matter of relevance to the market demands. Maruti must discontinue it only if they can replace it with an appropriate model.

GTO
Old 2nd March 2004, 21:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey V12. Maruti did hint that it would be facelifting the Esteem when it launched the facelifted Zen and indicated a March/April timing. I doubt though that it is the Liana, but if one goes to see current Baleno pricing, the point of having an Esteem over a Baleno is getting meaningless. I guess this is Maruti's policy. Take on Indigo with Esteem, Ikon/Accent with Baleno and Optra, City with the upcoming Liana. Hope my prediction is right.
Old 2nd March 2004, 22:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

hi guys ,

esteem production isnt being stopped atleast not in the near future. i an say this coz we are a major oem supplier to mul in the rubber components division and we get the intimation whether a particular model's production is being stopped . no such info yet, maybe a face lifted esteem on the way.

cheers
Old 2nd March 2004, 23:26   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Think about it,

Maruti sells a Zen for close to 4 lacs and Esteems from 4.75 to 5.75 lacs. Both these models are over a decade old now, almost totally localised and their production lineage must be 100% depreciated by now.

If you see the stock price of Maruti shooting up so much, just think about what margins these two models must be providing Maruti with.

GTO
Old 2nd March 2004, 23:29   #11
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ignis is just a redesigned Wagon R. The question is where will they fit in the Ignis? The best replacement for the Esteem is a "Baleno-powered" Liana.
Old 3rd March 2004, 01:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

I really dont think they should replace the Esteem. Its a proven work horse and still works well with everyone. A new design with an option of a 1.6 engine maybe from the Baleno should do the trick . I fewel the Esteem in its current avtaar looks any day better than the Baleno...

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2004, 02:04   #13
Team-BHP Support

If Maruti are planning to upgrade the Esteem, most of us would want the changes to be more than just cosmetic. Yes, the 1.6L Baleno engine would be great, but that means a better suspension, bigger brakes and many other changes. All these tweaks will lift the cost. Will people be ready to bear this extra cost for a really old car? Or is Maruti gonna forget about brakes and handling the way Mahindra did with the Scorpio?
Old 3rd March 2004, 05:14   #14
BHPian

I dont know if this is a very well known fact, but baleno is nothing but a scan..its a new generation esteem..it is badged esteem every where i have seen..

L8r
Old 3rd March 2004, 12:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

If Maruti doese go ahead with a new designed Esteem I hope they do a better job than they did on the Zen . The old Zen still looks clssier than the new one . I hope that after the new Esteem comes out it should look better than the out going one

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks