Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2022, 04:10   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda India might discontinue its 1.5L diesel engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post

Being a Delhite, I second you. However, I strongly believe that the major causes of pollution in Delhi are industries and crop-burning in the nearby states.

The policy makers should take a strong step against the REAL causes rather than putting the blame on diesel cars.

A well tuned and timely serviced diesel car will definitely produce less pollution than an abused petrol car or even for that matter a two-wheelers.

My opinion, no offence meant!
I remember having stood on the DTC bus (diesel) stops on the ring road during my childhood, and have breathed diesel fumes every time DTC bus stopped or passed by.

Even today, I find it disgusting to stand next to a diesel vehicle on the street whose driver has kept the engine in idling mode on a street at standstill to keep the AC on due to the smell of the diesel fumes. Likewise on traffic intersection or a busy basement parking in pedestrian situations. Sometimes, you can even smell fumes while boarding a plane in a non aero bridge situation.

A well tuned diesel engine is a myth best left for fairy tales.

Average pollution is one thing, real experience close to the vehicle exhaust is another.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 22nd September 2022 at 04:30.
ajayc123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 12:23   #32
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The big 2.0L and above diesels will continue in our market
It appears that this Fiat 2.0L/170bhp BS6 diesel motor will overtake the renowned 1.3 L Multijet diesel as the country's preferred diesel engine .
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 12:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Being a Delhite, I second you. However, I strongly believe that the major causes of pollution in Delhi are industries and crop-burning in the nearby states. The policy makers should take a strong step against the REAL causes rather than putting the blame on diesel cars.

A well tuned and timely serviced diesel car will definitely produce less pollution than an abused petrol car or even for that matter a two-wheelers.

My opinion, no offence meant!
It will produce less CO2 for sure. But sulphur. Nox and particulate matter will usually be higher in Diesel. Just standing next to a running diesel is nauseating. These things have to go away wherever feasible.
lina is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 13:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

I think a lower capacity (,<=1.5 lt) diesel which is turbo charged, is most definitely a better driving experience than an equivalent petrol NA or turbo, unless you are talking about the 1.2 TSI engine. I can safely say this since I have owned cars with some of the best small capacity engines in India, namely the 1.2 TSI, the 1.4 T-Jet, 1.5 IVTEC, the 1.3 MJD , the 1.5 K9K and now currently the 1.5 CRDI. I have found the 1.3 MJD and the 1.5 CRDI to be superior to others in terms of how quickly they can provide power to the wheels in the right gear. The 1.2 TSI too is pretty explosive in its own right, but only if you drive it in the Sport mode of the DSG. The 1.4 T-Jet somehow seems to be less well tuned for the car that it used to power (Linea) . The 1.5 iVTEC is deceptively fast from standstill, but not in terms of in-gear performance. The 1.5 CRDI is just a wonderfully creamy smooth diesel that has to be experienced to be believed. All in all, I dont mind continuing with the 1.5 CRDI for some more time, whatever else may be happening in terms of technologies. I feel that EV technology is still pretty nascent in asll aspects, and we are still in the equivalent of the 1930s ICE era for the EV .

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 22nd September 2022 at 13:06.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 22:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I have found the 1.3 MJD and the 1.5 CRDI to be superior to others in terms of how quickly they can provide power to the wheels in the right gear. The 1.4 T-Jet somehow seems to be less well tuned for the car that it used to power (Linea). The 1.5 CRDI is just a wonderfully creamy smooth diesel that has to be experienced to be believed .
After spending more than 3.5 years with my T-Jet Linea which has run 34k kms I can safely say that your statement cannot be farther from truth. The way T-Jet spins its wheels in First, Second and even Third gears is incredible. Cruising at 100 kmph if you stomp on the A Pedal the way it builds speeds all the way upto unmentionable speeds is amazing. I find the city driveability to be good too. The engine and the gear ratios are perfect for this car. I don't have experience with the BS6 1.5 CRDI from Hyundai but it's bigger cousin 1.6 CRDI powers my Verna and despite being around 90 Kgs lighter than the T-Jet and having more power and almost 25% more torque, Verna isn't any faster and definitely is lacking above 120 if you want to gain speed quickly, maybe that is because of its 6 speed box or the gear ratios but whatever it is the T-Jet is incredibly satisfying and thrilling to drive.
trinity0114 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 06:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
After spending more than 3.5 years with my T-Jet Linea which has run 34k kms I can safely say that your statement cannot be farther from truth. The way T-Jet spins its wheels in First, Second and even Third gears is incredible. Cruising at 100 kmph if you stomp on the A Pedal the way it builds speeds all the way upto unmentionable speeds is amazing. I find the city driveability to be good too. The engine and the gear ratios are perfect for this car.
I have mentioned T-Jet as lacking in relative terms. When I first purchased the Linea back in 2011, even I thought it was the best ever. But then over the years one tends to put things in perspective. It is still one of the best engines out there but there are others too. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The one thing I can say for sure, the Linea is dynamically speaking, the most adept at handling the turbo petrol power compared to the others.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 07:41   #37
BHPian

Honda has gone whole hog on offering petrol hybrid engines globally. I guess in India, a commitment similar to Toyota would be warranted to scale hybrids.

Diesel is definitely on its way out for most car makers.
ellip5i5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 11:43   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Jatsram for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Quote:
Exclusive News! Today, I went to the Honda dealership to enquire about City diesel and Amaze. Dealership said that from the last 3 months, Honda showrooms are not taking new bookings for diesels and the company hasn't supplied diesel cars since Aug-Sept. The dealership said they have closed bookings for their entire Diesel lineup forever. They also said that Honda Cars India will release an official press statement in a few weeks on the lines of "The brand will phase out it's i-DTEC range and focus on future alternatives such as EVs, Hybrid vehicles and biofuels etc." According to the dealership, there is no hint yet about their upcoming SUV lineup.
Tushar spoke to a few dealerships:
Quote:
Courtesy Honda:

Diesel variants of the Amaze and City are not available.

Deccan Honda:

Amaze Diesel production has been stopped. Bookings stopped across India

City Diesel is available but there's a waiting.

Garve Honda:

Amaze diesel is not available. The dealership is not taking bookings.

City diesel is available. It has a 1 month waiting.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 12:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
It will produce less CO2 for sure. But sulphur. Nox and particulate matter will usually be higher in Diesel. Just standing next to a running diesel is nauseating. These things have to go away wherever feasible.
For every barrel of Oil, we get ~90 Liters of Petrol and ~28 liters of diesel.

We consume almost 5 Million barrels of Oil everyday. No one is going to throw that diesel away.

Someone is going to burn that diesel for some use. Why not use it in a highly regulated properly maintained automotive rather than in a road side generator or in unmaintained factories?

Earth is round and all the air and pollution do circulate the earth with air. Just by banning, you are not attaining anything good. If you want good, burn it in a regulated machinery for energy.

Running away from problems is not solving problems. Those who support banning fuels are not thinking from all perspectives.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 15:46   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
For every barrel of Oil, we get ~90 Liters of Petrol and ~28 liters of diesel.
Running away from problems is not solving problems. Those who support banning fuels are not thinking from all perspectives.
Even better solution is to use fewer barrels of oil! The global average price of Diesel is actually a little bit more than gasoline, which means there is higher demand for those 28 litres of Diesel coming out of barrel of oil than there is for the 90 litres of petrol!
Old 24th October 2022, 16:33   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

With Honda discontinuing the diesel engine, that leaves us with Hyundai, Kia, Tata, and Mahindra being the only mass-market manufacturers with a diesel engine car in their portfolio.

Force (with its Gurkha), MG, Jeep, Isuzu, Toyota, Citroen, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Jaguar, and Land Rover are the others having diesel cars, it is such a shame that we have hardly a handful of mass-market diesel manufacturers in India, whereas, before 2020, almost every manufacturer had a diesel car in its portfolio.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 19:04   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Even better solution is to use fewer barrels of oil!

The global average price of Diesel is actually a little bit more than gasoline, which means there is higher demand for those 28 litres of Diesel coming out of barrel of oil than there is for the 90 litres of petrol!
Well, almost all countries tried to cut down the consumption of Oil, The impact was, their economies went down. So, they all resorted to let demand dictate the consumption and worked hard on optimizing their automotive's for efficiency.

When you want to move all the stuff at the cheapest price, the demand for diesel will be high. Even at these prices, shipping using diesel is cheaper than using Petrol.
The west and the EU have a better management when it comes to inventories. If you try such things here, things gonna backfire very badly. The reason is the domestic inefficiencies, which contribute to consumption.

There is no easy solution to any of these things. But, banning or such blunt actions wont do any good.
Old 24th October 2022, 19:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

The Honda 1.5 diesel is by far the one of most unrefined diesel engines on sale, but on the brighter side, it is most fuel efficient too irrespective of what the ARAI kmpl figures say.

Those who own the Honda diesel engine would concur. Unless someone has really poor driving skills, extracting less than 18kmpl is impossible.

On the other hand sad that diesels are going away, we are essentially burning more quantity of petrol to cover the same amount of distance, which indirectly should lead to higher oil imports.

It is surprising that the automotive federation isn't raising their voice while numerous 2 decade old heavy commercial vehicles owned by the uber powerful are plying on the streets illegally.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 19:26   #44
BANNED

Honda diesels manufactured from aluminium block which lowers engine weight and refinement. The engine block used to crack as aluminium doesn't provide enough strength which is common issue. Else it is an efficient mile muncher.
Chevyspark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 09:08   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda to stop producing diesel engines in India from February 2023.

Japanese carmaker to discontinue its 1.5-litre diesel engine as it cannot meet the tougher RDE regulations coming next.

Quote:
after implementation of BS VI emission norms in April 2020, 21 percent of Honda’s total car sales came from the 1.5-litre diesel powertrain. This share, however, has further declined to only 7 percent of its total sales due to a shift in the customer’s preference towards petrol-powered cars. HCIL registered sales of about 30,000 to 35,000 units of diesel vehicles between CY2020 and CY2022.
Quote:
Furthermore, HCIL is in the process of phasing out the Jazz, WR-V and City (fourth generation) in due course of time as the three models in their current generation are nearing their end of lifecycle, and their next-generation global versions have not been lined up for India.
Quote:
Meanwhile, Honda is working on bringing a brand-new compact SUV (codenamed: 3US) to the Indian market around the middle of 2023 to regain its market share that has seen a significant drop in the past few years due to the lack of a strong SUV product portfolio. The new midsize SUV will come with both petrol and strong-hybrid powertrains

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st November 2022 at 09:12.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks